Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
It's Official: DIO, IOMMI, BUTLER And WARD To Reunite As HEAVEN AND HELL - Oct. 25, 2006 

A representative for BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi has confirmed that the highly anticipated and much-rumored reunion of Iommi, Ronnie James Dio, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward appears to be shaping up and taking a new form. After various promoters have approached the former SABBATH bandmates' respective representatives, the guys have started taking all of this very seriously, as they have aparently wanted to reunite for some time now. It looks as if the new shape may be that of HEAVEN AND HELL — that is the moniker that the band is likely to use on their new venture. If all goes well, HEAVEN AND HELL should be hitting the road in early 2007.

In an August 16, 2006 appearance on the syndicated radio show "Rockline", Dio had the following to say about the possibility of further collaborations with BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi:

"We've already written one [new] song together. The reason for that is that there's a release coming out, it's called 'Black Sabbath: The Dio Years' — they've already done one, of course, 'Black Sabbath: The Ozzy Years'; that was the beginning and, really, the best part of it all — but they've decided to do one, again, 'Black Sabbath: The Dio Years', and we wanted to make it a little but more special, not just give you things you've not heard from a live perspective. These are two things you'll never hear again — two new songs. We are going to do that. It's been fun already. The one we've done — the one that I've done with Tony has been really wonderful — just great to realize how magnificent a player he was. You forget that after 10 years at a time that you don't work with someone. So we are gonna be doing that. And I hope you'll like it. I think it'll be great."

On the rumors of him possibly rejoining BLACK SABBATH, Dio said, "There's always rumors about everything — about a RAINBOW reunion, about a BLACK SABBATH reunion. Our purpose was to do this because we wanted to have this product be a bit more special than anything else — not just, 'Here's a live track you've never heard before.' I mean, that's cool, but I'm sure people have heard that. We wanted to do something a bit more special, so the whole band would write and play these songs, and… They've wanted to hear them long enough, so here they are. But it's not anything that we've talked about leading to anything other than that. No, it's for that project." 

----------

Excellent. Imo this is Black Zombie turns to Black Sabbath, finally.

The new name for this band is smart, since they might have less trouble with witch Sharon Osbourne. It also refers to the album Heaven and Hell (1980) which had this same line-up !

Looking forward as hell ( ;) ) to see them live and to hear new music!

Re: Heaven and Hell - (Iommi, Dio, Butler, Ward)

Conor posted pretty much the same text as above here but thought it only a rumour. But if this is still been reported as of today, then it may have more weight behind it.

Albie said:
Conor posted pretty much the same text as above here but thought it only a rumour. But if this is still been reported as of today, then it may have more weight behind it.

Sorry. I was so enthousiastic that I overlooked that topic.

Forostar said:
Sorry. I was so enthousiastic that I overlooked that topic.
I have to say, this would be good news for all us fans of the Dio era of Sabbath - me included. :D

It’s a necessary move if the band wants to focus on tomorrow, instead of being stuck in the past.

The last Black Sabbath album was from 1995! So this is by all means a step from nothing to something.

Now, Sabbath finally can be creative again. :--)
At least: It can't get worse !

I have to admit that Dio had already returned earlier and this was not the greatest success. It was a flop. I know people who like Dehumanizer, but I thought most songs were boring, especially compared to Heaven and Hell. Also, all albums with Tony Martin were way and way better.

From Blabbermouth:

A representative for Ozzy Osbourne has issued the following statement regarding the reports that BLACK SABBATH members Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward are planning on teaming up with ex-SABBATH singer Ronnie James Dio for a tour under the HEAVEN AND HELL moniker:

"Tony Iommi and Ronnie Dio are working on a project together which has nothing to do with BLACK SABBATH. There is only one BLACK SABBATH. Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and Bill will be touring late next year along with a new BLACK SABBATH album. However, Ozzy wishes Tony and Ronnie much success in their project together."

