Guitar Pedals

Riffed and soloed a bit with my flanger tonight... I feel I should build another, smaller pedalboard to fit it permanently. My board is great, but the 11 pedals on it are put together in a way which is fairly limited in amount of available sounds - by design, to be user-friendly. I have my clean and my dirty tone, can add the synth and the wah... But practically don't use many effects screaming "EFFECTS ON!" - they're just shaping the tone together nicely in the background.

With the flanger, I want to play it so it's really noticeable.

Just got a Boss PS-6 Harmonist. It does a lot of things - octaves, harmonies etc. - but for me it was all about the Digitech Whammy-esque "S-Bend" feature. In a many times smaller and sturdier Boss-format. And I love it! (If you want the whole Whammy-experience, you need a separate expression-pedal, but this pedal is amazing on its own.)

Might replace the Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 on my pedalboard - not permanently, but for a while. Meanwhile, I need to figure out how I ran out of room so quickly on the massive Pedaltrain Classic 2... 61 x 31,7 cm! And I have no room to fit this pedal!

There’s an Orange PPC212 open-back cab for sale for 450€. I’d like to swap my 1x12 out for a 2x12 but I’m debating whether open-back is the way to go. Everybody says how closed back is better for tight rock and metal riffs but open-back delivers nice chimy cleans better. What do you guys think?

There’s an Orange PPC212 open-back cab for sale for 450€. I’d like to swap my 1x12 out for a 2x12 but I’m debating whether open-back is the way to go. Everybody says how closed back is better for tight rock and metal riffs but open-back delivers nice chimy cleans better. What do you guys think?

Well, you already know the general differences in theory. Personally, I think once you know your stuff enough and what you want to hear, general guidelines aren't as valuable anymore. Any option to try and experiece the differences?

Hi guys, I have a question regarding guitar recording at home. I purchased Scuffham’s S-Gear amp software and some cheap IRs from York Audio and now I’m wondering if I should plug straight into the interface or use the DI out option on my Marshall Origin. I’m tempted to go the latter route (to have an actual guitar amp in the signal) but if it’s an emulated DI out, would straight into the interface yield a better clean signal in any way? In other words, does the amp head in my signal give any benefit to the sound before it gets further simulated in S-Gear?

Hi guys, I have a question regarding guitar recording at home. I purchased Scuffham’s S-Gear amp software and some cheap IRs from York Audio and now I’m wondering if I should plug straight into the interface or use the DI out option on my Marshall Origin. I’m tempted to go the latter route (to have an actual guitar amp in the signal) but if it’s an emulated DI out, would straight into the interface yield a better clean signal in any way? In other words, does the amp head in my signal give any benefit to the sound before it gets further simulated in S-Gear?
The DI-outs of guitar amps usually are of low quality, so I would not advice that.

Is there a noticeable difference between using an active DI box and running straight into an interface?
Generally yes. Lower loss of high end, but it all depends on the other gear you use. Principal of a bottle neck describes it rather well: The lowest quality piece of gear in all your setup will be the limiting factor. Means: If you have, as an example, 20 great cables and one good cable set up, the result will be good at maximum, not great. If you have 20 great cables, 4 good cables and one crap cable. then the best possible result you'll get out of it all will be crap. ;)
In other words: The Radial Engineering active J48 is expensive and solid though that doesn't nescessarily mean you need to go for expensive high end gear in general. Much more important is that each piece of equipment will go well with the rest of your gear. You should not see each piece seperately by its own, but try to get understanding of any device you are out for contexted to the entire system you are running. You can get fine results based on budget gear too.

Last edited:
Back