Iced Earth

national acrobat said:
I saw Iced Earth support Heaven and Hell a few weeks back, and was very much impressed by them. It was also my first exposure to Ripper Owens, and I thought that he was really quite good, and the pacing didn't bother me that much. ;) He got the crowd going well, but you're right, not a patch on Bruce.

he has a great voice and can express himself very nice with it

he did a cover for Ozzy's Mr Crowley -that wowed me, terrible performance
his cover for flight of Icarus wasn't such a highlight though .....

very lucky man J.Schaffer to have him a frontman, his experience with Priest graowed hime up,
so even if he was then a bit small for Priest -one can say-
just look what an ENORMOUS performance he did in Gettysbourg trilogy  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I don't have anything new except 10.000 strong yet though

Barlow is back!

From Blabbermouth.

ICED EARTH mainman/guitarist Jon Schaffer has issued the following statement:

"Hello, dear friends!

"Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

"While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal ICED EARTH fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in ICED EARTH's history.

"When I heard several months ago that Matt [Barlow] was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn't act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn't seem realistic.

"Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to ICED EARTH and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

"Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the 'Something Wicked' concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of ICED EARTH shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

"I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt's presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

"You true fans know that I'm a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for ICED EARTH. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

"Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

"There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn't be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt's family in early 2008!

"I am very happy to announce that ICED EARTH is truly BACK!"

Talk about a turnaround, I have an interview around the time of when The Glorious Burden came out, and Schaffer could do nothing but badmouth Barlow, saying he was a shit singer and whatnot.

Hunlord said:
Talk about a turnaround, I have an interview around the time of when The Glorious Burden came out, and Schaffer could do nothing but badmouth Barlow, saying he was a shit singer and whatnot.

Can you transcribe it, because this is the first I hear of such a thing, I have an interview around the time of the Glorious Burden saying the opposite...

Its on a wall in my parent's holiday home about a hundred and fifty kilometres away, next time I'm down I'll bring it back up.

On the one hand,  I am very very happy about this.  Now I may get the chance to witness Dante's Inferno live!  On the other hand,  I really don't like the way Schaffer talks about this.  He only mentions Owens once saying something that's too cliche.  I mean,  doesn't he give a damn?  I just hope Owens doesn't go out substituting someone else,  but goes on with his own band (they could write some more interesting stuff though).

Being my second favourite band this is GREAT news!
He will still do the vocals for Pyramaze´s new album which is also very good news, was really looking forward to that!

I wonder what will happen to Owens now? It´s extremely nice to have Barlow back but I really thought Owens did a great job and I will probably miss him from time to time. I wonder which singer he will replace the next time?
Bruce Dickinson? :p

It really is a shame for Owens, though.  He's always been standing in someone else's shoes, and now this.  I was already thinking that he was a dedicated member of Iced Earth, but I guess you can only consider Schaffer a real part of IE.

Hunlord said:

Recently Jon also ruled out a DVD in the near future. Now that's totally different. Jon played some game, I'm afraid.

Summarized:

For me this is unexpected news. However, I do like it! I only feel a bit bad for the band Pyramaze (talented band from Denmark) for which Matt would be the new singer (I even thought they were recording a new album at the moment). Also not the nicest experience for Tim Owens.

Anyhow, 2008 will sure be an interesting year!

This is the "Path that Jon Schaffer chooses"!

edit:
@Mmxz: I'm glad to hear the Pyramaze album will come out with Barlow's vocals, thanks! I'm curious how IE will top that record!

If Owens is clever, he has already contacted his bandmates of Beyond Fear and started writing new material. If he releases a good record, and I mean a good one, before Iced Earth put out "Something Wicked 2", then he might have the chance of finally stepping out of the shadow and be someone by himself. If he doesn't manage to do that, then he'll probably just be the weirdest footnote in Heavy Metal history.

Perun said:
If Owens is clever, he has already contacted his bandmates of Beyond Fear and started writing new material.

They started doing that months ago.

Right now I just wait for a proper farewell to Owens by Jon!
Owens have done alot to the band and if he wouldn´t have joined in the first place, I don´t think Iced Earth would be as big as they are right now.

I´m really happy that Barlow rejoined but at the same time I got pretty pissed off when I read this: "Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level."

Jon, even though I respect him very much for his music etc ( one of my favourite guitarists), he can be a real
A-hole   :mad:

My guess is that the best "farewell" Ripper could get is a complete re-recording of Framing Armageddon with Matt...

Perun said:
My guess is that the best "farewell" Ripper could get is a complete re-recording of Framing Armageddon with Matt...
Lol,  that would've been tragic.  Here's an idea:  why doesn't Ripper join Pyramaze??  :D  :halo:

Jon Schaeffer isn't just Iced Earth's leader and guitarist.  He's also their Führer.

Hmm, he was SO positive when Ripper joined. Look what he says now:

ICED EARTH Mainman: I Would Rather End It Than Carry On Without MATT BARLOW

ICED EARTH mainman/guitarist Jon Schaffer has released the following statement regarding the departure of singer Tim "Ripper" Owens and the return of Matt Barlow:

"It will be sometime before I'm going to be doing press due to the holidays and the fact that I'm still deep in the final writing process of ['Something Wicked' album] Part 2. I'm aware that the news of Matt coming back into to the band has taken many people by surprise so I'll try to explain the situation a little better.

"I do love Tim's voice and it is the kind of voice I hear when I write, and he's a really cool person. And I do not want an unnecessary war of words started because certain journalists like to create controversy to sell their magazines. I love Tim as a person, a friend and a musician, and I do not have negative feelings towards him at all. We would all appreciate it if the trash pedlars would respect the situation and keep their venomous speculations to themselves. An unlikely request I'm sure, but it would be nice. On the other side, Matt and I are brothers and there was a very deep and spiritual connection that came through in the music that we created and performed together over the years.

"ICED EARTH has always been about passion and honesty in the music — I'm talking about real, raw emotion. That's what has always made the relationship between the band and the fans a very special thing and it is the thing that made the chemistry that Matt and I had together so special.

"When we split before, our relationship had suffered from various things, but mostly it came down to not communicating like we should have, which led to things being blown out of proportion. All of that is behind us and we have grown and matured and will have an even more fulfilling relationship because of what we've experienced and learned from the past.

"ICED EARTH activities will be more limited now because Matt will still be carrying on his career as a law enforcement officer. I would rather we do it this way and have the shows that happen be very special events than to carry on and feel like what's happening isn't genuine. This is NOT a cut on Tim. It's just that ICED EARTH really began to blossom after Matt joined the band and for years we worked our asses off together, on stage and off. Those years of work and commitment defined what ICED EARTH truly is, and frankly I would rather end it than to carry on without Matt involved. All of this has been coming to a head for a while, and the talks with the fans in Europe helped cement what I already knew needed to happen.

"I wish only the best for Tim, this is not a standard bullshit statement, it's the truth. A guy with so much talent and personality only deserves the best in life and that's what I wish for him completely."

Back