:blink:

ABandOn said:
From Blabbermouth:
"Tony Iommi and Ronnie Dio are working on a project together which has nothing to do with BLACK SABBATH. There is only one BLACK SABBATH. Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and Bill will be touring late next year along with a new BLACK SABBATH album. However, Ozzy wishes Tony and Ronnie much success in their project together."

:blink:

Oh, great, we're going to wind up with two versions of the same band, aren't we? L.A. Guns and... L.A. Guns featuring Tracii Guns? RATT and Stephen Pearcy's RATT?

Eh, whatever. Ozzy can do what he wants, but I'd much rather see Dio-Sabbath than him (at least now). This also begs the question... are Tony, Geezer, and Bill going to be doing two tours next year? Maybe Ozzy Sabbath can open for Dio Sabbath... ;)

PolarisSLBM said:
Maybe Ozzy Sabbath can open for Dio Sabbath... ;)
I REALLY wish that was true...Ronnie deserves it, mainly because he´s such a great singer!
Ozzy has never been a vocally-developed singer, but currently he can´t even sing "happy birthday"...

^^MeTaLeRo^^ said:
I REALLY wish that was true...Ronnie deserves it, mainly because he´s such a great singer!
Ozzy has never been a vocally-developed singer, but currently he can´t even sing "happy birthday"...

But DIO doesn't have a television show... ;)

PolarisSLBM said:
But DIO doesn't have a television show... ;)
I´m sorry...but I didn´t get the point...
If we´re joking about it, I say the "tiny-grandpa" doesn´t need it... ;)

HEAVEN AND HELL Recruits VINNY APPICE For Upcoming Tour, SABBATH Box Set - Nov. 23, 2006

Reliable sources have informed BLABBERMOUTH.NET that drummer Vinny Appice (DIO, BLACK SABBATH) is currently in the U.K laying down drums on the two new tracks that will be included on BLACK SABBATH's forthcoming box set, "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years". In addition, Appice will be manning the drums on the upcoming 2007 tour by HEAVEN AND HELL — the new band featuring legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW) alongside original BLACK SABBATH members Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. Founding SABBATH member/drummer Bill Ward, who was originally announced as being part of the HEAVEN AND HELL lineup, will apparently not take part in the group's upcoming trek.

Appice, 49, joined BLACK SABBATH in 1980, and appeared on the albums "Mob Rules" (1981) and the album recorded on that tour, "Live Evil" (1983). In late 1982, before "Live Evil" even hit the shelves, he left SABBATH with vocalist Ronnie James Dio and formed the band DIO. He appeared on the DIO albums "Holy Diver" (1983), "The Last in Line" (1984), "Sacred Heart" (1985), "Intermission" (1986), and "Dream Evil" (1987). In 1992 Appice returned to BLACK SABBATH (with Ronnie James Dio) for the "Dehumanizer" album and tour.

As previously reported, Dio recently revealed to Classic Rock magazine that HEAVEN AND HELL will likely headline next year's Monsters of Rock festival.

Monsters of Rock returned to the U.K. festival scene at Milton Keynes Bowl this past summer, with DEEP PURPLE as headliners. Now it looks like it will return in 2007, with HEAVEN AND HELL on the bill.

The following is a brief interview Classic Rock conducted with Dio at the Nov. 6, 2006 Classic Rock Roll of Honour event in London:

Classic Rock: Speaking of Tony Iommi, there are of course rumors that you will be reuniting with him, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward as HEAVEN AND HELL next year.

Ronnie: They're absolutely true. We'll probably be doing a year of touring together. And it's looking like you'll see us at the Monsters of Rock festival, then shows in America. And after that we'll come back to the U.K. for eight or nine more shows.

Classic Rock: That's amazing news. More amazing still was that Ozzy Osbourne wished you well with HEAVEN AND HELL.

Ronnie: Yes, he did. Bless Ozzy. He's a special, special person. He's one of the creators of heavy metal music. He deserves wondrous applause, he's a wonderful man and I hope he and Sharon's lives are very, very happy.

