I hate you, Hollywood!

Although I am only 15 years old... How long have I waited for an anti-proamerican-change-history-in favour of americans-discussion! And where do I get it? At the place where I am to discuss the greatest thing on earth, Maiden. This has really given me the opportunity to rant about Hollywood!

Loose cannon you are totally right! (BTW thanks for the link, it was an interesting article).

Hollywood has found a strange interest in the second world war when for America the world war was: D-Day, Capturing Berlin before the Russians and the great battle against Japan after the capturing of Berlin!

As said before, the americans had nearly nothing at all to do with the Battle of Britain nor anything to do with the pre-1944war. This is all nonsense, wich Hollywood is trying to fire into the lesser cultivated minds of people with these 'cool' movies with 'cool' effects and 'cool' stories.

Now you shall not believe that I am the one who is not able to watch a pro-american movie.
I am infact the one who enjoys a movie with good music, good effects, good story (not from a historical point of view) good acting. But when it comes to the fact that Hollywood is making this propaganda for America I watch the movie and then I begin debating the fact that the story was bullshit. After every movie I see, and believe there has been many, I get annoyed and angry.

Why to change the fact of history? Couldn't they make the same movie but with the true heroes?
The answer is, as we have all seen, no.
The true fact that Hollywood is making all this crap about american heroism in Britain, Scandinavia, Japan, China (In fact all of Asia), Africa, Australia, under the face of the water, above earth in space etc. is just because of money. Hollywood would loose all their pro-america money tribute payers if they would make a movie about an english hero in the great Battle of Britain.
This only shows how low Hollywood really is, and how good they are at covering all their dirty shitcovered faces with gold dust.
Just some thoughts
//Stefan

PS: Sorry if my English is bad, I'm from Sweden, so english isn't my primary language.

[!--QuoteBegin-The Tiger+Apr 24 2004, 02:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Tiger @ Apr 24 2004, 02:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The true fact that Hollywood is making all this crap about american heroism in Britain, Scandinavia, Japan, China (In fact all of Asia), Africa, Australia, under the face of the water, above earth in space etc. is just because of money. [/quote]
I couldn't agree more! Loosecannon and I were discussing this sometime ago. Why do people hate the U.S? Because they do whatever they want disregarding the International Community: They don't care what the UN says because they control most of it, they hold something like 40% of the IMF (International Monetary Fund) and since the Spanish-American War and later WWII they still hold a few territories and bases all over the world, "policing" it. My friends the only state that does this is an Empire. They are an Empire and definately act like one, and the norm is that people under the rule of an empire (physically or economically) usually hate the ruler. At the same time the one in power makes sure it subdues its people with dilusions of grandeur (sp?) rewriting history and giving them football, baseball etc. Yes, movies and sports are great ways to manipulate people. Therefore, Hollywood does this gladly knowing it will give it great revanue.

Hollywood filmmakers sometimes deliberately include patriotic or pro-America messages in their movies if they want the help of the US Army or government in making the film. An example is Armageddon ([a href=\'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/trivia\' target=\'_blank\']source[/a]):

"Because of the patriotic nature of the script, and the success of using Top Gun (1986) as recruitment material, persuaded NASA to allow Bay and Co. to shoot in the normally restricted space agency. This included the neutral buoyancy lab, a 65 million gallon, 40 ft deep pool used to train astronauts for weightlessness and the use of two ten million dollar space suits. The crew was also allowed to shoot in the historic launch pad that went out of service after the Apollo 1 disaster, and parts of the movie were filmed at Edwards Air in California. This was the first movie that the cast was allowed to use genuine NASA spacesuits. The cast are the only civilians to ever wear NASA spacesuits, which cost over 3 million dollars each."

I have also heard (but have not been able to confirm) that other movies have "Americanized" their scripts to get Army help, in particular Independence Day.

I'm not saying that these films aren't propaganda; I'm just saying there may be other concerns at work as well.

A relevant curiosity from that same source about Armageddon:

"According to the Criterion Collection commentary, many of the errors found in the film were acknowledged by the directory and known even during filming/production and were left in deliberately (such as fire in space) because he said, 'it's a movie and not many people know about it' these things were kept in for entertainment value."

