In what key is Powerslave?

For some reason, I ASSUME that Dickinson dosent really have any knolwadge in music theory.
He does seem to know basic chord progressions and stuff like that (Revelations) but I really don't think he knew what he was doing with Powerslave. This scale isn't even common in the east, so its kinda rare.

I wondered this for a long time: Did bruce actually write the entire song or does the writing credit goes for the lyricist?

Well, Harris also doesn't know music theory. Some people have a feel for music without having learnt to read notes (let alone scales) or something.

Harris never wrote something as outstanding as this part of powerslave. Music theory wise, don't crucify me!
Look, I agree with your statement, and that's why I said that he found it by accident. I found this scale, thought it was cool, wrote a part using it, and Dickinson played around and found that riff that, by chance, belongs to this scale. Whatever works I guess.

*Actually that part in Rime after the solos is interesting. I might check it out later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_maqam

There's further detail in the hebrew wikipedia. For some reason, they spell it "Hijaz" even though the hebrew one states it's named after the region Hejaz.

Upon further reading, I learnt that there's a distinction between a scale and a maqam, the musical modal structure of arab culture. Hijaz is a type of maqam, but apperantly the structure that is used in Powerslave is the one you use when going down, in a similiar fashion to Melodic minor: when you go down you use the natural minor.
http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/hijaz.html

Thank you for that info!

As for the writing credit, I believe it goes to both the lyricist and the composer... Here's an unproved theory: Since Bruce was under some contract with Samson during the Number of the Beast sessions, Maiden couldn't include him in the writing credits. I'm assuming that he helped the band write at least one or two songs, The Prisoner at the minimum, since he's been following the show and what not. Then the band repays him two albums later, giving him the full credit for Powerslave.

I was going to say the same for Revelations, but that particular song seems a bit less complex. I'm not a musician, so I could be very much mistaken.

Hmm, you might be right with this theory. I'm gonna guess that whatever knowladge he has he learnt from band members (not Maiden, because composing and playing parts of Revelations in a year is crazy!).

I remember him saying something about Run to the hills being based on rising sixths or something.
When was that?

Back