Iced Earth

"As a fan, do I want IRON MAIDEN to go back and mess around with 'The Number Of The Beast' or METALLICA to change 'Ride The Lightning' or SABBATH to change 'Black Sabbath'? No." But we're gonna do it anyway.

So either he absolutely does not care how the fans feel or he does not believe that he recorded any classic albums.

7 shows so far, 4 videos online from all shows combined. What the fuck. Are they taking them down or no one's recording anything?

Also fucking hate YouTube's search engine and all the fake live stream spam that prevents you from searching for proper live videos.

Perhaps it's the way the phone has recorded the sound, but it saps half of the drama out of that song :p

Did Jon forget about the "Days Of Purgatory" album and "Overture Of The Wicked"? :rolleyes:

It certainly warped his "Something Wicked" saga up :yey:

Learn from your mistakes Jon

Also found this recording:

Stu sounds terrible, like he can't hear the guitars at all. Horribly out of key.

Also these, more spoilery ones (I guess), where Stu sounds a little better:

Saw Iced Earth in Indianapolis last night.

The first opening act was a local stoner/doom metal band called Wolfstooth. They weren't bad at all, and although not very high energy, they seemed pretty pleased to be up on stage in front of a hundred people or so. Check them out on Bandcamp: https://wolftooth.bandcamp.com/releases

Next band was Kill Ritual. I don't know much about them. They were fine but not really my thing, very west coast thrash/glam almost. Still they weren't bad.

People started to show up for Sanctuary. This was fairly emotional given that it is Sanctuary's first gig since the death of Warrel Dane. The replacement singer was from White Wizzard, and very good for the task at hand. I was standing next to the two biggest Sanctuary fans in the audience and their energy was electric.

But the main event was Iced Earth, of course. I had hoped by coming to Indy we'd see something special since Jon Schaffer is a Hoosier, and they haven't played Indiana in quite some time. Unfortunately it was mostly the same set from the European tour, but that's a great set, so I wasn't at all upset by this.

Stu was pretty good but he blew out his natural upper range about halfway through the gig, so some stuff went flat then. His lower register remained powerful and there were moments on songs where he sounded positively Barlowesque. Jon was good, as always, but it was Luke Appleton and Jake Dreyer whom I was primarily impressed by. Jake's leads were very good on the older songs and Luke has a great stage presence. Overall well worth the $25 us.

Wow, I just rediscovered Attila and Hollow Man. For some reason these never clicked around the time I bought the album and later I hadn't given them a proper listen/chance.
Also I can bear most of the other non-Declaration Day and -Gettysburgh tracks better than before. Lyrical content aside, even When the Eagle Cries isn't that bad.

Last edited:
Lyrical content aside, even When the Eagle Cries isn't that bad.
ffliHhE.gif

But, Hollow Man is the worst Iced Earth song :p

Back