Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday!  :hbd: :okok:

heavy_birthday_front.jpg

Happy Birthday to the nice man with a great sense of humour (at times ;))! Take your time and have fun Onhell -_-

Thanks guys! So far I've been "working", But I'll likely at least have a few drinks afterwards.

How on earth did I miss this?
Happy birthday, you crazy person! :hbd:

Thanks Perun!

Anywho, today I bought myself some B-day presents: Nightwish's Wishmaster, Audioslave and Dark Tranquility's Damage Done.

I bought Nightwish's Once long ago (like a year) and hated it, musically and lyrically. But today for some odd reason I saw something about them online and then looked up some videos on youtube and I liked their Phantom of the Opera cover so much I decided to give their back catalogue (Once is their latest and lamest) a try. While nothing mindblowing it is much better than Once and I will probably get their earlier stuff, but the lyrics still bother me.... WAY too cheesey, even for me, "chick metal" almost... good lord. Epica is a step up, not much, but up none the less.

Now Dark Tranquility.. OMG, GOOD stuff, I've been told for years to get some of their stuff and well, I finally did and am VERY glad. Iwas simply surprised all around. I kinda knew what to expect since they've been compared to In Flames but this, I think, Is better than In Flames, not by much though. Maybe after more listens I'll change my mind but after one spin that's my verdict.

I haven't heard the audioslave cd and actually i'm in no hurry, I got it because it was 9 dollars, they're decent and I have little U.S metal/hard rock. So for the sake of diversafying and trying something out of the norm (for me) I got it.

Onhell said:
Now Dark Tranquility.. OMG, GOOD stuff, I've been told for years to get some of their stuff and well, I finally did and am VERY glad. Iwas simply surprised all around. I kinda knew what to expect since they've been compared to In Flames but this, I think, Is better than In Flames, not by much though. Maybe after more listens I'll change my mind but after one spin that's my verdict.
That's the only Dark tranquillity album I have (Damage Done) and I have to say it is good.

Happy Birthday Onhell!
Sorry I'm a few days late - I've been working 16 hours a day at my new job and only get here every few days now.
Hope you had a fun 23rd!

Onhell said:
I bought Nightwish's Once long ago (like a year) and hated it, musically and lyrically. But today for some odd reason I saw something about them online and then looked up some videos on youtube and I liked their Phantom of the Opera cover
Nightwish never covered PotO, they did a song that coincidentally had the same name ;)

EDIT: Oh shit, I wqas thinking of the Iron Maiden version, not the Andrew Lloyd Webber one. :-[

Conor said:
EDIT: Oh shit, I wqas thinking of the Iron Maiden version, not the Andrew Lloyd Webber one. :-[
Schoolboy errors can happen to the best of us, Conor. ;)

At first I thought it was an original work based on the play just like Maiden's or Iced Earth's, but the cover of Weber's is awesome. Well I like it.

Onhell said:
I bought Nightwish's Once long ago (like a year) and hated it, musically and lyrically. But today for some odd reason I saw something about them online and then looked up some videos on youtube and I liked their Phantom of the Opera cover so much I decided to give their back catalogue (Once is their latest and lamest) a try. While nothing mindblowing it is much better than Once and I will probably get their earlier stuff, but the lyrics still bother me.... WAY too cheesey, even for me, "chick metal" almost... good lord. Epica is a step up, not much, but up none the less.

You should get Oceanborn.  The lyrics are better (except for the cringingly cheesy 'Swanheart'), and the music is brilliant, even better than Wishmaster.  Hmm, comparing them too Epica..Mark and Simone can write some pretty awful lyrics, as well!

As for DT, yes, they are damn good.  Damage Done is probably their most aggressive work, but if you want to look into their back catalogue some more, get The Gallery.  I will not say anything about it, but you will not look back, trust me.

Silky said:
As for DT, yes, they are damn good.  Damage Done is probably their most aggressive work, but if you want to look into their back catalogue some more, get The Gallery.  I will not say anything about it, but you will not look back, trust me.
I have to say that what swung it for me as far as DT is concerned, was Damage Done (which I love) and I have yet to venture further into other DT releases. If you say their other stuff is less aggressive, should I be disappointed in The Gallery?

Back