If Iron Maiden had to replace Nicko..

This gets overlooked. There's more to becoming a parody/cabaret act than just playing greatest hits setlists. It's also when a band continues to perform way past their prime at a continuing decline in abilities. Rush weren't at this point but it was coming. Alex was clearly struggling at some shows and Geddy's voice was starting to get unbearable. They stopped after a great tour before anyone could ask why they were still doing it. Better to leave the fans wanting more.

I'm fine with it. Sadly I didnt get to see them (last tour I saw was R30) this last time so I would love one last shot of course. The same for Maiden...go out while still enjoying the work and stop when it gets to be too much.

Yea, nothing says Rush isn't allowed to play anymore shows. I think they can get away with the occasional one offs without soiling their reputation, especially since R40 was never advertised as the definitive end of the band.

In general, I don't really understand the obsession with "farewell" tours. Hardly anybody truly stops after their farewell and the bands look like con artists when they continue to tour, even if they truly intended to call it a day when they set out on the tour. I don't want Maiden to fall into the same trap. By all means let the fans know if they think this might be it, but don't close the door on future performances.

I've got my mind set on Simon Dawson being the most realistic pick. He plays in Steve's band, has a fantastic style and fits the general profile (british, right age group, pint at the local pub type of guy)

Back