Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Well Done

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Overcooked

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

valacirca

Trooper
Honestly, I just wanted to create a thread with a poll since I'm working out some kinks... but since we're on the topic:

Most of my friends, including my wife, like their steak well-done.

I've always wanted to try one of the rarer variants.

What's your type?

Medium rare. Most waiters in Germany don't know what that means, so you have to explain, "somewhere between medium and English".

Or, let's say, "black on the outside, red on the inside".  :innocent:

Many years ago, I used to work in a restaurant that used to take some unusual requests for steaks.

"Rip the horns off and slap it on a plate."

"Cremated." - Oh, so you want a pile of ash to eat?

"Medium rare - but I don't want to see any blood."

Personally, on the odd occasion I eat steak, it has to be medium rare - and a fillet steak as well. No sirloin or rump for me.

Well done or more. I'm from a third world country... we don't intentionally put ourselves in danger of contracting serious diseases.

At least not through eating food.  :innocent:

I just grilled out steak for the first time this summer a few weeks back.  Learned a really good way to do it: (1) Fire up the grill on its lowest and slap the meat on.  (2) Let it sit for 6-7 minutes and flip.  (3) Flip again after another 6-7 minutes.  (4)  Keep the heat down to as close to 200 degrees (F) as possible (turning off burners as necessary).  (5) Flip every few minutes until the center is between 140 and 150 (this is an estimate for me, basing on tenderness of the meat.  (6) Drink a few beers while grilling, then eat!

I like a little purple in the middle, however it depends on the steak.  The better the piece of meat, the less it should be cooked.

I like my steak... free!!!  Nah, really I like it medium well, with a nice dill pickle slice for each bite... blame that on my grandfather.

Up The Steaks!!!

Wasted CLV said:
I just grilled out steak for the first time this summer a few weeks back.  Learned a really good way to do it: (1) Fire up the grill on its lowest and slap the meat on.  (2) Let it sit for 6-7 minutes and flip.  (3) Flip again after another 6-7 minutes.  (4)  Keep the heat down to as close to 200 degrees (F) as possible (turning off burners as necessary).  (5) Flip every few minutes until the center is between 140 and 150 (this is an estimate for me, basing on tenderness of the meat.  (6) Drink a few beers while grilling, then eat!

That's the fun way to do it with guests over at the house.  For the best flavor, here's a tip:  Heat up a skillet to the highest possible (safe) heat.  Add a small slap of butter.  The butter will melt quickly, and when it does, put in the raw steak to sear the meat for about 30 seconds per side.  THEN move the meat to the grill and follow your method.  Searing seals in the juices.   

Oh-ho!  That sounds really good!  I've never tried searing a steak, but I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the tip!

Medium Rare: Porterhouse steak, bought from quality butcher not supermarket, at least an inch thick. Thrown into very hot pan and cooked on one side on full heat for 3 minutes, turn heat down to min and turn steak to other side and cook for further 3-4 minutes. Take the steak off the heat and allow sit 2 minutes before serving.

SinisterMinisterX said:
If I'm cooking it myself, medium rare.

If it's at a restaurant, medium.
Yeah, this... but for medium. So I order it medium-well when in a restaurant.

I have no idea why most restaurants usually cook the meat one level more rarer than you order it...

Back