I don't know how a 50-watt running at 5-watt would compare, but my old Blackstar was a 5-watter and that had plenty of volume. Could easily be used at home-friendly volumes but loud enough to get a nice tone. I even used it playing with bands and it still managed to cut through, though I'd recommend a higher-wattage amp for that purpose.

If it still is too loud, an attenuator is the solution. The JHS Pedals Little Black Box looks pretty good, is reasonably priced and is only the size of a mini effects pedal.
I have read about attenuators but I didn’t realise there was one so small and affordable. Any drawbacks to this?

I’m not sure what you mean by re-amping at the proper volume. How does the process of re-amping a DI track work?
This is just for recording.
You send the pure DI guitar signal from the computer to the amp and record it again.
Logic (or whatever) --> interface --> re-amp box --> amp --> mic --> interface --> Logic.

It sounds more difficult than it is. And you can even do it without a re-amp box -- although I recommend one, they're not very expensive, I have a yellow one by Palmer.

I have read about attenuators but I didn’t realise there was one so small and affordable. Any drawbacks to this?

In my experience, no. When I was looking into them I read some say that they can make your tone muddier, but I'm using the cheapest attenuator I could find (by Lazy Bear Effects - I'd recommend it, though I'm not sure what the shipping would be outside of the UK) and haven't had any issues with muddiness whatsoever.

In my experience, no. When I was looking into them I read some say that they can make your tone muddier, but I'm using the cheapest attenuator I could find (by Lazy Bear Effects - I'd recommend it, though I'm not sure what the shipping would be outside of the UK) and haven't had any issues with muddiness whatsoever.
Another possibility: get distortion from pedals, then a volume pedal or something like it as last pedal before amp, turn volume on pedal way down and turn the amp way up (don't touch the volume pedal).

Another possibility: get distortion from pedals, then a volume pedal or something like it as last pedal before amp, turn volume on pedal way down and turn the amp way up (don't touch the volume pedal).
And then your cat jumps on the volume pedal…:p

I am a bit worried about the 50 watts but it does have a selectable output of 5, 10 or 50 watts. I wonder if I could get nice sounds at home on the 5-watt mode. They say it’s still hella loud. As for levels, I’m going to be playing this amp on a separate floor so I don’t need to play at whisper level but there’s still people on the lower floors and I have to be considerate. Sucks that the Origin is out of stock in the physical store so I can’t go and try it.
The 20 watt version has output selections of 0.5, 3 and 20 watts. I’m leaning towards the bigger head, still, as it seems a reasonable long-term investment.
In my experience, all tube amps have been extremely loud when used without attenuation. My EVH 5150 LBX at 3.75W was just crazy. I mean - for me the usable range on the volume knob spanned like a millimeter. Even Marshall DSL1 was super loud. But maybe I'm too sensitive, because I prefer playing relatively quiet. I like "TV volume". I would recommend going for the 20 watt version. 50 is overkill in most scenarios IMO.

Ironically, my favourite low volume amp was Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII because it had great built-in attenuation. EVH 5150 50W combo was great at low volume too (again, built-in attenuation).

If you want to tame your tube amp AND record, perhaps it would be a good idea to invest in something like Two Notes Captor, which allows you to attenuate and record straight into your interface with cab sims.

Cab: Peavey 112-C (1x12” with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker)
If you're tight on the budget, you should take a look at Harley Benton G112 Vintage. Also with Celestion V30. I had it and it was pretty great for the price. Right now it's €147 at Thomann.

In my experience, all tube amps have been extremely loud when used without attenuation. My EVH 5150 LBX at 3.75W was just crazy. I mean - for me the usable range on the volume knob spanned like a millimeter. Even Marshall DSL1 was super loud. But maybe I'm too sensitive, because I prefer playing relatively quiet. I like "TV volume". I would recommend going for the 20 watt version. 50 is overkill in most scenarios IMO.

Ironically, my favourite low volume amp was Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII because it had great built-in attenuation. EVH 5150 50W combo was great at low volume too (again, built-in attenuation).

If you want to tame your tube amp AND record, perhaps it would be a good idea to invest in something like Two Notes Captor, which allows you to attenuate and record straight into your interface with cab sims.

If you're tight on the budget, you should take a look at Harley Benton G112 Vintage. Also with Celestion V30. I had it and it was pretty great for the price. Right now it's €147 at Thomann.
Okay, I think you convinced me to go for the 20H. It’ll save me a bit of money and probably will be enough for home and gigging situations.

As for the cab, I did notice the Harley Benton at that price but I read about larger cab sizes contributing to a greater sound, and the Peavey cab is considerably larger. In addition, the Peavey 112-C looks really pleasing so I’ll pay the extra 200€ for it.