So yes, Hollywood does think we're idiots. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

That's only the tip of the Iceburg SMX. Earlier this semester I saw the German movie "Das Experiment" at the university. The profesor showing the movie told us that the movie was based on the Stanford Prison Experiment of the early 70's. [a href=\'http://www.prisonexp.org\' target=\'_blank\']prison experiment[/a] I visited the website after watching the movie and sure enough the movie closely parallels the experiment. Two days ago I rented the DVD from BlockBuster to write a report for my German class and at the beginning of the movie I found the following disclaimer:

"The following events are fictional and any similarity to actual characters or events are purely coincidental."

WTF????!!!!!! I've seen movies that are "based on true events" and the only true thing about it is the main characters name and the rest is flat out fiction. This movie is based 98% on true events and I find this disclaimer rejecting the whole thing! I don't know in the rest of the world but I bet it is a U.S policy, claiming they were never capable of such inhumane experiments. THAT is erasing history.

I haven't seen the film you're talking about, but I'm very familiar with the prision experiment because I had to write a short paper on it for a sociology class about a year and a half ago. I think the disclaimer in the film is just cover-your-ass legal boilerplate in case one of the people involved in the experiment had decided to sue.

While the US government or movie industry may want to rewrite history, I don't think there's an actual policy stating that aim. Besides, how would it matter if the film is from Germany?

The prison experiment was not inhumane; what happened in the experiment was completely unforeseen, and they called it off ahead of schedule when things got out of hand. Sure, you could argue that they should have called it off sooner, but these researchers were in uncharted territory and it's unfair to second-guess their decisions with what we now know.

Yes, calling them inhumane was a little harsh, i let my emotions get the best of me. But that it is a German movie is actually irrelevant. It could have been a Japanese movie for all I care, but the fact that it depicts TRUE events with stunning accuracy yet has a disclaimer DENYING such events is flat out shady. Because the similarity is NOT coincidental but PURPOSEFUL Anywho I'll let it fly.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]WTF????!!!!!! I've seen movies that are "based on true events" and the only true thing about it is the main characters name and the rest is flat out fiction. This movie is based 98% on true events and I find this disclaimer rejecting the whole thing! I don't know in the rest of the world but I bet it is a U.S policy, claiming they were never capable of such inhumane experiments. THAT is erasing history.[/quote]

It's not a US policy. I saw the film in cinema, and I well remember the fuss about it in the German media before it came out. Everybody was pointing out that the film was, at best, inspired by the real event.

I have to ask. In which half of Germany was the movie made (if it's that old) because a lot of things do depend on politics, guys. It's sad, but true.

The film came out a couple of years ago (around 2000 I think), so wayy after reunification.

Some of us will be pleased: [a href=\'http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040617/02\' target=\'_blank\']Science goes to the movies[/a] [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Speaking of Science in movies I recently (three weeks) saw The Day After Tomorrow. For those who haven't seen it or have no clue, It is about the next Ice Age of our planet happening much sooner than expected. It was a good movie I must say. I found it very amusing watching all the Gringos crossing illigally into Mexico and it was even funnier when NOBODY else in the theater found it as funny as I did.
It seemed to be a remake of The Day After, a movie from the '80's that exposed the potential dangers of nuclear warefare, a gritty (yet crappy, crappy) potrayal of "what if". In that vein "The Day After Tomorrow Potrays the What If of our mistakes... premature Ice Age. Something I found amusing was the Dick Chenney Look-a-like vice president (Dick Chenney used to work and has many friends in Oil Companies) Saying he was wrong believing in the whole Bigger is better, waste natural resources, buy SUV's life style. But Cool movie nonetheless.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's similar to the way Maiden handles history. While we admire Maiden for getting a lot of their history right, we also hear the occasional "In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth...". [/quote]

To me, it's just a metaphor that says it was a long long long time ago and there a no documents or writings that exist of that period. After all it's «only» music and not everything are to be taken as they are.

Well, it happened at least twice in Quest For Fire and Alexander The Great.

I disagree with the Alexander the Great one. It's easily explained. Steve simply looked at a modern-day map.

Back