Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

Re: Heaven and Hell to record new album in 2008!

Forostar said:
This was especially directed at Shadow.

If so, what ever led you to believe I don't follow the current metal scene much? I have made no such statement to my knowledge.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't read or post articles from Blabbermouth. Hell, I read it often too. Perun just brought Bravewords up, and I thought I'd share my opinion on the two.

Shadow said:
If so, what ever led you to believe I don't follow the current metal scene much? I have made no such statement to my knowledge.

Well, it might not be smart to continue this discussion, so perhaps I better shouldn't.

603px-Thedevilyouknow-Large_%28Actual_Art_Work%29.jpg

01. "Atom and Evil" – 5:15
02. "Fear"– 4:48
03. "Bible Black"– 6:29
04. "Double the Pain"– 5:25
05. "Rock and Roll Angel"– 6:25
06. "The Turn of the Screw"– 5:02
07. "Eating the Cannibals"– 3:37
08. "Follow the Tears"– 6:12
09. "Neverwhere"– 4:35
10. "Breaking into Heaven"– 7:03

I haven't seen an overwhelming response so far. I heard it two times and it's a good album but not (yet) as great as I would have liked. It sure might grow with some more spins.

There's still some very strong tracks. From the first listening I immediately enjoyed the first two, Atom Evil (which reminds me a bit of the title track of The Eternal Idol (1987)) & Fear, plus the last one, Breaking into Heaven.

Atom Evil & Breaking into Heaven are nice doomy songs with powerful chorusses and solos and Fear stands out because of its energetic riffing.

Speaking about the guitars, I like Tony Iommi's playing more than on the previous album of this quartet, especially the solos.

@Perun and others, how do you like it?

I'm currently listening to it for the second time, can't yet say very much about it. So far, it feels very slow and heavy, but with some great guitar work.

I've only heard a couple songs so far, but some friends and myself were thinking the same thing:  slow and heavy.  But it does sound like Sabbath to me.

Some stuff is so heavy and slow that it reminds me of Candlemass (who are obviously influenced by Sabbath as hell). ;)

I dunno, I simply like it. My favorite song is definetly Follow The Tears. I mean, it`s not like the previous Dio albums, it`s much, much heavier and gloomier. But everything is here: Iommi`s riffs, Dio`s unbeliveable voice and Geezer`s recognizable bass playing (even though his bass is sometimes hard to hear due to Iommi`s massive guitar sound). My only complaint is Appice`s weak drumming. He just doesn`t do anything original or interesting (like Powell did, at least in my opinion), and his drum sound is, and has always been a bit muddy (again, unlike Powell`s sharp sound).

Back