If eternity should fail co-written by Roy Z?

I don't buy the "ripped off" part. They were presented with something (contact/money) .. they signed the deal. Maybe it was a bad deal, maybe it was an ill advised deal, but they read it (had lawyers read it) and agreed to it. I doubt Steve and Rod had guns to their heads.

As far as I know, all of them have actually sold their rights to Steve Harris (DiAnno and Bayley openly stated that).
In the case of Paul Day, they apparently didn't bother. ;) Still, I don't get why Janick Gers was not credited for "BYDTSS" since he was in the band when said song was released by Maiden (he wasn't when it appeared in the Freddie movie though).

As far as I know, all of them have actually sold their rights to Steve Harris (DiAnno and Bayley openly stated that).

I don't know if this has any importance on the matter, but Foro posted a video a while ago where Bruce said that Sony had bought the rights for Maiden's back catalogue, and that they where all rich. I remember that Adrian looked quite embarassed when Bruce said that.

Di'Anno sold his rights a long time ago, but in 2007 Blaze said that he still received some royalties...
Do you still receive royalties for the IRON MAIDEN stuff, especially with all these compilations and live albums being released all the time?
Just a little bit, not much now.
http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=917

They never sold their rights to Sony. However, in 1999, they took out a loan from a group of investors, with the flow of royalties from their releases as a security.
British heavy metal band Iron Maiden has launched its first hit on the bond market, selling securities worth $30m that are backed by the flow of royalties from recordings made during a 20 year career.
The band is effectively taking out a $30m loan and promises to pay back its creditors through future earnings - a financial tool called 'securitisation'.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/275760.stm

Some more information about this:
Mr Pullman, 37, says he got the idea for the bonds after 15 years on Wall Street where he had "securitised practically everything else, from mortgages to hospital income streams". He goes on: "The real killer is that the artists get money now and continue to own the copyright on their work."
The investor gets burnt if the royalties come in under expectations. But even if the bond collapses, the artist only loses ownership of the catalogue itself - the investor has no rights to pursue the artist's other assets. "Its a non-recourse mortgage - the bond is only secured on the catalogue itself," says Mr Taylor.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/focus-stars-mine-gold-from-rock-of-wages-1100346.html
Sounds like a decent deal to me. :p

Last edited:
I've always wondered if Steve bought Bruce and Adrian's songs back when they left the band? Or at least put out a bid for them.

Not a chance in hell. It would cost too much because most of hit singles were Dickinson/Smith.

Not a chance in hell. It would cost too much because most of hit singles were Dickinson/Smith.
And let's not forget that Bruce had a hand in the writing of "Run To The Hills" too (along with "The Prisoner" and "Children of the Damned") back when he was still legally unable to write for Maiden.

Back