Imagining in maiden songs

Scared to fall asleep and dream the dream again

That's very similar to the line in Infinte Dreams: Scared to fall asleep again, in case the dream begins again -as I'm sure others have probably pointed out before. 

I'm suprised nobody's mentioned The Clansman yet.

Yeah, the Clansman is a good one too. Unfortunately, the images I get are too tainted by Braveheart as my main source of medieval Scottish imagery :S

Always felt kind of ambivalent about that song. It's about fighting for freedom, which I can agree with, but it also borders on the somewhat nationalistic side, something I think is problematic. Though that could be said for many of Maiden's war-songs, for some reason it always felt more tangible in The Clansman. Probably because it's partly written as a dialogue/speech. Lots of imperatives. But I digress, this isn't the IMC :p

I see what you mean, but it would be a little odd for a bunch of English guys to go around singing a Scottish nationalist song.

Duncan said:
I see what you mean, but it would be a little odd for a bunch of English guys to go around singing a Scottish nationalist song.

The fact that the lyrics are based on William Wallace is pretty irrelevant for the message; it's simply a way of cementing the idea of the song in history.  Maiden aren't supporting fervent nationalism or separatism; they're supporting the right for everyone to make their own choices and to be able to fight against oppression.

Raven said:
The fact that the lyrics are based on William Wallace is pretty irrelevant for the message; it's simply a way of cementing the idea of the song in history.  Maiden aren't supporting fervent nationalism or separatism; they're supporting the right for everyone to make their own choices and to be able to fight against oppression.

I can see that, and I understand it. However, that kind of rhetoric has been kind of hijacked by the extreme-right today. So it still makes me kind of ambivalent, even though I know that wasn't the original intent.

I think the rhetoric hijacked by the extreme right is fundamentally different to the sentiments expressed in The Clansman.

Might be, but phrases like "They are taking our land", "I'll take what is mine" etc. sound pretty close to me. On one level. As I said, I already understand that the sentiment behind the lyrics themselves is a wholly different one. But there's also a similarity that I get hung up on. Even though I know it's illogical :p

I can see what you mean by the coincidental similarities, but it is just that - coincidental.  The English *were* taking Scottish land, and the Scots did try (and succeed) to take it back.  Makes sense to me.

LooseCannon said:
I can see what you mean by the coincidental similarities, but it is just that - coincidental.  The English *were* taking Scottish land, and the Scots did try (and succeed) to take it back.  Makes sense to me.

While I was away in Austria, we did white-water rafting as an activity.  Our group teamed up with some Belgians, and on hearing we were Irish, one of them (a real cocky looking bugger...who didn't look very confident when swimming, heheh), cried 'Give Ireland back to the Irish!'...

...in a Scottish accent. <_<

Lightning Strikes Twice! There's really a double meaning to this song. If taken literally, you will see a catastrophic lightning storm in Dave and Janick's solos! Damn, it's so exhilarating! But the chorus, maybe lightning strikes twice can make me imagine of past mistakes and reliving them, prevalent on military blunders and stuff.

Very interesting all that !

I won't give any songs where I imagine something or it would be all Maiden songs because all has a story. And it's good to imagine something on all songs, not a few ones.

But sometimes you're too "taken" by the song to have the time to imagine something...You're just going mad !

It remember a things : Imagine all the people...

Back