Helloween & Gamma Ray

Helloween to release new album next year.

When asked if HELLOWEEN is planning to take a break now or go back to the studio to begin work on its next album, Dani said, "We're already talking about ideas for the next album, which is planned to release by the end of 2012. When this tour is finished, we're heading to the studio to write and record new material so that it's ready for [release] at the end of next year."

Helloween is one band that has really begun to disappoint me in recent years.  The last album really didn't impress me much, and even live, they're getting really repetitive.  I saw two Helloween shows with half a year in between, and in addition to them using almost the same set list, Andi even used the same jokes.  Now, compare them to Blind Guardian, another German power metal giant, who still perform brilliantly and make excellent albums too...  And Gamma Ray works really well live, though their albums haven't impressed me.

Latest albums: Helloween > Gamma Ray > Blind Guardian
Latest setlists: Blind Guardian > Gamma Ray >>>>> Helloween

'Seven Sinners' was a pretty average album but I really enjoyed 'Gambling with the Devil'. It's not quite as good as the first three Helloween albums but I still think the songs are of a consistent high quality.

The Helloween albums have are the first four, 'Better than Raw', 'Time of the Oath' and the two most recent albums. What other ones are worth getting?

Master Of The Rings and The Dark Ride are the best of the ones you don't have. All of their albums are worth getting, including Chameleon.

I've read that it's very similar to 'Pink Bubbles Go Ape' though, which is dire. :huh:

What actually happened to Helloween? Their first three albums were fantastic genre-defining albums then 'Pink Bubbles Go Ape' happened. Apparently it was something to do with their original record label screwing them over.

It has more to do with Kai Hansen leaving the band and with Kiske becoming religious and wanting to play pop music.

Speaking of Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian, what albums of theirs would you recommend? I've only heard Land of the Free (which is extremely good) and the odd Blind Guardian song.

From best to least best: :)
Gamma Ray - Power Plant, Majestic, Somewhere Out In Space, No World Order!
Blind Guardian - Tales From The Twilight World, Battalions Of Fear, Somewhere Far Beyond, Follow The Blind

Gamma Ray: Somewhere Out in Space, Power Plant, No World Order at least.  The live album Hell Yeah: The Awesome Foursome is a good compilation too.

Blind Guardian: All of them pretty much, but start out with Nightfall in Middle Earth, Somewhere Far Beyond, and Imaginations from the Other Side.  The live album Live (yes, that's what it's called) is also excellent.

Forostar said:
Random note: click
(12th album in that list)
You're spot on about the brilliance of Simon Philips (the guy owns a recording studio nowadays). Although I rate Last Rose of the Summer higher than you do and praise Dissident Aggressor as high as you do - I mean. It's a Thrash Metal song more than half a decade before Kill 'Em All.

I am very impressed by Philips indeed (I always forget how to spell out his name though ;) ).
The man did terribly many sessions: click

Just picked up Powerplant and Somewhere out in Space. Both albums are very good although they aren't as great as Land of the Free.

Back