Iced Earth

Listening to it now. Never been a huge fan of Dante's Inferno. I like it more now than when I was first introduced to it (it was, in fact, the first Iced Earth song I ever heard), but I've never been a huge fan.

He does not sound like Matt at all. He sounds like a Matt clone. This is why Bruce wasn't replaced by a Bruce clone, and why the Sabs hired Dio instead of someone who sounds like Ozzy.
Okay. All of that aside, here's a serious thought: I am looking forward to Dystopia. Hopefully Schaffer has left his delusional ideas like the Something Wicked theme behind and is back to writing fucking music. I'm sorry, the last two albums were bad, on every single scale.

This album may be good, and it might suck. It depends. Was it written for Matt or Stu? Will Stu sing it like he's Matt, or will he just sing?

I wonder how a Canadian feels about wrapping himself in Schaffer's flag. I imagine it will grate after awhile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmaHmhstVZo&feature=related

I want to punch Schaffer in the face as hard as humanly possible when I see him in that getup.

Album was written after Matt decided to leave. People who heard the whole album say that he's copying Barlow and Ripper (when screaming) pretty much throughout the whole album. Fine by me, as long as the songs are good... Two songs I heard are awesome, so...

I really liked Something Wicked story (though recording 2,5 albums about it wasn't a good idea). Btw. new album features two songs that are kinda like spin-offs to SW saga.

Night Prowler said:
Btw. new album features two songs that are kinda like spin-offs to SW saga.
Let me guess... Set Abominae is... Obama?  :p

Or possibly Lincoln.

Night Prowler said:
I really liked Something Wicked story (though recording 2,5 albums about it wasn't a good idea). Btw. new album features two songs that are kinda like spin-offs to SW saga.
Jon mentioned this in the press release with information about the new album. :)

The music does sound cool in a few moments. But the singer? Mwah. He sounds like someone who imitates other people (including Barlow). The question is: what is his real voice? Maybe like in "End of Innocence"? Don't like that voice.

Track 4 sounds like a The Hunter rip-off.

By the way: very short album. Look at the amount of tracks and the track times.

45 minutes isn't really short. Plus, there will be 2 original bonus songs (Soylent Green and Iron Will), one alternate version (Anthem (String Mix) and one cover (The Mob Rules (Black Sabbath cover)).

I think it's quite short for metal albums these days.

Soylent Green? Probably a song about the film, just like Dark City.

Typical Jon Schaffer material with his negative view on society.

If you ask me, metal albums are usually too long these days (excluding TFF :D). 45 minutes is long enough IMO. And previous two IE albums are both about 45-50 minutes long if you exclude intros, interludes, outros and similar crap.

All songs on the album are based on dystopian literature/films, except for Dystopia and Tragedy & Triumph which are related to the Something Wicked saga.

Personally I think Metal albums shouldn't last for any longer than an hour unless there's a good reason for maximizing the time available on the CD, e.g. 'Nightfall in Middle Earth'.

1,5 minute long samples are available on iTunes, and after hearing them, I can say without doubt that this is the album of the year.

Very Ripper-esque screams.

I might just buy this.

have to admit though, after TGB (love that album) and Something Wicked, I had hoped for a back to basics album. The Gettysburg type of interludes have been done already.

Night Prowler said:
All songs on the album are based on dystopian literature/films, except for Dystopia and Tragedy & Triumph which are related to the Something Wicked saga.

I don't see a big difference between these two themes. The title track also kind of shows this.

Night Prowler said:
If you ask me, metal albums are usually too long these days (excluding TFF :D). 45 minutes is long enough IMO. And previous two IE albums are both about 45-50 minutes long if you exclude intros, interludes, outros and similar crap.

I wonder if it doesn't also mean Schaffer hasn't had much inspiration to come up with something bigger, for the last three albums.

I agree that I rather see a short and good album instead of a long one being less good (more weaker tracks).
However: once there was a time that he could deliver long and good.

A bit less paranoia would do him well.

Forostar said:
I don't see a big difference between these two themes. The title track also kind of shows this.

I wonder if it doesn't also mean Schaffer hasn't had much inspiration to come up with something bigger, for the last three albums.

I agree that I rather see a short and good album instead of a long one being less good (more weaker tracks).
However: once there was a time that he could deliver long and good.

A bit less paranoia would do him well.

I'm just happy he hasn't gone the Death Magnetic route and extended the songs themselves too much.  But Schaffer's standards dropped tremendously after Something Wicked, so I'm not exactly expecting a new Dark Saga.

On Horror Show he still came up with some strong and original tunes. E.g., Damien, Phantom of the Opera Ghost. Good stuff.  :shred:

Back