Happy Birthday!

I know, Epica isn't THAT much better hehe, plus I also only have one album of theirs. I was planing on getting Oceanborn and I think the other one is Century's Child or something like that. As for Dark Tranquility (I usually reserve "DT" for Dream Theater hehe) I'm definately getting the rest of their stuff once I get some money, because honestly I shouldn't have bought these to begin with given all the bills i have to pay haha

Albie said:
I have to say that what swung it for me as far as DT is concerned, was Damage Done (which I love) and I have yet to venture further into other DT releases. If you say their other stuff is less aggressive, should I be disappointed in The Gallery?

When I say less agressive, I really mean vocally.  Stanne's vocals on Damage Done are very aggressive.  Their other stuff...he's more diverse in his emotions.  Believe me, you will not be dissapointed in The Gallery if you get it.  The first song is entitled 'Punish My Heaven'.  Apart from having a KICK-ASS opening, it is 4 minutes long.  I used to believe (before I checked the time) that it was 6/7 minutes.  It is that complicated.  It has about 4 main riffs!  Gah, I'm ranting again.... :rolleyes:

But, yeah...Dark Tranquillity are good.  Try and get The Gallery, or Character (their latest).  Haven is good and commercial, too (easy to get into), while Projector is pretty experimental.  Skydancer (their first LP) is raw as hell for Melodic Death, and a bit aimless.  I haven't heard Mind's I, but what I have heard is good.

As for NW, Onhell, Century Child is a good album, but you may not like it if you hated Once.  Personally I love Once, even if it isn't particularly heavy (I do despise the overloud guitars, though)...but each to his own.

EDIT: And if you hate cheesy lyrics, then you will love Ocenaborn.  It's easily their best album lyrically, drawing from various themes, such as Christianity, Astromony, Egyptian mythology etc. etc.
Here's some links if you want to watch material from it:
Sleeping Sun, a ballad written for the '99 Eclipse
Pharoah Sails to Orion
When watching the latter, please bear in mind that Tarja's voice is pretty poor in most live recordings.  The dude growling is Tapio Wilska, ex-Finntroll.  Which is a pity, because it means they can only play this song live if he's there...also, the main keyboard riff Tuomas uses is different from the studio one...in the studio, it's done much more precise and a bit faster, especially on the arpeggios.  And as for the lyrics...
"Get away from me!
Take heed to thyself and see my face no more!
for in the day Thou see my face
Thou shalt die!"
- Exodus 10:28

A constellation of divine architecture built on Earth
A holy harbour - Orion
Nautical ascension to the firmament

Ship-shaped barrows open my heart to the wisdom of this land
Sailing with the Serpent Chimera of a fiendish sandman

The Unicorn arrives with the westwind to dream His funeral
"Thou art born for Horus dwells in Thee"

Slumbering with the ebb and the flow of this foaming tomb
"Thou art born for Seteh dwells in Thee"

Reveal your face to me and guide me through the Stygian fields
Enthral my soul to Sepedet's beams to serve Your will

Sailing on the distant seas from darkness to deliverance
Tales like the ocean written to the Draco's glance

Ruling with the scythe of death you tear our philosophies apart
An ancient starwalk to merge into the stars

"Open thy veins for my venom
Kiss the cobras with thy twisted tongue
So shalt thou join the empyrean circus
Where beggars mourn and seraphs dance
In this twilight cathedral
Shall I wed thee,
O Bride of the Netherworld"

Sailing on the distant seas...

Join my soul the Hunter in the sky

And for Albie, here is the opening track from DT's latest effort, Character.

Is Character the album with all clean vocals?  And yeah, I might of gotten into Once if I had given it like.. 6 months, but I disliked it so much I just said screw it and traded it in lol.

Silky said:
And for Albie, here is the opening track from DT's latest effort, Character.
Right, I had a listen. I have to admit it does sound really good., but it reminds me a lot of "Final Resistance" from "Damage Done", especially in the chorus. Still, it has my interest and I shall venture further.

Onhell said:
Is Character the album with all clean vocals?  And yeah, I might of gotten into Once if I had given it like.. 6 months, but I disliked it so much I just said screw it and traded it in lol.

No, that's Projector, their 4th album.  Character is their latest effort, and it is bloody good, and very varied.  Well, as long as you traded Once for something better...it isn't their best by far -_-

Albie said:
Right, I had a listen. I have to admit it does sound really good., but it reminds me a lot of "Final Resistance" from "Damage Done", especially in the chorus. Still, it has my interest and I shall venture further.

This tracks probably quite like Final Resistance because Damage Done was the album released before Character.  Damage Done, to me, is the same song done in 12 slightly different, yet very good, ways.  Character is more varied.  Apart from that track, the rest of the album is very much different from Damage Done; heavy use of electronics, often weird time signatures and the last track is pretty good...an acoustic intro that roxxx my soxx :D

Silky said:
Damage Done, to me, is the same song done in 12 slightly different, yet very good, ways.
I know what you mean here, but it does not take away my enjoyment of it. Great album, IMO. I shall indeed check out Character.

Albie said:
I know what you mean here, but it does not take away my enjoyment of it. Great album, IMO. I shall indeed check out Character.

Check out any of their other albums, but Character is probably the most similar one to Damage Done.  Haven got me into them, and I love The Gallery.  It's really up to you*

*<subliminal message>Buy the Gallery</subliminal message>

Albie said:
OK, OK. I'll buy The frigging Gallery. :D

:D
Seriously, any of them is good.  Just don't approach them like a 9 year old kid thinking 'OMG he sed it was gd so it HaS to b3 teh best album evahh!!!!'. That's how you get people writing reviews like this... ;)

Silky said:
  That's how you get people writing reviews like this... ;)

FINALLY a brave soul steps out and speaks the TRUTH!!!  I don't need to add a spoiler tag for people to know that i'm being sarcastic... I just tell you... i'm being sarcastic.

Back