BLACK SABBATH frontman Ozzy Osbourne recently issued a statement that a SABBATH tour with Osbourne, Iommi, Butler and Ward will kick off late 2007 to coincide with the group's first new studio album featuring that lineup since 1978's "Never Say Die!"

to coincide with the group's first new studio album featuring that lineup since 1978's "Never Say Die!"

:lol:
Let me guess, the title will be Chinese Democracy...

Forostar said:
As previously reported, Dio recently revealed to Classic Rock magazine that HEAVEN AND HELL will likely headline next year's Monsters of Rock festival.

Monsters of Rock returned to the U.K. festival scene at Milton Keynes Bowl this past summer, with DEEP PURPLE as headliners. Now it looks like it will return in 2007, with HEAVEN AND HELL on the bill.
Deep Purple were amazing, as were the rest of the line-up. Black Sabbath Mk. II this year! What next? - Jimi Hendrix in 2008?

HEAVEN AND HELL members Ronnie James Dio (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW) and Geezer Butler (BLACK SABBATH) were interviewed by radio personality/VH1 Classic VJ Eddie Trunk on his "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM last night (Friday, January 19). According to Joe Siegler of the BLACK SABBATH fan site Black-Sabbath.com, the following topics/points were covered on the show:

* The first U.S. gig for the HEAVEN AND HELL tour will be March 30 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. There will be no opening act for this show; it's just HEAVEN AND HELL. The band is expected to play an extra-long set at this concert. Tickets are priced between $54.00 and $74.00 and go on sale Friday, January 26 at 10:00 a.m.

* There will be other U.S. dates, but not before August. No further information is currently available on which cities they might hit.

* After the Canadian tour and the New York City date, HEAVEN AND HELL will play South America before heading over to Europe for the summer festival run. A full U.S. tour will take place in August, to be followed by U.K., Japan and Australia.

* Both Geezer and Ronnie said that it is pretty likely there will be no Ozzy-era tracks played during the HEAVEN AND HELL shows. The setlist will consist exclusively of material off the "Heaven And Hell", "Mob Rules" and "Dehumanizer" albums, plus the three new songs written and recorded for the upcoming compilation CD, "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years".

* Tour rehearsals start roughly two weeks from now.

* "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years" will be released April 3 through Rhino.

* All three newly recorded tracks ("Shadow of the Wind", "Devil Cries" and "Ear in the Wall") will be on the "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years" album. It was previously reported that only two of the songs would make the final cut, but Geezer confirmed that all three will now be included on the collection.

* There are no keyboards on the newly recorded tracks.

* Keyboards on the HEAVEN AND HELL tour will be handled by Scott Warren from the DIO band.

* Geezer did not contribute to the songwriting for any of the three new songs, and neither did Bill Ward and Vinny Appice; these tracks were written by Tony and Ronnie. Side note: DIO bassist Rudy Sarzo said in a recent interview that two of the three new SABBATH tracks contain ideas Ronnie had put forth for the next DIO album, but which ended up being used for the SABBATH collection instead.

* According to Ronnie, this was never intended to be a full-fledged reunion when it started; it was only supposed to result in a couple of new tracks being written and recorded for the upcoming compilation. He did say, however, that the opportunity to dust off the old Dio-era SABBATH tracks in a live environment was too great to pass up. Finally, he said that history has shown they can't plan too far ahead for this, and that they do not intend at this point to carry on past the tour. However, he left open the possibility for further activity once they have fulfilled their touring obligations.

* Part of the reason this project is being called HEAVEN AND HELL and not BLACK SABBATH is that they all felt that the original SABBATH (with Ozzy Osbourne) has been "back together" for awhile now, and since they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with that lineup, they wanted to avoid any confusion and decided to call this something else instead.

* Ronnie said that after the HEAVEN AND HELL touring cycle is finished, he will go back into the studio with DIO to record "Magica II" and "III" and then tour "with a stage show worthy of the story."

Re: Heaven and Hell

Thanks a lot Forostar!!!  :ok:
Forostar said:
* After the Canadian tour and the New York City date, HEAVEN AND HELL will play South America before heading over to Europe for the summer festival run. A full U.S. tour will take place in August, to be followed by U.K., Japan and Australia.
It seems they´ll come to these lands...so I thank you again for this info. Now I´m REALLY happy!

