Heard the album... [Thread contains spoilers]

Dr. G said:
Are all the songs on this album panned the same standard way:  Dave left, Adrian centre, Janick right?  If so, this would mean that Janick plays the first guitar on Longest Day, beginning of 1000 Suns, and that awesome riff in Lord of Light (1:35 in)?!  The Lord of Light riff especially doesn't sound like Jan, but Adrian (plus he wrote the song).  So perhaps we won't be able to tell who plays what based on panning alone.  Wish they release a DVD-Audio version later... 

I noticed the same thing. Sometimes guitars are switched indeed.
Check also the (alone)riff of the last song which starts in the middle audio-channel. It's Janick :)

maybe they finally put adrian where he belongs, in the right channel :)

edit: hi i'm new here, been listening to maiden since 99

the thing that annoys me the most about this album is in the intro to 1000suns - bruce's vox are not alligned properly with the backing track, they come in late... basic protools editing error from mr shirley :down:

as for my opinion on the album... at first, i pretty much agreed with EricT.. it's grown on me after a few listens, but it's still a pity they've done the album on autopilot basically.
the song i can't get myself to like is these colors don't run, the only thing worth a damn in this song is the middle section

Forostar said:
I noticed the same thing. Sometimes guitars are switched indeed.
Check also the (alone)riff of the last song which starts in the middle audio-channel. It's Janick :)

I think for the most part the Dave - Adrian - Janick panning is kept, but for some songs it's all over the place (same with Face in the Sand).  Janick definitely plays the majority if not all the acoustic parts on Legacy, with guitar overdubs.

What can is say? Great album! Although i think it is a bit too much prog. and i dont know if this is producers fault but i think that bruce is not heard as he should be in some places.

Different World - Great opener, it just hits you in the beginning, really nice song. 10/10

These Colours Dont Run - Great song, i my oppinion the best on this album, cool riffs, great melodics, and i can stop listening to it  ;) 10/10

Brighter Than The Thousands Suns - I dont know why but i just cant relate myself to that song, it doesnt feel right! The main melody is awkward in my oppinion and as someone mentioned it before it just doesnt fit with the vocals in this song as if they arent in the same song...it has some cool riffs inthere so 7/10

The Pilgrim - As i can see most people dont like this song, but i like it very much, it is just catchy  -_- It just brings something to this album that i think it is still missing...fast songs, a bit more tempo. 9/10

The Longest Day - When i was first listening it first i dindt really get in the song, but as i listened it a couple of times more i started to love it...Great melodics, nice and meaningful changes of pace...It is a great song but i wouldnt call it an epic (i miss a true epic on this album), it is no Paschandale, Clansman or  Sign of The Cross, but still a great song 9.5/10

Out of the Shadows - I cant get the impresion of Infinite Dreams from this one, although it eventualy has a bit more dinamics...i like the acustic involvment. nice song but i cant say it attracted me very much, to make me listen to it again and again like some others did 8/10

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - What can i say about this one? I wouldnt put it as a single if it were up to me, its just too long for its content, and and there is no "surprise" in this song, allthough some riffs are really good, classic maiden style...I can see it alongside with Alexander the great, it's a tale about a man, although their stories are different...i love the style of the vocals, reminds me of Hellowed be thy name, and i would put this as a great plus on this song 8.5/10

The Greater Good Of God - What i like about this song is changes in the pace that make sence, and great melody. What i really dislike about this song is that lyrics repeat alot, but melodicaly great song 9/10

Lord Of Light - I dont like the vocal intro in this one...its just mellow, although they probably wanted it like that, but i just cant connect with it...but when they get down to buisness its a nice song...again maybe too long for its content 8/10

The Legacy - It is a great song, but i just cant get away the feeling from the Lord of Light and their mellow vocals in the intro. Again i like the mix of acoustic and electric guitar. Great melodics, great album finish, but Hallowed Be Thy Name kicks its ass  :wacko: still 9.5/10

Summary:
Great album, that could compeat with the old ones but would loose  :wacko:...It's still a bit weaker than Brave New World (best of the new albums in my oppinion), but i would put it right behind it. I just miss a true epic
song in this album, otherwise is nice rounded up. i really love the cover and the style of the album... Again a great job.

Irons up!!!

Yes I have heard the album also.
I´m not a review kind of person so I´ll make this short.

My favorits:

Lord of light (the second verse is just beautiful)
The longest day
For the grater good of god
And Breeg

Lowpoints:
The legasy
The Pilgrim

Opinions might change in the future though. -_-

I've got a little question here... I can't stop thinking about that riff in "The Legacy"... After a few acoustic trys they play it fully for the first time at about 2:15 in the song.

