Here we go again...Iron Maiden sued over the rights of 6 songs

On the plus side
For the Maiden historian: we now know that
- Prodigal Son existed in some form long before the Killers album;
- Iron Maiden had at least three versions of lyrics;
- at least four other Maiden songs, and not just Killers, used to have lyrics differing from the definite versions we all know*
- Paul Day was probably the best lyricist 1970s Maiden had.

* Can't really decide if I prefer the early romantic
Walking along I see your face when no one is there
Swagger your legs and marking your stride don't you know what they say
Shaking your tits and giving the eye when they're looking at you
Stating your facts and deciding it's time for this is your life now

to the official
Giving a swish with your arse in the air, don't you know what they're saying?
Charlotte you're so refined when you take all the love that they're giving.
Sticking with every man that you find, don't you know what they're after?
Charlotte you've got your legs in the air, don't you hear all the laughter?

although the latter has more punctuation, obviously.

I don't know how British law works, but it seems to be that putting your side of the lawsuit into the best terms possible is usually the best way to look for leverage, especially when what you really want is to settle. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that this particular lawsuit will be settled very rapidly. Mr McKay has proven that he is very good at playing the public relations side of the lawsuit game, after all, there is a reason why this lawsuit was filed during the largest tour in a long time.
A civil lawsuit is often a test of whose pockets are the deepest. Sad though it may be, there are more ways to "win" than swiftly proving on the balance of probabilities the justice of your cause. It's also possible to play a long game - string it out, make a lot of noise in the media, generally cause as much trouble as you can in the hope of wearing your opponent down and getting them to capitulate just to get rid of the nuisance. It is high risk and inherently expensive, however the revelation that McKay is bankrolling the whole thing himself puts a completely different spin on the procedings. Consider the circumstances of the parties in the last case: McKay, retired and doing it for "fun" (and paying for it out of his own pocket); Quinn, living in a caravan and doing (so far as we are aware) basically sod all; and Maiden, a hard-working and well-respected band who just want to keep their touring show on the road. It's not hard to work out who had the potential to cause the most nuisance to whom.

I predicted this would happen and I desperately wanted to be wrong, but here we are ...
:(

* Can't really decide if I prefer the early romantic
Walking along I see your face when no one is there
Swagger your legs and marking your stride don't you know what they say
Shaking your tits and giving the eye when they're looking at you
Stating your facts and deciding it's time for this is your life now

to the official
Giving a swish with your arse in the air, don't you know what they're saying?
Charlotte you're so refined when you take all the love that they're giving.
Sticking with every man that you find, don't you know what they're after?
Charlotte you've got your legs in the air, don't you hear all the laughter?

although the latter has more punctuation, obviously.

You cannot polish a turd...

I just want everyone to keep in mind what was said about McKay in the last thread by @fisherenterprises. It's worth reviewing:

OK. At present, apparently, some information is sub-judice, and some is not; so considering how vehemently many of you have insulted Barry McKay, I want to put the record straight and get everyone reading from the same hymnbook.
I've been informed that Barry is representing two ex. members of Iron Maiden, absolutely free of charge, and will even cover any costs should they be awarded against them. Donations will be made to a Newcastle children's cancer charity out of any damages they receive rather than go to Barry.
History: While he was managing Lindisfarne, Barry recovered full ownership of all their, and Alan Hull's publishing rights from a dishonest publisher. It made Barry no money, but very happy.
He has made something of a crusade out of taking on the big guys (and winning); for example, he took on EMI on behalf of a musician one time, and not only was judgement in his favour, but it actually created positive new case law for recording artists. He is 100% pro. artists and was not happy having to go against Steve Harris, but intimidation simply strengthens his resolve. If Steve has his name on songs written, or co-written by others, then it is only a matter of time before the truth comes out.
OK, I know I am banging the drum for Barry (I am a drummer of course) but I was distressed by the vicious attacks on his character, simply because he won a legal battle against Rod Smallwood et al. It could just as easily have been (and probably has been) the other way round, with Rod protecting the rights of one of his clients; then, of course, he would be the conquering hero. Swings and roundabouts Folks.

I just want everyone to keep in mind what was said about McKay in the last thread by @fisherenterprises. It's worth reviewing:
I had not forgotten. But I've seen no reason to reappraise my initial assessment that he seems so full of vitriol and spite that I'm having a hard time trying to accept that he's in this for purely altruistic reasons.

When Fisher brought us the original version of the story he also had this to say:
What I find the most difficult aspect of this issue to accept is that Steve ever had any intention of doing anything even remotely questionable. If Kenny (Beckett member) hadn’t assured me that Steve Harris is nothing short of a diamond geezer, I would have said as much anyway, purely from what I have seen of him on the Flight 666 film that I viewed last week; not to mention the irrefutable success that the man has achieved with never a word spoken against him in decades of dealing with a global enterprise. I happily concede there are not many like him out there.
I get the distinct impression that McKay doesn't agree ...

Rod et al might have tried to bully McKay during the first lawsuit with no success and perhaps that has made him even more determined.

At the end of the day, it seems pretty clear that the songwriting credits of the first two albums (we could also include TNOTB, with Bruce uncredited contributions and the Beckett stuff) do not include the names of people who did contribute but were never credited. I just hope that things do not get too nasty, people who deserve to be paid outside the band (if there are any) get their fair share, and us fans could continue to enjoy the Maiden shows without any songs being dropped for legal reasons.

Rod et al might have tried to bully McKay during the first lawsuit with no success and perhaps that has made him even more determined.
He was like that before the previous case even went to court though, so even if that happened I don't think it's the only or original reason.

I think the Willcock case has some chance, especially if he proves that he in fact had the copyright to those songs as he claims in the lawsuit. But his argument that he wasn't aware of the recordings prior to 2014 is really hard to believe. I mean, how is he going to prove that he didn't know anything about them?

Now the Wilson-Slesser one is just beyond ridiculous. And I think his lawsuit even contradicts itself, because he claims that "a substantial part of Rainbow’s Gold had been incorporated within Hallowed Be Thy Name" and at the same time he just mentions that one line which isn't even the same.

This was posted yesterday...

"Early pub years Iron Maiden before they found the real-deal singer Paul Di'Anno and landed their first album deal. The rest is rock history. The source of this recording is unknown and no royalties are being collected. This audio is for educational purposes only."

"Early pub years Iron Maiden before they found the real-deal singer Paul Di'Anno and landed their first album deal. The rest is rock history. The source of this recording is unknown and no royalties are being collected. This audio is for educational purposes only."

does it name the rhythym guitarist?

I feel like all of this just reaffirms my very strong beliefs that Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot are two of the worst Maiden songs ever written :D

Couple things that stick out:

Steve Harris is really carrying the band musically. It feels like Ron Rebel is struggling to keep up and they don't lock in the way Steve/Clive and Steve/Nicko do.

This band really doesn't work with just one guitarist.

I can't believe they allowed Dennis Wilcock's baggage in the early days. Easily the weak link.

Couple things that stick out:

Steve Harris is really carrying the band musically. It feels like Ron Rebel is struggling to keep up and they don't lock in the way Steve/Clive and Steve/Nicko do.

This band really doesn't work with just one guitarist.

I can't believe they allowed Dennis Wilcock's baggage in the early days. Easily the weak link.
I honestly think he might be the worst singer Maiden have ever had, even Blaze sounds 100 times better than Dennis Wilcock. And yeah you are right the chemistry just isn't here. Maiden really has come along ways since Maiden77'. When paul joined he brought the band to a whole other level if this was the previous level and ofcourse new gutiar players and drummers.

Back