Cheers!

My dreams are coming true...  :bigsmile:  ::)
This was published on Iommi.com:
March 11: Vancouver, BC - Pacific Coliseum – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 13: Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 14: Calgary, AB - Saddledome – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 16: Regina, SK - Brandt Centre – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 18: Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 20: Sault St. Marie - Steelback Centre – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 22: Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 24: London, ON - John Labatt Centre – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 12 noon EST
March 26: Montreal, PQ - Bell Centre – public onsale Saturday 27th Jan, 12 noon EST
March 27: Quebec City, PQ - Colisee Pepsi Arena – public onsale Saturday 27th Jan, 10am EST
March 28: Ottawa, ON - Civic Centre – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST
March 30: New York, NY - Radio City Music Hall – public onsale Friday 26th Jan, 10am EST

There´s more info. in this article on Blabbermouth.net.
As previously reported, there will be no opening act for the Radio City Music Hall show; it's just HEAVEN AND HELL. The band is expected to play an extra-long set at this concert.

After the Canadian tour and the New York City date, HEAVEN AND HELL will play South America before heading over to Europe for the summer festival run. A full U.S. tour will take place in August, to be followed by U.K., Japan and Australia.

What do you think about this?

From: http://classicrockrevisited.com/Interviews07/geezerbutler07.htm

Return to Heaven and Hell
An Interview with Black Sabbath Bass Player Geezer Butler

by Jeb Wright, February 2007

In 1979, the world of Heavy Metal was shook on it’s ear with the news that Ozzy Osbourne had been ousted by his own band members. It seemed Black Sabbath would be no more. However, brewing behind the scenes was a melding of Metal legends never before seen. From the mist left over from the Sabbath break up came legendary Rainbow vocalist Ronnie James Dio. Fans dubbed the union Black Rainbow and the sound the musicians made lived up to the moniker.

Heaven and Hell was released in May of 1980 and as soon as the title track was played on the radio legions of Sabbath fans flocked to the record store to buy the album. This lineup lasted only one album as Bill Ward exited mid-tour due to substance abuse issues and guilt over playing in Sabbath without Ozzy. Vinnie Appice replaced Ward and the band released Mob Rules and a live album before breaking up. The break up was rumored to have come about due to a clash of egos between Iommi and Dio. During the mixing of the live album, Live Evil, legend holds Dio would sneak into the control room to remix the album and raise the volume level of his vocals. Whether truth or legend, the fact is that personalities proved to be destructive and the band went their separate ways. Dio and Appice went on to find success in DIO while Sabbath floundered for several albums and line up changes. In the 90's Dio returned to the fold and the album Dehumanizer was released. This line up did not last either as the ego clash between Tony Iommi and Ronnie James proved to, once again, take precedence over the music they created. Ronnie returned to his solo career and Sabbath reunited with Ozzy.

In 2006, Ozzy admitted that he wanted to take a break from Sabbath and resume his solo career. Sabbath was officially on hold. Tony Iommi decided to go see his old band mate in concert and after the show the duo began talking. These talks led to reuniting with Geezer Butler, Ward and Iommi for a few tracks for an upcoming ‘best of’ album. Before the project even got off the ground, Ward backed out and Vinnie Appice was, once again, called in as an emergency replacement.

In this interview Geezer Butler sets the record straight on why the band is using the name Heaven and Hell instead of Black Sabbath as well as discussing in detail both bands future plans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeb: I grew up a huge fan of a band you may have heard of – Black Sabbath. I also loved a band called Rainbow. When Dio joined Sabbath in 1980 that was huge news. Now to hear you are all back together again is just awesome. How did this all come about?

Geezer: It all started this time when Tony went to see Ronnie James Dio in Birmingham, England. He went backstage after the show and they started talking. They had not spoken for something like fourteen years. Ronnie went back to Tony’s house and they wrote some stuff and it just went from there.

Jeb: When did you first hear about this?

