Hooks In You

How good is Hooks in You on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Hooks In You' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'hooks In You'

[!--QuoteBegin-Uwe+Aug 23 2004, 08:53 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Uwe @ Aug 23 2004, 08:53 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Well, quite a melodic song, but the lyrics completely ruin it.
[snapback]84216[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I love the lyrics... great song. Isn't it one song from the Charlotte-Saga? 10/10

'hooks In You'

[!--QuoteBegin-DOD=WEAK+Jun 8 2005, 04:33 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DOD=WEAK @ Jun 8 2005, 04:33 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] This is a terrible song with a terrible chorus which horrifies me to think of how they could have come up with this junk. 1 star from me.
[snapback]107803[/snapback]​
[/quote]
This must be a very unhappy person [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, I really like the song. I think the "number 22" makes it into a part of my favourite trilogy [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . Great guitar riff and the lyrics are funny. I also like the way Bruce sings on this one, kind of foreshadowing the direction in which he would go after Maiden. This is a great rocker. It doesn't always have to be philosophy or a piece with 10 musical ideas.

'hooks In You'

In the last verse of the song the guy finds out her wife is unfaithful so he in a way "punishes" her. Infidelity is a topic which surfaces in a few Bruce songs as well, most noticably in "Ballad Of Mutt". I wonder if these lyrics were inspired by Bruce's personal relationships? Especially with his former wife?

I know it's not cool to discuss the members' personal lives but since the lyrics sounds personal, I would like to discuss this.

'hooks In You'

I'll give it a 3,5!

Actually, I really like this song, it definitly rocks, and in my opinion it's one of the best from this album! (yes, I admit it, I also like Bring your Daughter... ...Holy Smoke is quite good to... Tail Gunner's OK... but still one of the least good albums, after the Blaze ones... )

The guitars on this track are great, especially when Bruce's singing the "Hooks in you, I've got those hooks in you "-part.

'hooks In You'

[!--QuoteBegin-JEFFMETAL+Aug 17 2005, 11:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(JEFFMETAL @ Aug 17 2005, 11:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For those who are into playing some instrument, i noticed something very cool about this terrific song the other day. The chorus (Hooks in you,hooks in me...) is constructed around the same structure of the chorus to Rush's Limelight.

The difference is that the chords in Limelight are in E major (G#,E,F#) and on Hooks In You are in A major (B,A,C#). The sequence of chords in both tunes, do like a 360º spin and i found it very interesting.

I don't know if Adrian or Bruce thought about it (i suppose they don't), but try to compare both and maybe you'll see what i'm saying... Cheers to all
[snapback]115766[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yes I noticed that too. But it's a very typical hard rock scheme anyway.

Another Rush similarity: The opening guitar line of Bruce Dickinson's "Space Race" sounds very likely to that famous guitar melody in Rush's "Xanadu" - especially, check out the 09:13 mark, at this time, it's almost the same, it has the same tone too. Rip off or just similarity?

'hooks In You'

Well, I know that most people say that the lyrics are poor but this song just has the great vibe and the solos are pretty cool. Not every song has to be super-serious you know. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Daily Song: Hooks in You

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Hooks in You

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

The lyrics for this song fucking suck. Period. 100%. The music saves it somewhat, but the song still is crap. 4/10.

Re: Daily Song: Hooks in You

9. Shallow, ridiculous lyrics, but the music is awesome. The bridge before solos have the same exact notes as the mid section of TROBB and has an amazing vibe, the chorus harmony has the same construction as Rush's Limelight (the chords are played in a circular mode), Jan's solo is one of his best, Davey's doubled solo is a must listening, too. Always loved this song, always will.

I think I smacked Alexander for having the worst lyrics in the catalogue. I may have to change that to “most pedantic,” because these are worse. It could have been a solid Smith riff rocker anthem that is buoyed by the occasional musical flourish. But it is dragged down by more of Bruce’s sandpaper vocals, and its lyrics can make me cringe in a way that even Quest For Fire cannot. Five.

The least good from the album but still it has moments when I sit on the edge of my seat. I like its aggressive rock and roll modus, e.g. right after the solos. When Bruce's whooooo yeaah yeah yeahh scream follows, the thunderous snare drum break by Nicko blows from the speakers, and the in your face couplets start again.  

I'll go for a high 6,5 --> 7.

Never liked this one much. Bruce is hardly singing on this one, back to the stuff from the opening track. Music is somewhat catchy, but the lyrics are rock bottom. Solo is nice, and so is the harmony part after it. But the singing brings this one down - although not as far down as to the level of The Assassin. 5/10.

If this is the best H could come up with for the album, it's obvious he had to leave the band. The music blows, Bruce is at his worst, the solos are god-awful and the song has no meaning at all. Maybe some of it is to be blamed on the poor production, but if the song was good, the production wouldn't drag it down that much. 2/10. There is worse in the Maiden catalogue, but not much.

The riffs are cute, but Bruce is god awful and the lyrics are... well, it's been said before.

I can enjoy it, but when you put it next to other Maiden songs... it just seems very shallow and without taste or color.

4/10, and I am now realizing I've been a little easy on it.

7 out of 10... I actually kinda like this tune, although it's nothing too special. I like the riffing, and while the solos are not spectacular, they sound classic. I'm surprised at the depth of the dislike that some have for this one...

My favorite Maiden song. Only to be beaten by THE PHANTOM OF THE OPPERA!!!!  :edmetal:

So, it goes like this:

1. Phantom
2. Hooks
3. Long pause
#. Everything else

It actually is my favorite Maiden song, but it's not on the top of my list. That spot belongs automatically to Phantom, even if I think it's a worst Maiden song.

10/10.

Back