Build quality on cabs is an interesting subject... When I gigged with my band I wanted an ENGL amp and cab. Thing is, the Marshall 412 1960 with greenbacks everyone is seemingly using is somewhere around 36 kg. It's sturdy as hell! Matching ENGL cab was 50 kg. Steel grill in front of the speakers and much thicker wood but otherwise very similar. After carrying a Marshall cab up two floors from a basement parking garage I never looked at the ENGL cab again...

When it comes to empower your devices, it's most important never to connect analogue effects together with digital effects combined to one and the same power output. Digital devices only to their own outs, analogue devices only to their own outs.
Thank you for the awesome guide! The part about analogue and digital effects’ power outputs confuses me. What does this mean in practice? I can still use a single power supply for both types of effects, right?

Thank you for the awesome guide! The part about analogue and digital effects’ power outputs confuses me. What does this mean in practice? I can still use a single power supply for both types of effects, right?
Yes. It's not labeld to be a "digital" or an "analogue" output. But once you decided to put a didital pedal to - lets say - power output #3, then this makes your power output #3 a digital output = you use it for digital guitar effects only, but not for analogue ones. The idea behind is: You can split one output with twin or triple cables, so you can empower two or three (or more) devices with one and the same output. But don't put analogue and digital devices to one and the same power output, that might cause issues. When a power output has 9 Volts and allows 400 mA, this means: you add the current draw of your devices all together and make sure they are in their entirety not using more than 400 mA.
I give you four examples, and you tell me if each would work or not. Power output #3 has 9 Volts, 400 mA.

a) anaologue Chorus/150 mA, analogue EQ/40 mA, Overdrive (analogue)/35 mA, analogue Delay 120 mA
b) digital Chorus/150 mA, digital Delay/160 mA, digital Tuner/60 mA
c) analogue Chorus/150 mA, Overdrive (analogue)/35 mA, digital Delay/160 mA, Harmonizer (digital)/230 mA
d) analogue Flanger/50 mA, analogue Chorus/150 mA, Overdrive 1 (analogue)/35 mA, Overdrive 2 (analogue)/70 mA, Overdrive 3 (analogue)/95 mA

Which will work, which? Please give the reason for your answer on each.

I will later give you an excercise. We'll have 20 effects pedals, one power station, I'll give you the technical specifications and you write me your theory on how to to connect them properly and correct. After our course you'll be well into it all and won't make any mistakes or even screw up your devices when you build and set up your pedalboard. :)

Last edited:
Yes. It's not labeld to be a "digital" or an "analogue" output. But once you decided to put a didital pedal to - lets say - power output #3, then this makes your power output #3 a digital output = you use it for digital guitar effects only, but not for analogue ones. The idea behind is: You can split one output with twin or triple cables, so you can empower two or three (or more) devices with one and the same output. But don't put analogue and digital devices to one and the same power output, that might cause issues. When a power output has 9 Volts and allows 400 mA, this means: you add the current draw of your devices all together and make sure they are in their entirety not using more than 400 mA.
I give you four examples, and you tell me if each would work or not. Power output #3 has 9 Volts, 400 mA.

a) anaologue Chorus/150 mA, analogue EQ/40 mA, Overdrive (analogue)/35 mA, analogue Delay 120 mA
b) digital Chorus/150 mA, digital Delay/160 mA, digital Tuner/60 mA
c) analogue Chorus/150 mA, Overdrive (analogue)/35 mA, digital Delay/160 mA, Harmonizer (digital)/230 mA
d) analogue Flanger/50 mA, analogue Chorus/150 mA, Overdrive 1 (analogue)/35 mA, Overdrive 2 (analogue)/70 mA, Overdrive 3 (analogue)/95 mA

Which will work, which? Please give the reason for your answer on each.

I will later give you an excercise. We'll have 20 effects pedals, one power station, I'll give you the technical specifications and you write me your theory on how to to connect them properly and correct. After our course you'll be well into it all and won't make any mistakes or even screw up your devices when you build and set up your pedalboard. :)
a) works because all are analogue and add up to less than 400 mA.
b) works because all are digital and add up to less than 400 mA.
c) doesn’t work because it mixes analogue and digital effects.
d) works because all are analogue and add up to exactly 400 mA.

