Hooks In You

How good is Hooks in You on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Hooks in You

I don't care if the lyrics are shallow. Maiden have done enough that isn't shallow to make a diversion welcome. The music is fantastic and once again the vocal performance is committed. 9 out of 10.

Forostar said:
What is "a worst Maiden song" when it is also your favourite Maiden song?

Oops, I should have noted that I dedicated that post to thousand_suns.  ;)

That was a joke, of course.

I give this song 1/10.

Wyrdskein said:
I don't care if the lyrics are shallow. Maiden have done enough that isn't shallow to make a diversion welcome. The music is fantastic and once again the vocal performance is committed. 9 out of 10.

If commitment is downing half a bottle of whisky the day before recording, maybe. Bruce sounds awful on this song. No wonder it has seen no live action since the No Prayer tour.

It's a matter of taste. Some people tolerate (or call it: enjoy) certain Maiden songs more than others.
And if people think the vocals fit to the music (just as some people think Blaze might fit to certain Maiden songs) it's going to help a lot.

Forostar said:
It's a matter of taste. Some people tolerate (or call it: enjoy) certain Maiden songs more than others.
And if people think the vocals fit to the music (just as some people think Blaze might fit to certain Maiden songs) it's going to help a lot.

But of course. I'm just stating my opinion, and that opinion is that Bruce sounds horrible on this song and that it brings an otherwise quite ordinary song down to the bottom shelf of Maiden songs. (I'd give a 7 for the music, but -1 for the lyrics and -1 for the vocals). You, Wyrdskein and others are perfectly free to disagree with me.

I agree with Wyrdskein that sometimes diversion of style is welcome to keep a band interesting, also for themselves. I think this album can be seen as a fresh new start to reload the batteries. Sometimes a change of style is needed to get it started.

Just an explanation of my own opinion, and the previous post was only meant as an attempt to describe the different way people handle these "different" Maiden/vocal styles, not an attack on yours.

Taste helps of course. I feel lucky that I can stand Bruce doing rough vocals in this context.

I can't find much to like in this song, the quirky lyrics aren't to my taste and the music is quite dull. 2/10

I'm sorry, but this fairly decent album took a serious nose dive with this track. Awful. 1.

Eddies Wingman said:
If commitment is downing half a bottle of whisky the day before recording, maybe.

Hey, that's how Lemmy does most of his recordings!  :huh:

I really enjoy the guitars during the chorus and breakdown of this song. Music always comes before lyrics for me with Maiden so the lyrics don't detract. Daveys double solo is pretty sweet. 7

Pointless, overly simple and awesome.

The song is one of the catchiest things Maiden have ever released, the instrumental is probably technically the highlight of the song but I end up preferring the parts where Bruce sing because it's so catchy. I even actually quite the singing, it compliments the vibe of the song quite well, which is fairly light hearted anyway.

I'm switching between 7 and 8 out of 10. Might go for 7 because I do realise the song is really not very good and I just enjoy it for some reason. 7/10 it is.

I gave 5 before posting, but maybe I should have given 4.  Most people have already said the bad things about this song better than I could.  I'll just add that the one thing that saves this song from an even lower grade is that the chorus is kind of catchy.

I don't even know what "Hooks in You" means.  :blush:

It's something related to fishing ? "fishing" a woman, if related to the lyrics ?

I'm listening to this song live for the very first time. Let's see if it goes better....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9D38V3gyXs

Marillion has also a "hooks in you" song. Didn't know that.  :p

Rotam said:
I don't even know what "Hooks in You" means.  :blush:

It's something related to fishing ? "fishing" a woman, if related to the lyrics ?

Fortunately, there's the Commentary.

I gotta admit that the back story is pretty funny, but still, the song has no meaning to me.

2/10 I never listen to this song. I find it an embarrassment to the Maiden catalogue, along with Holy Shit I mean Holy Smoke. :turd:

Weird song; too un-Maidenish, with riffs and Bruce's raspy voice. The solo is good, and the riff that comes late in song digs it up a bit. 6

Back