It seems to remind me of something. Another song, maybe a movie or something like that... But I can't seem to put my finger on it...

(excuse me for any grammar-mistakes, I'm Dutch ;) )

I feel so dirty... I downloaded the album.  I guess it's OK since I preordered though, I have already paid for the album, it's out in Europe now, so I went ahead and downloaded.  Can't wait for my version with the DVD and T-Shirt though.

For The Greater Good Of God is easily my favorite tune of this album right now.  I hope they do this number live, as there's numerous areas in there for some crowd participation.  Different Worlds is a nice opener too, plenty better than Wildest Dreams from the last album. 

I'm really starting to think that FTGGOG is going to be this albums "Paschendale", just one of those songs that gets up, slaps you in the face and says you WILL listen!

Oh yea, til I get the actual album, I'm listening to this album ONLY on my Dell Axim.  Crappy audio quality, just waiting for the real CD to get here, than hit hits the PA system  :wacko:

After a couple of complete listenings, I've started to form an opinion on this album.

WOW!

It's probably the album that will get Maiden a host of new fans, since i think you really need to sit down and listen to the songs, the nuances and different riffs and all that. The lyrics (what I can hear so far ^_^) are pretty deep and meaningful and some of the songs really blows my mind. I think this album is one of those that you'll still love 20 years from now, just like Powerslave and Piece of mind. To be able to do this after 30 years! Power to the boys :ok:
There is not one bad song, IMHO, or even weak. It's just that some of the songs are so damn strong the ones that are just really damn good almost disappears from memory after a while. But, as I said, the more I hear it the better it gets. It's soon going to be an 11 out of 10 :D

The Legacy is absolutely beautiful in the acoustic parts, and then whammo! it hits you where it hurts :D Brilliant! One of their best ever. I didn't know Jannick had it in him :yey:
For the Greater Good... is a great song, but I need to listen to it a lot more before I can say that it's the best of the album.
Out of the shadows is another song that surprises me. A bit on the mellow side in this company, but it's great!
I still love Brighter than..., I think it's one of the top 10 songs ever. Benjy Breeg is is really good, and the riff is so heavy it's amazing. Even Different world is growing on me - at first I didn't like the pop-ish chorus, but it fits the song and I agree, it's a great album opener. Now I can only wait for the album to drop in my mailbox (2-3 days from now) so that I can look into the lyrics. That's all that's missing.

What can I say? Thank you 'arry, H, Dave, Jan, Nicko and Bruce. You've done it again!

I just bought the album on last friday - and all I have to say is:

I LOVE IT

another great piece of music all in all. cant wait to here songs being played live on the next tour !!!  -_-

Got it this morning. Freaking brilliant album. Their best yet.

Different World - Simple but excellent song. The chorus blows me away every time.
These Colours Don't Run - Excellent vocal performance by The Air Raid Siren. Brilliant chorus.
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - Brilliant riff. Good lyrics.
The Pilgrim - The weakest song on the album in my opinion, though still a great track.
The Longest Day - Excellent song. Brilliant Lyrics.
Out Of The Shadows - Very laid back track and nice guitar work.
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - Creepy, but effective intro and outro. A spine-tingling track. Great solo.
For The Greater Good Of God -  An unbelievable track. Brilliant vocal and bass work.
Lord Of Light - Masterpiece. Great intro. Great vocals.
The Legacy - My favourite song on the album. Janick's best song by a mile. Excellent instrumental bit. Eerie intro and lyrics.

RudeZ said:
I've got a little question here... I can't stop thinking about that riff in "The Legacy"... After a few acoustic trys they play it fully for the first time at about 2:15 in the song.

It seems to remind me of something. Another song, maybe a movie or something like that... But I can't seem to put my finger on it...

(excuse me for any grammar-mistakes, I'm Dutch ;) )

Please, I really need to know this! It's knibbling my guts inside! :D

Well, I'm not going to pass judgment until I've listened to the album a 'few' more times, but so far, I like what I'm hearing.  It's different from anything else they've done before..it's probably their heaviest album to date (apart from, perhaps, The X Factor, but then, you can't really be heavy when your guitars sound like they're being played underwater :p)..it's also, despite what some people are saying, very proggy...not Dream Theater/Opeth proggy (which is generally pretentious and overextended), but a very concise proggy...what you would expect of Maiden.  So far, my favourite track has to be 'Brighter Than a Thousand Suns', but 'The Longest Day' is quickly catching up, especially with the drums behind the line 'The world's alight, the cliffs erupt in flame'; it just sends a shiver down my spine... ;)

Why this album beats both Brave New World and Dance of Death? We're talking about their most consistent album since... 1988.

