Hallowed Be Thy Name

How good is Hallowed Be Thy Name on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I am doubting between a 10 and a 9. I tend to do 10 but I still have a bit of criticism.

This song is my favourite song of NOTB. I do not list it in my own top 10 of Maiden songs because I find it -apart from the vocals- worse than most live versions. It's kinda slow, and the intro seems unnaturally faster. I am not much over the moon with Adrian's leadwork on NOTB and his delivery on Hallowed I find no exception. Nonetheless this song features Bruce's best singing (this is why I'm doubting about the grade), some great guitar harmonies, with a strong rhythm underneath.

I think I'll do a nine, but I rather give a 9,4 or something.

Unfortunately, that's not possible, but with you, I never doubt that your reasoning works for you.  :ninja:

10.  Out of the most emotional songs Maiden has ever done, and that's largely due to Bruce's performance.  Love the way the guitars escalate.

Re: Daily Song: Hallowed Be Thy Name

I really don't see how a different rate than 10 could be possible, this song rocks every single time I'm listening to it.

SinisterMinisterX said:
10/10. How could it possibly be anything else?

Let's take a look at the historical perspective. In rock and popular music, it usually takes about 10 to 15 years for a new genre to fully emerge and mature. Consider these examples:

1. Rock and roll. By which I mean the original rock and roll, which eventually developed into mainstream rock music. Summer 1955: "Rock Around The Clock" is the first rock and roll #1 single. Within a year, Elvis has broken big and rock and roll is the new style. But rock didn't fully mature until the psychedelic revolution of the late 1960s. That long experimental period was needed to explore the sonic possibilities of rock.

2. Rap. Started in the mid-70s in the Bronx. Reached the mainstream with Run-DMC in 1985 (only a few sporadic hits before that). But rap's formative period - that time usually called "old school" - didn't really end until the late 80s, when Public Enemy and NWA changed the game completely.

Now, what about metal? The starting point is always an argument starter, but we can agree on this much: it started no later than Feb 13, 1970 - the day Black Sabbath was released. And we can see the same pattern: for about a decade, a few giants lead the way. Then a time of fertile experimentation begins; in metal, we call it NWOBHM. That's when metal came of age, and the mature genre emerged.

So the NWOBHM was the most critically important time in metal's history. Maiden was the 800-lb gorilla in that room. And Maiden first completely found their classic sound on TNOTB - nowhere more completely than Hallowed.

In other words: there is no single song that defines Heavy Metal better than Hallowed.
You might get a more complete definition with more songs - but Hallowed is always at the top of the list.

All you folks saying "we don't need to explain why Hallowed is great, we all know" ... We aren't always posting just for ourselves, ya know.

When I was a kid, I heard everyone talk about Stairway To Heaven and how it was so great. Not why - just that it was. Didn't understand a thing till I was old enough to start buying Zep albums.

Somewhere out there, there might be some 12-year-old kid, just getting into metal, having no idea. Sometimes, you gotta post for the next generation. :bigsmile:

Excellent post there!! Thy progressively conclusion to the point (10/10) is a state of art, while the epilogue, well a classic ol'good SMX  :ok:

As noted above, I couldn't say it better than SMX, for the moment  :devil2:. I might add an extensive commentary when I find the time, but as for now; 10/10

The commentary is at least as important as the grade. You could also do both at the same time, and take more time for it.  :)

10/10 without question. Possibly the greatest song in the entire metal genre. Why it is so great has already been written in reams before me though.

My second favorite Maiden song, truly a classic. If someone ask me "What is the best Heavy Metal song ?" it will be my second choice behind my all-time favorite RotAM.

10/10

10 out of 10... Arguably Maiden's finest effort, this song transports the listener into the world of the story being told. The condemned man's thoughts become the listener's, and the intensity of the emotions aroused are those of a man struggling with his belief system when faced with ceasing to be. By the time the tune comes to the bridge before the solos, I'm usually hovering three inches off the ground, having lost my mind in the scorching, headbanging ecstasy that the band has created in this masterpiece. Superlatives fail me...

Best song ever in music. Epitome of heavy metal. 10/10.

P.S. Beast Over Hammersmith version is the best.

I am not on the "Greatest Metal song" bandwagon with this one but it is still a great tune. Bruce really stands out on this one. 8/10

I'm giving this song 10, but sorry guys, it's not my favorite song from NOTB (that award goes to Children of the Damned). :eek:

The Knife Master said:
I am not on the "Greatest Metal song" bandwagon with this one but it is still a great tune. Bruce really stands out on this one. 8/10
:(

I AM on the greatest metal song ever bandwagon. Yet, paradoxically, it might not even be my fav Maiden song. Once this paradox resolves itself, I'll let you know. But a perfect song, in every sense of the word.

Chartwell said:
I AM on the greatest metal song ever bandwagon. Yet, paradoxically, it might not even be my fav Maiden song. Once this paradox resolves itself, I'll let you know. But a perfect song, in every sense of the word.
  yhep 10/10  this paradox is spreading. while its probably THE metal song and symbolic... maiden have done better  :lol:

Words can't describe the greatness of this song.It's not just about Maiden.This is my favourite piece of music ever. 10/10

Back