Geezer: I knew that Tony met Ronnie and that they had written two or three songs. We are going to be putting out the Anthology CD of the Dio years of Sabbath. Rhino asked us if we could come up with some new stuff to put on it. Ronnie and Tony wrote three new songs. Word got out about it and we started getting tour offers. We started putting a tour together to go with the album release. I went over to England and put the bass down on it and that was that. The album will come out in March.

Jeb: Are there future plans yet or are you going to see how the tour goes?

Geezer: It is just a year long thing. Because of things that happened in the past we don’t want to press our luck. Everyone is happy with a year long tour.

Jeb: Bill Ward was going to be involved.

Geezer: Bill was involved originally. Bill was in the studio when I went over there but he didn’t want to tour so he didn’t go any further with it.

Jeb: I emailed drummer Vinnie Appice when I heard that Ward was with the band and I said, "Are you ready to go?" I was just joking. About a week later he emailed me that he was going over to England to record with Heaven and Hell.

Geezer: [much laughter] Vinnie did really well. He literally got one days notice. He got on the plane and came over and drummed on four tracks he had never heard before. He did a great job.

Jeb: You played together back in the 80's and the 90's and the band was called Black Sabbath. Now you are Heaven and Hell. Why is the name different this time around?

Geezer: Back then Sabbath was dead and buried, as far as Ozzy is concerned. The record company insisted on calling us Black Sabbath and we were contracted that way. I think Tony wanted to carry on with the name Black Sabbath anyway. Due to the restoration of the original Sabbath now, we couldn’t go out that way. We didn’t want to confuse everyone by going out this time as Black Sabbath with Ronnie and then next year going out as Sabbath with Ozzy. Both things are hopefully going to be ongoing.

Jeb: Sabbath is still alive?

Geezer: Yeah. With the original Black Sabbath line up that did the reunion, we have really only played North America and a few European places. We have always wanted to do a world tour.

Jeb: You have not visited the Dio era Sabbath material for some time. Has it been easy for you to revisit those songs?

Geezer: No, it has been really hard. For this tour we are doing strictly Dio era songs. Apart from "Neon Knights," "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" – which we have done live before – we have not done a lot of the others live. There are several songs we have never played live. We are playing a lot of stuff for the first time since we recorded it. It is hard to remember what you played on a lot of these songs.

Jeb: Now that you are relearning them, what do think of these songs?

Geezer: I think they are great. It is really surprising how good they are, musically.

Jeb: I think Sabbath has always had a huge sound with Ronnie. When you put out Heaven and Hell, you did not make people forget the Ozzy years but you shut the people up who said you could not go on without him.

Geezer: Absolutely. Looking back, I wish we would have changed the name back in 1980 because they really were two very different types of songs. I am really enjoying playing this stuff.

Jeb: Are you just putting the CD on and playing along with it trying to figure out your parts?

Geezer: Absolutely. The stuff that we have played a lot before is not a problem but there is a lot of stuff on Dehumanizer that we never played. I don’t even remember recording half of it. Those songs have a lot of tempo and time changes which make it quite hard to do them. For the last two weeks I have been going through all these songs at home. We are going to be getting together for two weeks of rehearsal soon. Everyone is doing their homework right now and then we will get together and bang it out.

Jeb: You will play no Ozzy era material at all?

Geezer: No, we are not doing any of that. The Ozzy thing is still ongoing so I think it is best to keep them totally separate.

Jeb: Were there any hard feelings from Ozzy when you guys wanted to do this?

Geezer: I think he got a bit upset at first when he thought we were going to go out as Black Sabbath. When I told him that we were not going to do that then he was fine with it.

Jeb: Do you think he will come out and see a show?

Geezer: I doubt it. He never goes out to see anyone [laughter].

Jeb: Ronnie is a leader of a band and Tony is the leader of a band. How are you going to handle having two top dogs?

Geezer: That is why we are doing this as a one-off thing. We will do ten months of touring and the CD. It was more difficult when it was an ongoing thing. It was hard to keep the two egos in check. This time everyone knows it is only for ten months. We are all looking forward to going out and playing the songs and then that is it.

