Iced Earth

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
To start this topic, news about the upcoming releases:

ICED EARTH: Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part I' Release Dates Announced - July 2, 2007 

SPV has set the following release dates for ICED EARTH's new studio album, "Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part I":

Germany: September 7
Rest of Europe: September 10
North America: September 11

c_fa_400.jpg

"Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part 1" expands the "Something Wicked" storyline first introduced in the trilogy of the same name appearing on the 1998 release, "Something Wicked This way Comes". "Framing Armageddon" will be followed in February/March 2008 by the band's ninth full-length studio release, tentatively titled "Revelation Abomination - Something Wicked Part 2" , continuing where "Framing Armageddon" leaves off.

"Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part 1" projected track listing:

01. Overture
02. Something Wicked (Part 1)
03. Invasion
04. Man's Motivation
05. The Setian Massacre
06. A Charge to Keep
07. Reflections
08. Ten Thousand Strong
09. Execution
10. Order of the Rose
11. The Clouding
12. Infiltrate and Assimilate
13. Retribution Through the Ages
14. Something Wicked (Part 2)
15. The Domino Decree
16. Framing Armageddon
17. When Stars Collide (Born is He)
18. The Awakening

"Revelation Abomination - Something Wicked Part 2" projected track listing:

01. The Sacred Flames
02. Behold the Wicked Child
03. Minions of the Watch
04. A Gift or a Curse
05. I Walk Among You
06. Harbinger of Fate
07. Ancient Rage of the High Priest
08. A Gathering Threat / Time Marches On
09. Sacrificial Kingdoms
10. Something Wicked (Part 3)
11. Divide Devour
12. Conspiracy / Pilgrimage In Guile
13. Come What May

ICED EARTH will support HEAVEN AND HELL on their U.K. tour in November.

From the number of songs on each album, I get the feeling that it's going to descend into Gods of War territory...namely, a ridiculous number of pointless 'interludes' and spoken bits.  Still, we'll see...perhaps Schaffer can actually impress me this time, and perhaps Owens won't irritate me.

Raven said:
Owens won't irritate me.
Did I tell you they played "Pure Evil" at Sweden Rock? It really suits Ripper's voice, as you thought it would.

Forgive me for interrupting and not knowing anything about Iced Earth, but are you talking about Ripper Owens? Ex-Judas Priest?

Powergirl81 said:
Forgive me for interrupting and not knowing anything about Iced Earth, but are you talking about Ripper Owens? Ex-Judas Priest?

Yep. He joined them right after getting sacked from Priest.

OK...thanx  :ok:

I remember seeing a special like...I don't know...8 or 9 years ago on either MTV or VH1 about Ripper Owens joining Priest...anyone know what I'm talking about? He said it was a dream come true for him cuz Priest was his fave band or something...

Ripper was singing in a Judas Priest tribute band at that time. Somebody gave the band a video tape in the mid-nineties, and the chaps decided to ring him up.

Yax said:
Did I tell you they played "Pure Evil" at Sweden Rock? It really suits Ripper's voice, as you thought it would.

Well, it was pointed out to me by other people.  But any song with more high-end vocals will suit Ripper's voice, as he can hit the high notes.  He just can't pull off the emotional stuff very well, IMO, which is where this album is going to fall down, I think, since the story is very much based on the kind of concrete, emotional vocals that Barlow used on the original 'Something Wicked' trilogy.  As I said, though, I'll remain open about the album.  I'm not going to buy it, but I'll give it a listen and see what I think.

...and then you'll buy it, wanna bet? :p

Here Iced Earth's setlist, 6 days ago in Greece:

Burning Times
Declaration Day
Violate
Vengeance Is Mine
Pure Evil
The Reckoning
The Hunter
Ten Thousand Strong
Jack
My Own Savior
Stormrider
Prophecy
Birth Of The Wicked
The Coming Curse

icedearth1.jpg

icedearth2.jpg

icedearth3.jpg

icedearth5.jpg

Perhaps, witnessing an IE-show would be so impressive that the setlist is of minor importance, like with Iron Maiden? At least I truly hope that setlists on internet do not scare away people from seeing a band. To feel the rush from a live gig really gives so much more than a setlist only. Just my 2 cents of course.

Still it's cool to talk about setlists.

What would be yours (trying to match the same time-length of course)?

I'd go for:

Angels Holocaust
Stormrider
The Path I Choose
Declaration Day
Violate
Vengeance Is Mine
Pure Evil
The Hunter
Ten Thousand Strong
Travel in Stygian
Dante's Inferno
Iced Earth

I'd love to see Iced Earth no matter what. I just haven't had the chance so far, and I doubt I'll be able to afford Wacken this year. This setlist certainly wouldn't scare me away, Iced Earth remains Iced Earth.

