Iced Earth

Thanks for the detailed explanation ;)

Schaffer supports these guys? I don't see much of their beliefs in Iced Earth lyrics apart from "we are being watched, we must do something etc". Lyrics on the new album aren't very good, but aren't "extreme" enough for me to stop listening to it. You should still give it a chance :ok:

Night Prowler said:
Thanks for the detailed explanation ;)

Naturally my view is coloured because I oppose their ways. I bet Cornfed would give a different explanation.

Night Prowler said:
Schaffer supports these guys? I don't see much of their beliefs in Iced Earth lyrics apart from "we are being watched, we must do something etc". Lyrics on the new album aren't very good, but aren't "extreme" enough for me to stop listening to it. You should still give it a chance :ok:

You have a point there.

Is Stu Block the equal of Matt Barlow? Currently, no.

Is he the equal of Ripper? No, not yet.

But there's that addendum. YET. Stu's doing a different form of singing. And he sounds pretty damn good. Yeah, it seems like he's being prodded into being a Matt clone in some ways. But overall? He can hit Matt's notes in general, and his falsetto's not bad. Once he sorts out who he is, he can tie both previous singers.

Overall, I am impressed with what Stu is doing. If he can avoid being driven off by Schaffer's crazy, then he may become a great vocalist for a great band.

It helps that the quality of songs on 'Dystopia' is far greater than that of the three previous albums, or more consistent at least. Ripper's talents were wasted on the poor songs that Schaffer wrote on 'The Glorious Burden' and 'Framing Armageddon'.

One week today I'll be on my way to Birmingham to see Iced Earth. :yey:

Yesterday they played their first show with Stu. Setlist:
01. Dystopia
02. Burning Times
03. Angel's Holocaust
04. Slave To The Dark
05. V
06. Stand Alone
07. When The Night Falls
08. Damien
09. Dark City
10. Pure Evil
11. Anguish Of Youth
12. My Own Savior
13. Anthem
14. Declaration Day
15. Days Of Rage
16. Tragedy & Triumph
17. Dante's Inferno
-
18. Iced Earth

It's a great setlist, though since I never saw them live, I miss
Something Wicked Trilogy and Dracula.
I hope that one of these will appear at the show I'm going to see. They said that they will be rotating setlists, so combination of that and the fact that this will be their first concert here gives me hope.

First videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV5qv2UyBAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uweGrp_kw4A

I'd love to see
Travel In Stygian, Path I Choose and something from Ripper's era, perhaps Ten Thousand Strong
but it will be just fine if they keep playing this one.
I'm still looking for White Wizzard's set.

Night Prowler said:
01. Dystopia
02. Burning Times
03. Angel's Holocaust
04. Slave To The Dark
05. V
06. Stand Alone
07. When The Night Falls
08. Damien
09. Dark City
10. Pure Evil
11. Anguish Of Youth
12. My Own Savior
13. Anthem
14. Declaration Day
15. Days Of Rage
16. Tragedy & Triumph
17. Dante's Inferno
-
18. Iced Earth
They played the same setlist in Birmingham last night with a few changes:

'My Own Saviour', 'Burning Times', 'Pure Evil', 'Anguish of Youth' and 'Days of Rage' were all dropped making the setlist shorter.

It was, however, still a great show and well worth the 600 mile round trip! I really enjoyed myself and thought that Stu was really good as Jon's their frontman (although the wierd facial expressions have to stop).

Night Prowler said:
01. Dystopia
02. Burning Times
03. Angel's Holocaust
04. Slave To The Dark
05. V
06. Stand Alone
07. When The Night Falls
08. Damien
09. Dark City
10. Pure Evil
11. Anguish Of Youth
12. My Own Savior
13. Anthem
14. Declaration Day
15. Days Of Rage
16. Tragedy & Triumph
17. Dante's Inferno
-
18. Iced Earth

Track 8 is really an awesome pick! Schaffer sure knows which gems he should not forget. Actually this whole setlist is fantastic.

They dropped FIVE songs without replacing even just a few of them?
That's a huge difference.

Night Prowler said:
@Black Wizard: do you know why was the setlist shortened in all UK dates so far?
Iced Earth are next to unknown in the UK (the entire genre of Metal is shunned by the UK music industry in general) so they play smaller venues than they do in the rest of Europe. I didn't read my ticket properly so when the doors to the Academy 2 opened up I was a little surprised. The capacity of the main venue at the Birmingham Academy is 3,009 but the capacity of the Academy 2 is, err, 250...

*awkward pause*

So I guess that because they play in smaller tiny venues in the UK they get less time on stage. Still, massive respect has to go out to Iced Earth for agreeing to play in such small venues. The Academy 2 is no bigger than most pubs but they still had a great time as did the 250 (or close enough) people watching them. I hope Blind Guardian and their management take notice.

I wrote the following post before BW's post, so it's kinda irelevant :S
So far, only the London and Birmingham shows had shortened setlist. One guy wrote on London show's last.fm page: "They had a shorter set due to the curfew." They are in Bristol tonight, and that show is followed by the Paris show. So if they keep the short setlist in Paris, it's probably gonna be a permanent setlist :(

I don't think the curfew would have mattered last night because doors were scheduled to open at 6pm (they actually opened 15 minutes late) so the total showtime wouldn't have been any different.

Night Prowler said:
Setlist:
01. Dystopia
02. Burning Times
03. Angel's Holocaust
04. Slave To The Dark
05. V
06. Stand Alone
07. When The Night Falls
08. Damien
09. Dark City
10. Pure Evil