• Medium Well

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Well Done

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Overcooked

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
valacirca said:
I have no idea why most restaurants usually cook the meat one level more rarer than you order it...
If the meat is under cooked to the eaters taste, then it can be sent back and cooked more. If it is overcooked, the restaurant will have to restart with a new steak. The cheaper option is to under cook it slightly - and only one or two may actually complain.

Wasted CLV said:
Learned a really good way to do it: (1) Fire up the grill on its lowest and slap the meat on.  (2) Let it sit for 6-7 minutes and flip.  (3) Flip again after another 6-7 minutes.  (4)  Keep the heat down to as close to 200 degrees (F) as possible (turning off burners as necessary).  (5) Flip every few minutes until the center is between 140 and 150 (this is an estimate for me, basing on tenderness of the meat.  (6) Drink a few beers while grilling, then eat!
Apparently, there is a rule of thumb when cooking meat, the harder the muscle works, the slower (and with less heat) it should be cooked. If the muscle does not really work, it should be cooked on high heat. A rump steak, for example, will work well with that method, but a loin maybe not so.

Greetings,

Nice poll!!!

But if we all are steak lovers. What do we drink during the meal? If it is wine please be specific. (I am an off license shop manager)

Albie said:
If the meat is under cooked to the eaters taste, then it can be sent back and cooked more. If it is overcooked, the restaurant will have to restart with a new steak. The cheaper option is to under cook it slightly - and only one or two may actually complain.

Hm. Quite logical. Thanks for that tidbit.

Albie said:

He he, you said it.
@valacirca: In Restaurants one can find the skimpiest people of the world -especially those who run the place.

Rare for me.

Wasted CLV said:
At least not through eating food.  :innocent:

I just grilled out steak for the first time this summer a few weeks back.  Learned a really good way to do it: (1) Fire up the grill on its lowest and slap the meat on.  (2) Let it sit for 6-7 minutes and flip.  (3) Flip again after another 6-7 minutes.  (4)  Keep the heat down to as close to 200 degrees (F) as possible (turning off burners as necessary).  (5) Flip every few minutes until the center is between 140 and 150 (this is an estimate for me, basing on tenderness of the meat.  (6) Drink a few beers while grilling, then eat!

The best part of cooking!

Now I want steak.

Now I'm curious as to how people like their steak:  grilled plain, a 'rub', a marinade?  I've used some steak rubs that I really like, but now and then, a marinade is good.  Mostly, I like this steak rub by "cookie's", kinda spicy.

I prefer it plain, but the stuff that comes along with it is important. A side serving I'm really fond of is mushroom sauce/stew. Add baked potato with sour cream, and maybe fry some onion rings with the steak ... mmm, I'm getting hungry here.

I think if you guys know some recipes it would be great to start posting them (or on a separated culinary thread), specially recipes with ingredients traditional in your regions.

Onhell said:
Well done or more. I'm from a third world country... we don't intentionally put ourselves in danger of contracting serious diseases.

Bacteria can only live on the surfaces of the meat.  As long as the surfaces of the steak are cooked, the bacteria is killed and the steak is safe to eat.

The reason ground beef is considered more risky is because of its ground nature there is a lot more surface area for bacteria to exist on, and so it has to be cooked more thoroughly.

Back