This album has no fillers nor bad songs. Out of the 10 songs I'd name 2 songs that aren't as good as the others.

"The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" is one of those.
"The Legacy" definitely needs more listens, it's very un-Maidenish, quite experimental.

I found myself listening to these two songs the least.

Oh and does anyone find the guitar work in "The Pilgrim" chorus a bit awkward? Nice song though.

Re: Heard the album...

EricT said:
Very disapointing imo. None of the songs have anything catchy even after multiple listens. I can't remember a single one except some part of Colours don't run. Also, I hate the part where they yell 'god!' in The Greater Good of God.

Most of the songs, except for The Legacy and Brighter Than a Thousand Suns don't have that little special taste of their own, especially vs songs like Paschendale and Dance of Death. And no song is as hard, fast and cool as Montsegur

I didn't mind it being "progressive" since I liked Rainmaker alot. But nothing stands out and makes me wan't to listen to it again. I didnt find the songs bad (except for Benjamin Breeg), but none of them have that special thing

At least Different World isnt as bad as Wildest dreams...but far from The Wickerman

Well then atleast the album cover is cool....unlike it's name..

Agreed. I was realy lking forward to hearing "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" - it was toted by some revewers as being the heaviest Maiden track ever. Hmmm?! I think "Wildest Dreams" is better than "Different Worlds" really, but I just listened to "The Wicker Man" at Rio and it is a stunning opening track compared to either of these. I'm beginning to think the opening track is becoming a filler for the sake of a quick single release at some point.

If anything I think Benjamin Breeg is the best song on there. Really good heavy riff when it starts properly and nice melody to the vocals. Only my opinion tho....

As for the whole package, I don't know. I just don't....
Like you say, nothing on there to make me want to listen to it again.
It may grow on me like Dance Of Death, which gave me the same feelings initially.

Just listened to it again - against all odds reading the other posts I think The Pilgrim is the best track (in my opinion), but then I am getting old and grumpy and maybe I'm losing it!! Then I think Breeg, and The Legacy.

Wheeler said:
Contrary to other reviews, the album isn't very heavy (there’s nothing to compare with Montsegur) and the production isn't great; Bruce's vocal struggles against the instruments at times.

Again I agree. I can barely make out the words in places because the vocals appear to be muffled by the instruments.
Weird....

Wrath of Breeg said:
Are there some of you who don't think highly of BNW?  If so why not?  :huh:

Dunno.....
I think it's excellent, really really good.

AceOfSpades said:
For The Greater Good of God: ...but I would say that's better than To Tame A Land or Alexander The Great....

No way on this earth!! Alexander is the most underrated track they ever did. To Tame A Land is also a classic.

Seeing as I'm being so grumpy about this today I thought I'd listen to some Brucey instead and come back to the album later.
Just heard "Abduction" - this the kind of opening track that would get me going. "Different Worlds" just doesn't compare I'm afraid.

I've also noticed something else about the new album. Bruce's vocals in quite a few places are very high - this is really going to test his voice over a tour if they play some of these live. Which is why I think they won't be, and that gets rid of some of the better songs on the album (according to the general feeling of the posts). Told you I was grumpy today.....

I agree with you nobleguy.  I also wonder how Dickinson will sing these songs during the tour.  But I think they will play them.  Can't imagine the show without Brighter or Breeg,  and besides,  rumour has it they'll play the whole album live.  As for my thoughts on the album,  I won't express them just yet,  it hasn't sunk in yet.  Generally I find it a good album,  but the best one?  Not so sure yet.  I definetly is an album that requieres a lot of listens.

First off, Hi everyone Im new, used to be on the old maiden BB.

I got the album yesterday and the first thing I thought of it was that it was VERY X-Factor ish. I could totally imagine Blaze singing the songs. The intros also reminded me of the X-factor.
Stand out songs for me are Different Worlds, These Colours Don't Run and The Longest Day. really looking forward to hearing these songs live.

I don't think that the album is instantly accessible like DOD or BNW but the more I listen to it and get familiar with the songs, the more certain parts musically and lyrically stand out and I appreciate it more (also like The X-Factor!)

Is it better than DOD? To be honest I'm not sure, the songs do have a very samey feel to them and I miss the grandeur story telling of DOD (the song)

Definately not a bad album in any way at all, just not as accessible, which isn't a bad thing. In a month it could easily be my favourite!

Back