Iced Earth

Generally I’d agree, but I really like Ripper’s performances on the Gettysburg Trilogy. One of his strongest moments in Iced Earth.

Reactions: Yax
True. However, Barlow is just so much better and more emotional at the end of the song. Ripper just can't match that.

I think Barlow sounded great on Declaration Day and Ten Thousand Strong though. Probably better than Ripper’s versions.

Eh, Barlow doesn't sound great. Ripper sounds better*.

*on this specific comparison, I believe Barlow would sound better on an album version and this is better than any live version with Ripper I heard.

Barlow is struggling in spots throughout, really, both in terms of pitch and quality.

Edit: Ripper never did nail the trilogy live, but he did a good job on the 2007 tour. I had to leave mid show during Hold at all Costs, but the bootleg recording of the trilogy the night before sounded good.

Last edited:
Barlow can’t sing all of the Ripper stuff just like Ripper couldn’t sing all of the Barlow stuff. Personally, I think Barlow sounds pretty terrible on all of Declaration Day versions I’ve heard because Ripper made that song (and others) his own.

I love Barlow but he has a much lower voice than Ripper, despite their high pitched falsettos, and sustained high tenor singing has never been his thing.

His paranoia aside, I think he's very sensible on not planning anything until coronavirus situation clears up.

His paranoia aside, I think he's very sensible on not planning anything until coronavirus situation clears up.
It's one thing being paranoid. It's another to be a full blown, crazy, conspiracy theorist. :p

I saw this earlier. Why does Jon feel the need to reissue the debut album again?

I agree that he's being sensible in not planning anything for Iced Earth for the time being, even if he considers the pandemic to be a hoax. It's nice that he's still communicating with fans by doing these Facebook Live things though. I do have a lot of respect for Jon for all the hard work he's put in over the years and how he's engaged with fans, even though his dumb political views make him somewhat toxic.

It's a remixed vinyl reissue, so at least it's somewhat of a new product.

Also, isn't he thinking that pandemic is an inside job, rather than a hoax?

Back