@Saapanael : Exactly! :yes: I think you got it already. :) Not hard at all once you got the system behind it. If you want more practice before you start with your own gear, I give you another excercise. You don't HAVE to do it since we're not at school, but if you think it helps you just go for it and I'll check your answer later.
So, the following is a situation you will find very often in practical terms when it comes to empower a pedal board. The job is about to empower 22 devices, and the power station is the Cioks Ciokolate (the following gear is pretty much exactly what I use btw).
Now it's your task to give them an order and connect them to those 14 power outs just as listed below. All technical specification you need to know you will find listed below. Clue: There's not "the only one correct solution", you have various options, but be aware of the details... ;)
Take all the time you need, I'm off for today anyway. :)

EFFECTS PEDALS:

Chromatic Tuner
9V DC
70mA
digital

Guitar Synth
9V DC
115mA
digital

Reverb #1
9V DC
245mA
digital

Reverb #2
9V DC
30mA
digital

Harmonizer
9V DC
290mA
digital

Delay #1
9V DC
75mA
digital

Compressor #1
9V DC
15mA
analog

Compressor #2
9V DC
15mA
analog

Equalizer
9V DC
10mA
analog

Distortion
9V DC
10mA
analog

Overdrive #1
9V DC
15mA
analog

Overdrive #2
9V DC
10mA
analog

Overdrive #3
9V DC
10mA
analog

Uni Vibe
9V DC
30mA
analog

Flanger
18V DC
35mA
analog

Chorus #1
18V DC
30mA
analog

Auto Wah
9V DC
20mA
analog

Noise Gate
9V DC
40mA
analog

Buffer/Booster
9V DC
55mA
analog

Delay #2
9V DC
40mA
analog

Chorus #2
9V DC
65mA
analog

Cry Baby Wah
9V DC
15mA
analog

POWER STATION OUTPUTS:

OUTPUT1: 9V DC / 100 mA

OUTPUT2: 9V DC / 100 mA

OUTPUT3: 9V DC / 100 mA

OUTPUT4: 9V DC / 100 mA

OUTPUT5: 18V DC / 100 mA

OUTPUT6: 12V DC / 200 mA

OUTPUT7: 12V DC / 200 mA

OUTPUT8: 9V DC / 400 mA

OUTPUT9: 9V DC / 400 mA

OUTPUT10: 9V DC / 400 mA

OUTPUT11: 9V DC / 600 mA

OUTPUT12: 9V AC / 800 mA

OUTPUT13: 9V AC / 800 mA

OUTPUT14: 12V DC / 800 mA

A quick sound demo of my Marshall Origin 20.
Signal chain: Jackson Adrian Smith SDX -> MXR Super Badass Distortion -> MXR Carbon Copy analog delay -> amp
Master volume at about 2 and amp gain at 6. I'm looking forward to the day when I can really crank this thing.

A quick sound demo of my Marshall Origin 20.
Signal chain: Jackson Adrian Smith SDX -> MXR Super Badass Distortion -> MXR Carbon Copy analog delay -> amp
Master volume at about 2 and amp gain at 6. I'm looking forward to the day when I can really crank this thing.

Cool! How is it? Does this rig meet your expectations?

The MXR Super Badass is an AIB type of pedal and would be better suited to go straight into a clean channel. It's a Marshall Guv'nor clone I believe.

Old style distortion pedals like the Boss DS-1 / MXR Dist+ would preferably go on a channel just breaking up a bit... Otherwise, for boosting an already gainy amp --> OD pedal (TS9, SD-1 etc). The MXR Super Badass Modified OD is an SD-1, for example.

Cool! How is it? Does this rig meet your expectations?
Sorry for not answering sooner. I’m still figuring out this amp and expanding my rig so I’ll share my opinions once I have a more complete setup in my hands. I’ll just say I’m very satisfied in general although the Marshall Origin is quite a difficult amp to dial in.

I’m looking for a tuner pedal now and it’s a suprisingly complicated decision to make. The TC Polytune 3 has the option to choose between buffered and true bypass. The Boss TU-3 doesn’t have a true bypass option but it has two outputs which could be useful some day. TU-3 has a somewhat cluttered display design but is supposed to be bomb-proof, while the Polytune has a big clear display but looks a bit plastic to me. Anyone have opinions on tuners?

Get the poly tune. Super durable and I really like the display. It’s also probably the most accurate and quick reacting tuner I’ve used.

Get the poly tune. Super durable and I really like the display. It’s also probably the most accurate and quick reacting tuner I’ve used.
Yep, I also decided for Polytune. I'm going to order that together with Walrus Audio's Polychrome flanger and Xotic SP compressor.

I'm looking at Two Notes Torpedo CAB M+. As I understand it, I can plug into this thing and record great guitar sounds. I'm talking about home use, not live. Is there any way my amp and cab can come into play or is the sound being created only by the Torpedo? Is it worth it? Should I be looking at a load box/attenuator instead?

Last edited:
Back