Individual song polls

I calculated my average rating for TBOS and I noticed that this method could be more accurate. I was surprised to get only 7.27 and I thought that my rating would be higher if I took into account the lenght of the songs:

R = r × l / L

R: Weighted average rating (a number from 0.042 if you give The Ides of March a 1 to 2.65 if you give ROTAM a 10)
r: Indivial song rating (out of 10)
l: Lenght of the song (min)
L: Lenght of the album (min)

The weighted average rating of the album is the sum of all the R.

The point of this is to show that longer songs should have more importance.
Take ROTAM. Most of us would give it a 10, but since there are 8 songs on Powerslave, this 10 is only worth a eighth of the regular average rating. However, its lenght represents more than a quarter of the album, so instead of being only 1,25 points of your total rating, it becomes 2.65 points.

My weighted average for TBOS is 7.90, not a huge difference but enough to go from 7 to 8 if we use round numbers.

Eh. I think most people consider songs as individual entities, rather than as by the time they last.

So, come September, there will be a big push to get members to rank the songs. The reason why is that in September I will gather our statistics and compare to the historic polls. I've been gathering polling data going back to 2004 and I am excited to see what this fresh set of polls marks for our rankings.

In addition, I'd like to recruit forum members to write short blurbs on individual songs, explaining why that member thinks it is where it ends up, if it deserves to be there, etc.

Oh damn, I guess I better vote then.
Also to the above, LC, I am available for any writing you need done.
I also wonder how this awesome project could be adapted into the ongoing Maidenfans revamp discussions.

I voted on all of the songs a week or so ago. Do we need to include a commentary or short blurb on the songs for the votes to count or nah?
Absolutely not. I don't have the time to go through each topic and see who posted thoughts. I haven't for every song.

Absolutely not. I don't have the time to go through each topic and see who posted thoughts. I haven't for every song.
Good that would be just terrible lol. I thought I remembered someone saying we had too, maybe I was mistaken. :p

@LooseCannon sorry if this has been answered but do you have a specific date in september when you will begin gathering statistics? Would like to know how quickly I should finish these.

@LooseCannon sorry if this has been answered but do you have a specific date in september when you will begin gathering statistics? Would like to know how quickly I should finish these.
Well I'm not back from vacation until Sept 13, and my own rankings aren't done. I'll likely collate the findings starting on the 30th.

Back