Jeb: In 2007, how different is it being in a band compared to 1977?

Geezer: I think we all respect each other’s musicianship now. I don’t tell Tony what to play and we don’t tell Ronnie what to sing. We respect each other’s input, which gets rid of a lot of problems in a band. It really does avoid a lot of headaches. We also respect each other’s privacy and space. We are more mature in our outlook. We are looking at this as a ten-month project and that is it. Hopefully, we end up friends.

Jeb: So, I can assume that you are not going to let Ronnie mix the three new songs then.

Geezer: [laughter] I am staying well away from that one!

Jeb: You are using the Heaven and Hell album cover as your logo on your website. Do you remember where that picture came from?

Geezer: We had quite a few ideas for an album cover and that was the one that we all liked. I am not sure where that came from. It works very well for a band name. I can’t believe that nobody else has taken it.

Jeb: What songs are you looking forward to blasting out the most?

Geezer: I have always loved playing "Heaven and Hell." I like playing "Die Young," "Lonely is the Word" and "Children of the Sea." Like I said, we have not played a lot of these songs since we recorded them so it is going to be very interesting.

Jeb: Is there talk of a DVD?

Geezer: I think there is talk about a DVD. A couple of the shows will be shot on video.

Jeb: Have you rehearsed with Ronnie yet?

Geezer: No, not a full rehearsal.

Jeb: Have you heard his voice? It is just as strong as ever.

Geezer: That is what interested Tony so much when he went to see Ronnie live in Birmingham. Tony said he sounded brilliant. His voice sounded amazing on the new songs we recorded.

Jeb: There is something magical about Sabbath – no matter what era it is. When you all are on, it is amazing. Nobody sounds like Sabbath.

Geezer: I think that is the beauty of the whole thing. We have never put out an album for the sake of it or for the money. We only put albums out that we generally like. We don’t follow any trends and I think that is why the music still stands up. We have never been trendy.

Jeb: Why did Dio and Sabbath split up the first time? Was it alcohol and drug related?

Geezer: I had cleaned up by then as I had my first child. I never did drugs after I had my first child. It was just personalities. It was basically everybody was just not getting along. Bill left halfway through the Heaven and Hell tour – that didn’t help things. It went downhill from there.

Jeb: Sabbath went through some dark times in the 80's. You went between Sabbath and Ozzy’s band. It seemed you didn’t know where you fit in.

Geezer: Tony carried on the name but that is all it was. I really couldn’t relate to that Sabbath whatsoever. Ozzy and I have always been friends so I really just did all of the Ozzy stuff out of friendship. The reunion shows really brought it back together. I think we have stayed together this time because we are older and we still enjoy playing that music. I just take things one thing at a time. Usually when you make plans to do this or to do that then something happens and it all falls apart and you look like an idiot. It makes it easier.

Jeb: A lot of casual fans of Black Sabbath think that Ozzy wrote a lot of the lyrics. Does it bother you that you do not get the glory that is coming to you?

Geezer: The people who really know the band know that I wrote most of the lyrics. Plus, it is just one of those things that people think. I always expect that the singer in a band wrote all of the lyrics. It is unusual for another member of the band to write the lyrics of the songs. It is understandable that people think Ozzy wrote all the lyrics.

Jeb: Looking back with hindsight, how proud are you of the lyrics you wrote?

Geezer: Looking back now it is great because the music stands up and the lyrics stand up – unfortunately. All of the horrible things I wrote about then are still with us.

Jeb: Last one: Rumor has it that Megadeth is the opening band for the whole tour. Is that true?

Geezer: They will open for us for the Canadian dates but I think that is it. We are still deciding which way to go with the rest of the tour. Originally it was going to be Canada and then a one-off in New York and then we were going to head to South America and Japan. We might be going to Japan now, I am not sure. We are going to do as many dates as we can in ten months.

Jeb: And not all on the same tour bus. That has to be a relief.

Geezer: If we were all on the same bus then it would only be a two-month tour.

Back