Here we go again...Iron Maiden sued over the rights of 6 songs

I also still don't understand the incessant focus on "why is Dennis doing this now?" & the blow-by-blow character assassination in respect to what's motivating various parties a this time.

Well I couldn’t give 2 shits if you understand the focus on “why Dennis is doing this now” or not. You and forostar are prime examples of people who lurk and post on the same Internet forum for years and feel a kind of superiority to others so when someone disagrees with your point of view you fire back with a response that is snarky and rude. You both have a style of posting that comes across like you know better and is very dismissive of others.

If that’s how you want to be so be it. If you get off on trying to look superior on an Internet forum amongst strangers then good for you.

Well I couldn’t give 2 shits if you understand the focus on “why Dennis is doing this now” or not. You and forostar are prime examples of people who lurk and post on the same Internet forum for years and feel a kind of superiority to others so when someone disagrees with your point of view you fire back with a response that is snarky and rude. You both have a style of posting that comes across like you know better and is very dismissive of others.

If that’s how you want to be so be it. If you get off on trying to look superior on an Internet forum amongst strangers then good for you.
Any reason you thought I was referring to you?

Either way, the personal attack won't go unchallenged. Here's two shits for you...
...you fire back with a response that is snarky and rude.
Have you re-read over the drivel you've posted in this thread?
My opinion is my opinion and I’ll stand by this.
Your opinion being...
Dennis Wilcock and the rest of the Maiden 77 bunch are just green eyed no bodies...
Dennis wilcox deserves exactly zero pounds and zero pence from Maiden!!!
Whatever the true reason this has all come about it totally stinks and shows Dennis and Mckay, in my opinion, to me nothing more than money grabbing pondlife!
... it’s just pure green eyed monster jealousy that Maiden got massive years after they left...
I could not give a flying fuck if he wrote all the lyrics to strange world or not.
... after maiden get big they come crawling out of their caves overstating their importance in the history of the band and and demanding money.
As a matter of principle I would hire the best lawyers in the world and grind McKay into the ground and bankrupt him for life with the cost of all this!
Literally none of that was worth posting.

Last edited:
Talk about vanity.

I hope @Zare will elaborate. I didn't quite understand the last sentence,
either.

I think a person that was in the same band as Dennis Wilcock between 80 and 84 wrote on bands facebook how Wilcock never mentioned alleged theft of writing credits. It's not fair to claim Harris not remembering who wrote what as being bogus, when we have a person who was in the band for 2 years, goes away, band becomes famous, they're the only world-class success of their generation (by 1984) and their circle of musicians/bands, and he claims he lost every interest and somehow wasn't aware what the band was doing.

30 years later he wakes up finds out Harris is filthy rich, Maiden is a legend and, of course, it's all on the back of his stolen lyrics.

I mean, come on. Do you understand now?

Pink Floyd is sighted in respect to guys in the band being employed

Has nothing to do with song credits per se. Rick Wright quit Pink Floyd in 1981 after being dissatisfied with the band for a few years. If anything, he profited on the quit. The issue of credits had escalated in 1977 but between Gilmour and Waters, it was about Dogs, a song written 90% by Gilmour. When you look at album credits you realize 1/6 credits is Gilmour while his "contribution" to Dogs makes up for half of the album in run time.

Why do people keep sighting the time that a given party has taken before taking legal action? This has been dismissed as irrelevant by the highest legal authorities in the UK. All that matters is can any of these guys prove they wrote lyrics &/or material. Maybe they won't need to provide proof. Maybe they'll get their day in court & Steve will be asked under oath whether he wrote the lyrics/music. That could be interesting.
For me it’s professional curiosity - for last 13 years I’m working in strategic brand management and crisis communication. Dealing with PR shitstorms is my daily job so for me this aspect is more interesting than legal one.

Has nothing to do with song credits per se. Rick Wright quit Pink Floyd in 1981 after being dissatisfied with the band for a few years. If anything, he profited on the quit. The issue of credits had escalated in 1977 but between Gilmour and Waters, it was about Dogs, a song written 90% by Gilmour. When you look at album credits you realize 1/6 credits is Gilmour while his "contribution" to Dogs makes up for half of the album in run time.
I just mentioning it to make people understand that who is assigned credit for a song (legally) is not necessarily who actually wrote the song. I concede it's not really relevant here, in respect to these claims. But people were talking about song-writing credits.

Ok I see. That's really groundwork for what we're discussing here so I didn't know it had to be explained. Intellectual property is legally transferable. Whether all legal procedures have been met is the real question and the answer is probably no. What that means is that I don't believe Maiden didn't compensate these early members under the counter back in early to mid 80s.

Magnus I wrote earlier I believe that so much people had input in songs in early days that Harris might've forgotten who to attribute it to.
You all might call for some moral tragedies here but a court process is exact and someone is suing for damage. If the court can't come to conclusion who exactly wrote what no damages can be paid out.

Edit : Cried we already know about CTHs credits being dodgy and it hardly makes Harris a bad guy. Besides what about that band of Wilcock's and their post that he hadn't mentioned this ever?

I think you nailed it. I don't think Harris is bad , just too careless and trusting with his management team in the early days and is now extremely protective of his musical baby:
  • The early days were a blur for all of the reasons previously mentioned
  • Steve couldn't remember who wrote exactly what, said 'F&ck it, those blokes are gone and I can't remember who did exactly what, just put me on there since I wrote the bulk of it'
  • They went from pub band to world wide arena headliner generating millions in revenue in less time than it takes for most of us to get through university - contracts & paperwork were probably turning over at lightning speed and nobody paid much attention to the early credits because no one expected the band to get so big to even cause these issues
  • In retrospect, this was a daft business practice and they didn't protect themselves (but maybe they did buy some folks out early on? Who knows...)
As to Wilcock's memory:
  • I really think Wilcock probably thought he never had a chance to have a go against Maiden's growing army of attorneys and probably just never pursued it
  • Wilcock saw the Beckett thing prevail and thought "Why not? I'm not getting any younger"
  • Rather than saying that, Wilcock comes up with a BS explanation for it
...but the most interesting thing will be the proof. I'm really curious if McKay is sitting on some bootleg as a smoking gun. I can't imagine that schoolboy salvos of "he said this/he said that" reaches the requisite burden of proof to convince a trier of fact that you're owed damages. The passage of time is important when it comes to witness recollections and surviving tangible evidence.

Magnus I wrote earlier I believe that so much people had input in songs in early days that Harris might've forgotten who to attribute it to.

I've been in bands that write original songs since 1986. We have written hundreads of songs since. I don't remember all songs, but of the ones I remember I remember exactly who wrote what.

Last edited:
Back