Hooks In You

How good is Hooks in You on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

If people have guilty pleasures, this is mine (I feel I probably have several). I love this song. The chorus gets stuck in my head for days, and the guitar section before the chorus is fantastic. Strong contender for my favourite song on the album.

Why? Because of all the Hooks.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 8.25

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6 - The Prophecy
8 - The Clairvoyant
8 - Only The Good Die Young

No Prayer For The Dying

6 - Tailgunner
6 - Holy Smoke
8 - No Prayer For The Dying
7 - Public Enema Number One
7 - Fates Warning
7 - The Assassin
6 - Run Silent Run Deep
8 - Hooks In You

As bad Maiden songs go, this is an OK bad song, but even 4:08 is too long for this song.
4/10

I like it. But its silly.

It isnt Smiths best riff.

I like Bruces rasp. I can still think of so many worse songs than this one. Most of the next three albums for example.

7... on the grounds that the chorus is catchy and the instrumental bit's pretty good. I might be being a bit generous. But it is sharing a side of vinyl with The Assassin and Bring Your Daughter, so that will help it sound good purely by comparison!

1/10

Hooks in You is the only writing credit from Adrian Smith on the album and the main riff is unmistakably an H creation. Unfortunately, the song is horrendous. Easily the worst song they’ve written since Killers. The lyrics (inspired by a visit to a gay couple’s S&M room) are vaguely associated with the Charlotte storyline by referencing 22 Acacia Avenue. Literally the only good thing about this song is the joint guitar solo. Bruce’s final vocal sounds like a parody of Brian Johnson.

Its a descent song and Janick does a great job but it would've been a lot better if Adrian played on it because it was originally co-written by him. They should play it live with the current line-up with Adrian doing all the leads, or have Adrian and Janick do the solo together like they do in The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do live.

Its a descent song and Janick does a great job but it would've been a lot better if Adrian played on it because it was originally co-written by him. They should play it live with the current line-up with Adrian doing all the leads, or have Adrian and Janick do the solo together like they do in The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do live.

Now that's a great idea!

Really great idea. Only difference is that Jan should keep his orignal solo, which is wonderful and then Dave and H should double Dave's solo. That would be amazing!

The hate for this song is so exaggerated. I put this one in the same league as Holy Smoke. It's fine for what it is, though not really what you want to hear from Maiden. Don't care about what the lyrics are about, if the music works for me I'm fine with it.

In my humble opinion, this song is criminally underrated. I do consider it part of the "Charlotte" story (thus making it a quadrilogy, rather than a trilogy), and a good one for that matter. It shows us the kind of shit Charlotte's up to, and how all that adds up to her running away with the Beast in "From Here To Eternity". Leads me to think she isn't exactly human, but an incarnation of lust itself. Good stuff! The main riff is excellent, and it's one of my favorite Maiden intros. I'll give it a solid 8.

I kinda like the chorus and with some changes it might have been quite a nice little rocker, but now it just doesn't work that well. Same with the lyrics.

4/10
Not the absolute worst they've done but if you told me this is their worst song for you I'd understand. Fun, silly songs are already there with The Assassin and Holy Smoke and I think those do it better. I like Bruce's raspy voice for the most part, but the one he makes in the chorus is not even cute.

Adrian's final pre-reunion riff gets the cowbell treatment and leads off a peppy rocker with a musically appealing verse and a catchy chorus. Bruce's growly vocals are a bit over the top on the verse, and the lyrics are aggressively dumb, but the song still kind of works.

Another round of verse and chorus gives way to a nice melodic bridge, followed by a good solo and an OK harmonized section before returning to the verse through some growly screams. Another chorus and a bridge reprise before finishing up on an unnecessarily growly vocal.

There's a lot to like here, but Bruce's absurdly coarse vocals and the insipid lyrics bring it crashing back down. 6/10.

Back