If Maiden played a sixth Blaze era song live with Bruce?

Might be a bit biased with Virtual XI being my favorite album and Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger being my favorite Maiden song, but I genuinely believe most songs on that album would work amazingly well.

Hearing those songs with a proper production and with someone like Bruce at the vocals, who is masterful at interacting with the audience, I think most of them would get a new life and be much more appreciated by the fandom. Just look at The Clansman for example. The Angel And The Gambler is a meme, but it's stupid fun and I guarantee that people would have a great time live.

The Educated Fool would allow a bit more of Bruce's theatric side, while DLTTEOAS has the quiet middle section for the audience to participate, only to explode into the frantic section and release all the energy previously built up.

As far as I'm concerned I would go even further: a dedicated tour to that era with 7 tracks from The X Factor (the first 4, Judgement Of Heaven, Blood On The World's Hands and The Edge Of Darkness) alongside Judgement Day plus 3 tunes from Virtual XI (Futureal, The Clansman and The Educated Fool). Add to it 6 of the "must play" classics (i.e. Iron Maiden, TNOTB, The Trooper, 2MTM, Wasted Years and FOTD) and IMO you've got really cool era setlist.

As far as I'm concerned I would go even further: a dedicated tour to that era with 7 tracks from The X Factor (the first 4, Judgement Of Heaven, Blood On The World's Hands and The Edge Of Darkness) alongside Judgement Day plus 3 tunes from Virtual XI (Futureal, The Clansman and The Educated Fool). Add to it 6 of the "must play" classics (i.e. Iron Maiden, TNOTB, The Trooper, 2MTM, Wasted Years and FOTD) and IMO you've got really cool era setlist.
The Aftermath is also a great choice to do. :)

Some things should be left in the past, just a bad dream. I'm glad they didn't continue with Sign of the Cross live. Don't waste time on bad music.
There is no reason at all to play Blaze era Maiden. There are so many other great songs that don't get played live that are thousands of times better than any of the Blaze stuff.

Some things should be left in the past, just a bad dream. I'm glad they didn't continue with Sign of the Cross live. Don't waste time on bad music.
There is no reason at all to play Blaze era Maiden. There are so many other great songs that don't get played live that are thousands of times better than any of the Blaze stuff.
Well I’m glad your opinion isn’t shared by all. I have no idea why the blaze albums get so much hate. Whilst personally I think the X factor is a masterpiece virtual XI also has some great tunes. Blazes vocals perfectly suited those albums too.

The only issue I ever had with Blaze during his time with the band was that he sounded a bit rough on some of the old tracks live. Some of them I think he sounded better than Bruce!

It’ll never happen but I’d love a proper 90’s themed tour. Was really hoping they’d re release live at Donnington for the early years part 4 and tour that set list but tweak a few choices to throw in some unplayed blaze tracks.

Well I’m glad your opinion isn’t shared by all. I have no idea why the blaze albums get so much hate. Whilst personally I think the X factor is a masterpiece virtual XI also has some great tunes. Blazes vocals perfectly suited those albums too.
X Factor the drum sound is horrible, just horrible, doesn't sound like drums, more like slapping a jandle on concrete.
The volume contrast is horrible, really low volume and then really high. I need to reach for the volume button just to hear parts and then race for the volume again to not blow out my ears.

Overall the album is just brooding and grim. It's not fun. The songs structures are dull.

The only issue I ever had with Blaze during his time with the band was that he sounded a bit rough on some of the old tracks live.
A bit rough is an understatement. Blaze singing the old material was super painful to watch. I'm glad I never paid to see him sing with Maiden live.

Some of them I think he sounded better than Bruce!
LOL!

It’ll never happen but I’d love a proper 90’s themed tour. Was really hoping they’d re release live at Donnington for the early years part 4 and tour that set list but tweak a few choices to throw in some unplayed blaze tracks.
I wouldn't mind then doing NPFTD. That would be great. Fear of the dark, no thanks, X Factor and Virtual XI. I just don't think very many people would go to the concert.
I'm a big Maiden fan, but you couldn't pay me to sit through that.

Everything is obviously subjective, but Afraid To Shoot Strangers with Blaze is so superior to Bruce's version, it's not even funny. Absolutely fantastic rendition and I adore how Blaze sounds on the octave shift towards the end. Took a great song and made it even better.
Agreed. That being said, it's the only Bruce-song I think Blaze does a better job at. That song was meant for Blaze, they just didn't know so in 1992.

Everything is obviously subjective, but Afraid To Shoot Strangers with Blaze is so superior to Bruce's version, it's not even funny. Absolutely fantastic rendition and I adore how Blaze sounds on the octave shift towards the end. Took a great song and made it even better.
I have heard this before, and because of people saying this I have listened to Bruce and Blaze versions side by side.
There is no truth at all to the claim.
Bruce's version is easily better. It's not even close.

I have heard this before, and because of people saying this I have listened to Bruce and Blaze versions side by side.
There is no truth at all to the claim.
Bruce's version is easily better. It's not even close.
That's the beauty about opinions: There's no right or wrong. Both of out interpretations are just as valid. ;)

Though I have to admit I have no idea how someone can listen to the Blaze version and not recognize how fantastic it is. Makes the Bruce version seem plodding and almost like a demo, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Lightning Strikes Twice should have never left the setlist. The studio version may lack the punch it deserved but it just rocks in a live setting and with Bruce... oh boy, don't get me started on that!

Judgement Of Heaven is one of those songs which I feel suits Blaze's voice perfectly but I'm interested how Bruce will pull it, specially the chorus part.

The Aftermath - Again one of the songs I feel suffered because of production but would actually work well live. I can totally imagine Bruce shouting Scream for me *enter location here* when the 'breakdown' section comes. Songs from Blaze albums sound more heavy live.

P.S. While I know The Edge Of Darkness was a live staple during Blaze era, the only reason I'm reluctant to include it is because the lead harmony is practically that of Hallowed Be Thy Name speeded up.

Back