Guitars

Yax

Ancient Mariner
For about 10 months ago, I decided to play guitar. So I bought a cheap imitation of a Fender Stratocaster. Now it's time for a new one and I'd like a few suggestions of which guitar I should buy, since I don't know very much about them. I have enough money to buy a guitar for about 600 dollars, so a few suggestion in that priceclass would be nice.

Cheers [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Actually, I do have an instructor, and I do learn by myself too. I use guitarpro and I buy tabbooks, and plays by using them, so as a matter of fact it's both.

I agree with Fuzzboy, but I also recommend a Squier Fender Strat and a Gibson SG. Also, don't be fooled by looks. For example, B.C. Rich guitars look totally awesome, but don't sound too good.

BC Rich has got quite good sound imo, but the looks are really not my style. I've got a Warlock, and I'm impressed with the quality of the microphones, considering I paid about $150 for it. (edit: Way better than you would get from buying an Epiphone or Squire.)

If guitar prices are the same in Sweden as in Norway, then the best you can get for $600 is a Fender Strat made in Mexico or Japan.

I would advice you to stay away from Squire and Epiphone. Don't know why CotG recommends one of those to you.

I didn't recommend Epiphone, and I think Squier Strats sound almost as good as normal Fender. The only difference is that the last hambucker on Squier is different, giving it a little bit of a heavier sound than normal Fender. I guess we just have a difference of opinion.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I actually prefer my Squier over my normal Fender.

EDIT 2: Especially when used with a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.

Thank's everyone. I think I'll buy a Fender Mexico strat. And I have one more question.
Is there any differences of quality between U.S.A. strats and Mexico strats, or is it just the label and the price?

I'm not sure, I know that my Fender is made in mexico, but I dont think it could be much different than an American one.

P.S: I recommend a maple neck.

Edit: And try to stay away from Squire, and Epiphone. Dont let the prices seduce you. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The difference is quality control. The more expensive American Strats have more time and care taken into their construction.

You might get fret buzz on the non-American ones for example, which would make chords sound bad. All Strats have bolt on necks, but an American Strat has better sustain than a Mexican(which is basically just pluck one string and see how long it sustains the note before it goes dead(try it with an amp)).

Yax, how much did you pay for your Fender knockoff?

My first guitar was a $400 kit, then I eventually bought a $1800 Jackson Rhoads. The biggest differences I noticed was the clarity coming through the amp, and the smooth low action(which can be ajusted anyway). [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Of course, we're not rockstars so we don't need totally custom guitars.

[!--quoteo(post=135717:date=Apr 27 2006, 08:26 PM:name=TheWickedChild)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheWickedChild @ Apr 27 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]135717[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Yax, how much did you pay for your Fender knockoff?
[/quote]

Actually, I bought it from a friend for 1000 Swedish kronor, and that's about 140 U.S. dollars.

Oh, well thats pretty cheap. I guess a $600 guitar would be a step up then. I just figure if you know you're serious about playing guitar, might as well get yourself a mid range one instead of graduating guitars several times.

I agree looks aren't everything, but it gives incentive to play your instrument if you like the way it looks and the way it looks on you.

Two of my favourite instrument sites...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/
http://www.harmony-central.com/

[!--quoteo(post=135755:date=Apr 28 2006, 09:12 AM:name=TheWickedChild)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheWickedChild @ Apr 28 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]135755[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I just figure if you know you're serious about playing guitar, might as well get yourself a mid range one instead of graduating guitars several times.
[/quote]

Well, the problem is that I'm only about 16 years old, and I don't have the kind of money to buy a U.S. Stratocaster or something similar. But anyway, thank you very much. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Well, since this topic seems to have gotten the attention of quite a few people, I'd like to ask the recommendation of anyone who cares to read this.

I'm 16, in case you hadn't guessed, and my GCSEs (pretty important exams) are coming up soon.  I half-hinted to my dear mater that I would REALLY like a guitar sometime in the future, so I was hoping to save up what little money I have and try and get her to buy me one over the summer.  I would like to buy an electric, and I'll probably be getting lessons on it in my school.  I also want to be able to play with my friend at his house, so the conditions are:
  • Something cheap: under £200, and preferably under £150.  I don't know how many dollars that is; roughly $360, i think
  • Something that will be easy to pick up the basics on; I have 8 years piano playing behind me, and am Grade 7 out of 8 on that, so I have some theory and musical ability.
  • Something that doesn't look too flashy-I've been recommended the Kerry King Warlock, but I think it's bad taste and highly pretentious to get something that flashy for a first guitar.  I'd like it relatively simple, but still aesthetically pleasing
  • Finally, I would like to get a pack, with an amp, bag, strap as a minimum and preferably spare strings, plecs etc. etc.

Now, I don't mind buying one off the net, but I would prefer to be able to walk out of the store with one.  Looking at the websites of my local music store, I found the Squier Special Pack (3 from the bottom).  It's just about my price range, and I can get a bag and strings separately (they're not too expensive).  It looks good to me (aesthetically), but I would like your advice before I buy it.  I don't know anything about the technical info, so if anyone can give their opinion on it that would help.  If it's a pile of crap, and you know of anything better for my purposes, please reply or PM me.
Thanks for reading this,
Silky

I too have the Squier Pack, but it came with extra strings and a carrying bag. It was around $500, but I think it was worth it. I think Squier sounds great, but many people tend to disagree with me. There are better guitars out there, but for a beginner it's a great deal.

I have an epiphone les paul jr, a epiphone eb0 bass and a harmony electric.

Okay, I've been looking around, and I think I'll be getting a new electric sometime in the next week or so (which is good news, as my fingers are dead from my friend's crappy acoustic with it's painfull fretboard).

I recently found This amazing deal online, and I will probably get it, unless anyone has any really strong objections to Ion guitars.  I just want to know one thing...what does the guitar feel and sound like, if anyone has played an Ion before?  I just want a guitar that has a nice, gentles feel, but I can thrash on if I so wish...nothing too flashy, as I said before, just something to learn on.  Thanks,
Silky.

P.S. Sorry for bumping this topic.

I have a Falcon strat. and it has worked fine for the 5 years I´ve owned it.
I´ve used it for gigs, recording sessions and so on.
I bought it together with a Marshall amplifier, the whole package costed me about 2500 Swedish krona.
The amp was total crap, but I could recommend the guitar for anyone who is learning guitar.

I have a guitarr question What kind of pickups are Jannick, Adrian, and Dave using?
And what kind of strings are they playing with?

henke said:
I have a guitarr question What kind of pickups are Jannick, Adrian, and Dave using?
And what kind of strings are they playing with?

I can answer that question partly. I know they use Earnie Ball strings. I can't be of any more help.

Back