If Eternity Should Fail

How good is If Eternity Should Fail on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This is the track I mostly look forward listening to. Bruce solo material has been consistent for quite some time now. The reviews so far suggest it is quite an exciting song.

Ya, it will be really sweet to hear what the next Bruce solo stuff would have sounded like. Also, I'm wondering if this song will work as a live opener.

There's no way that's real. That's the Powerslave intro in the background, verbatim.

This is a phenomenal song. Incredibly powerful, grooving rhythm and heavy a la Bruce solo material.The rhyhm guitars are awesome. I heard them doing different things. One playing longer chords than others, and also some different scaling (perhaps voicing is the better word). It sounded very harmonic. The song has vocal melodies that are dramatic and catchy at the same time. It's an omen for the majority of the album: strong vocal melodies. Bruce sings awesome melodies, carrying the album with his captivating voice.

Both intro and outro are cool. I prefer the intro with impressive lyrics which I've unfortunately forgotten. Something like "this is the story of a man". The outro has a spoken part. A multitude of voices saying the lines. Sounds really dark.

There's no main guitar solo. The ending licks are by Adrian, underneath Bruce.

Best song of disc one, possibly best song of the album. But it has concurrence from the title track and the last three from disc two. Certainly this one is the most instantly grabbing song of them all. When it started I had goosebumps not just on my arm, but on top my head, legs, everywhere. Now again when I write this, I can't wait to hear it again.

Last edited:
I was really looking forward to hearing your opinion on the album, Foro! Thanks a lot!
You're welcome. There are three songs I am less happy about, at some point I was even starting to get worried because they came in a row. I'll try to write down what I remember.

Not surprised one bit that this song is awesome. The title got me excited at the very moment they disclosed the song titles and the lengths.

Just a couple of short observations...

The goosebumps thing has so far been unanimous with everyone (self included) I've talked to from the listening session. It really is a very striking, powerful song, with a dramatic build up of an opening that is completely justified by the rest of the song. I think the opening line was 'here is the soul of a man'. The atmosphere helped in that session, of course, but I bet anything it will also happen when you play this CD for the first time at home.

I was wondering what Eternity would be like, given that Speed of Light sounds like a natural opener, but this blows it out of the water. I think this was one of several Disc 1 songs with a significant outro. This was the one with the demonic sounding voice at the end, wasn't it, @Forostar?
The problem is, with such a huge start to the album, it's a hard act to follow, and that's probably why several Disc 1 songs don't come across as well.

Just a couple of short observations...

The goosebumps thing has so far been unanimous with everyone (self included) I've talked to from the listening session. It really is a very striking, powerful song, with a dramatic build up of an opening that is completely justified by the rest of the song. I think the opening line was 'here is the soul of a man'. The atmosphere helped in that session, of course, but I bet anything it will also happen when you play this CD for the first time at home.

I was wondering what Eternity would be like, given that Speed of Light sounds like a natural opener, but this blows it out of the water. I think this was one of several Disc 1 songs with a significant outro. This was the one with the demonic sounding voice at the end, wasn't it, @Forostar?
The problem is, with such a huge start to the album, it's a hard act to follow, and that's probably why several Disc 1 songs don't come across as well.

This is spot-on. Exactly my reaction the first time I heard it. It's terrific. Bruce lived up to the hype.

Back