If Eternity Should Fail

How good is If Eternity Should Fail on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
An epic opening for an epic album begins The Book of Souls, and you can easily envision the stone monument, the empty jungle... actually, you can picture the stuff the title track is going for quite well. The only Maiden song written in drop D tuning, this is pretty heavy affair with some great vocals from Bruce which sound way better than on the previous album. The chorus is repetitive but great. The instrumental is really cool and I even like the sinister outro. Overall, this has a ton of stuff going for it and is an awesome way to open the album. 9

Mystic intro opens this jewel and starts the album in a unique way. The riff and the melodic harmonies are superb. Bruce does an amazing job with his vocals on it. The chorus is golden. I also quite like the section with the drums and bass before the triple-lead harmonies starts - majestic. Adrian does a nice addition with his little solo at the end of the song. The outro is creepy, but suits the whole mystic atmosphere of the track (so does the intro). My only complain is why the song do not have a proper solo/s, but that's maybe because it was a Bruce solo song, at first. One of the best opening songs of Maiden! 9/10.

The first post I'm doing here, and what's better to start with than a comment on the opening song of one of my favorite Maiden albums. I still remember the first time hearing this song, and how the tears t floated down my cheek when the intro started.
This song is amazing in so many aspects! The intro creates a mystic and exciting atmosphere, which makes you so pumped for what's to come. When the songs then stars for real, it takes literally 2 seconds to realize that this is something out of the ordinary, even by Maiden standards. Here, Maiden is firing on all cylinders. The guitar works is of the charts and Bruce is delivering one of his strongest vocal performances in many years. The chorus is among the best and strongest moments has ever produced, can listen to it 1000 and never get tired of it. Up to the middle section, IESF stands out as one of Maidens best songs of all time IMO. After that it goes down a little. I don't like that little drum fill that follows chorus 2, and it also kind of pisses me off that the song doesn't have a proper solo. They should have extended the middle section, which in itself is very good, and filled it with a solo. That would have been so amazing to hear. The spoken outro is also a flaw for me. It feels so forced and random and doesn't really add anything to the song. It feels so anti-Maiden.
Despite these flaws, my grade for IESF is high, very high. The strongest parts of the song stands among the best Maiden has ever done, and with those adjustments I mentioned above, the song could have been the best Maiden song of all time for me. As it is now, the song gets 9/10, since there are some weaker parts that lowers the grade a litte

The first post I'm doing here, and what's better to start with than a comment on the opening song of one of my favorite Maiden albums. I still remember the first time hearing this song, and how the tears t floated down my cheek when the intro started.
This song is amazing in so many aspects! The intro creates a mystic and exciting atmosphere, which makes you so pumped for what's to come. When the songs then stars for real, it takes literally 2 seconds to realize that this is something out of the ordinary, even by Maiden standards. Here, Maiden is firing on all cylinders. The guitar works is of the charts and Bruce is delivering one of his strongest vocal performances in many years. The chorus is among the best and strongest moments has ever produced, can listen to it 1000 and never get tired of it. Up to the middle section, IESF stands out as one of Maidens best songs of all time IMO. After that it goes down a little. I don't like that little drum fill that follows chorus 2, and it also kind of pisses me off that the song doesn't have a proper solo. They should have extended the middle section, which in itself is very good, and filled it with a solo. That would have been so amazing to hear. The spoken outro is also a flaw for me. It feels so forced and random and doesn't really add anything to the song. It feels so anti-Maiden.
Despite these flaws, my grade for IESF is high, very high. The strongest parts of the song stands among the best Maiden has ever done, and with those adjustments I mentioned above, the song could have been the best Maiden song of all time for me. As it is now, the song gets 9/10, since there are some weaker parts that lowers the grade a litte
Welcome! :)
I also agree that the Necropolis end bit is offputting, however it is quite useful in so far as it buys then time to change instruments on stage before the next song (the tuning is different from the usual).

Fantastic song, portentous intro and outro, straight forward hook heavy verses and chorus, plus an interesting change of pace middle instrumental section without a guitar solo 10/10

Late to the party but today was the first time hearing The Ghost of Cain and yeah, it's quite obvious where the main riff for this song came from.

To me this is the quintessential reunion era Maiden song. Fantastic riffs, some great harmonies in the instrumental section, fantastic vocal performance and lyrics from Bruce. I love how this song manages to keep the momentum going the whole time. The short instrumental section is delightful and I don’t miss the lack of solos. This one is kind of the antithesis of Maiden in the sense that none of the parts drag out. I love the winding Harris epics but this is a rare example of tight songwriting in a Maiden track. It feels unusual yet an example of the Maiden formula perfected. Love that we get Necropolis in the outro even though it’s totally disconnected from the rest of the album. Also very quintessential Maiden. 10

Couldn't help but think of this song, looking at this meme :D

images

Awesome song though! :edmetal:

Back