A cool setlist would probably be:

Declaration Day
Angels Holocaust
Stormrider
Burnt Offerings
Disciples Of The Lie
I Died For You
Last December
Watching Over Me
Scarred
Slave To The Dark
A Question Of Heaven
Dracula
Iced Earth

You see, one of the reasons why I love Iced Earth is because they put out a live album that covers nearly their entire back catalogue, so we can evaluate how most songs work live.

"Last December" rules, just like some more track of Burnt Offerings. Unfortunately Schaffer does not agree with us. I've only seen negative talk by him about that era. The only live song I've ever seen was "Brainwashed" with its excellent guitar riffs, at the Horror Show tour.

Forostar said:
"Last December" rules, just like some more track of Burnt Offerings. Unfortunately Schaffer does not agree with us. I've only seen negative talk by him about that era. The only live song I've ever seen was "Brainwashed" with its excellent guitar riffs, at the Horror Show tour.

you lucky.... did they play Transylvania then ???

Yep! I saw them twice that tour, which was the last tour with Matt Barlow on vocals. It was a huge set, divided in three (with different decors) eras.

18-01-2002
First gig, Antwerp: I'll never forget the moment when Jon Schaffer looked straight ahead in my face, while doing his speech in "Damien". At the end of the gig I catched a Richard Christy drumstick, damaging my glasses in the effort since my arms were not the only ones that moved. :)

19-01-2002
One day later in Tilburg (excellent venue by the way) I stood further in the mid, having a good overview (yep the glasses were repared! ;) ) and great sound! That was the gig when Schaffer made the comment on the Maiden shirts, before starting "Transylvania". ;)

Setlist:

Iced Earth
Pure Evil
Brainwashed
Angels Holocaust
Stormrider
The Path I Choose
Curse The Sky
Travel In Stygian
---------------
Burning Times
Vengeance Is Mine
Stand Alone
The Hunter
Watching Over Me
Scarred
Slave To The Dark
A Question Of Heaven
I Died For You
Prophecy
Birth Of the Wicked
The Coming Curse
--------------
Wolf
Damien
Jekyll & Hide
Transylvania
Jack
Frankenstein
Dracula
--------------
My Own Savior

Apart from these two gigs I've only seen Iced Earth with their disappointing 2004 Graspop gig (backproblems Schaffer).

Setlist:

Declaration Day
Burning times
Vengeance is Mine
Violate
Melancholy
Dracula
My own savior
Something wicked trilogy
-------------
Gettysburg 1863
Iced Earth

I'm very eager to see a new Iced Earth show again!! :)

Forostar said:
Iced Earth
Pure Evil
Brainwashed
Angels Holocaust
Stormrider
The Path I Choose
Curse The Sky
Travel In Stygian
---------------
Burning Times
Vengeance Is Mine
Stand Alone
The Hunter
Watching Over Me
Scarred
Slave To The Dark
A Question Of Heaven
I Died For You
Prophecy
Birth Of the Wicked
The Coming Curse
--------------
Wolf
Damien
Jekyll & Hide
Transylvania
Jack
Frankenstein
Dracula
--------------
My Own Savior

Bloody hell! You f*cking lucky bastard, that has to be the best setlist ever to be played on this planet!

EDIT: The more I look at it, the crazier I get about it. Fuck, it's got the whole Suffering trilogy!

I realize that! Those two gigs belong to the coolest gigs I've ever seen!  :)

I know what IE is capable of, especially live, and that's why I am really positive about this band.

The only complaint on that huge setlist, is that my favourite epic "Dante's Inferno" wasn't in it. :)
But this is comparable with my love for ROTAM, hopefully it will return someday. ;)

edit: Perun, yes, even Scarred was played, and notable because Christy played both the drums & keyboards at the same time, during the calm mid-part!

Also "Curse The Sky" was played for the first time in many years, or maybe even the first time ever. I forgot Schaffer's introduction to that one.

New Iced Earth Album

I don't know if this really belongs on these polls, but I think it'll be good news for most people here. An advance copy of the new Iced Earth album, Framing Armageddon, is available online. If it's fine with the mods, I'll post the url in my next post. To be able to play the album, you need a program that converts torrent files.

Also, I'm glad to say that this album is, in my opinion, their best album since the Something Wicked This Way Comes, thought it's probably too early to say for sure. The story is amazing, the music is rich and atmospheric, but still aggressive, and Owens gives Barlow-quality vocals. I'll avoid saying too much for now, since I only got the album yesterday, but I can safely say that it's undeniably better than The Glorious Burden.

Re: New Iced Earth Album

Heya Helphyre,

Maidenfans.com will under no circumstances tollerate the sharing of official and/or copyrighted material on our forums. This includes but is not limited to the posting of MP3's, torrents or links to places where copyrighted material can be downloaded. We also ask members not to discuss WHERE they downloaded material such as this from. We don't want to risk any action from Sanctuary, Iron Maiden, EMI or anyone else for that matter so our moderators will always take a harsh line on this.

Please don't post torrent links here unless it's an officially released version that the band/management wants people to download.

I *liked* The Glorious Burden.

Back