Guilty pleasures

I’m madly in love with The Midnight, the American synthwave duo. The music and production scream 80’s, but that’s the cool thing about them. Everyone should check them out

I used to have more "guilty pleasures," but then matured & accepted that most of them were actually legit great music that I didn't need to be ashamed of liking, no matter how unhip they were -- e.g. Journey, Eagles, Jackson Browne, early Loverboy, Sammy Hagar, Night Ranger. Fuck the snobs.

In more recent decades, I have actually purchased CDs of the single of Madonna's "Ray of Light"; two albums by Anastacia ("Sick and Tired" was all over the radio when I took a 3-week trip in Italy, and it kinda grew on me); a greatest hits album by Robbie Williams (similar - "Millennium" and "Radio" grew on me watching European MTV on trips; I'm an American so I didn't know I was supposed to think he's a cunt). And I will defend Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" as one of the best-written and -arranged pop songs in recent years.

Here's some acts and styles I love outside of rock/metal arena. Not guilty at all...

Glad to see this thread being resurrected, it was a good one.

This song is #3 on my "Most Played Songs" list on iTunes. That is not a joke. And I can only blame my 11yo daughter for about 10% of the plays -- the rest are all me. I think it's one of the best synthpop tunes I've heard in a long while.

Great song. I'm a big fan of all three of their albums.

Does it count that I like exactly one Ed Sheeran song if it's solely because of the shameless cultural appropriation and Saoirse Ronan in the video?

EDIT: Oh, fuck it, I changed my ringtone from NSync's Bye Bye Bye to this. :oops:

Last edited:
The only two that spring to mind are Scissor Sisters and Taylor Swift, but they're not really a "guilty pleasure", just stuff that I wouldn't list if somebody asked me about my musical preferences. Nickelback would probably be another to most people, but I love 'em and don't make any secret of it. Probably wouldn't be listening to metal without them.

Bee Gees I've always been a fan of

Who isn't?!

86b09a66a96e5ee9466d706b9321aaef.jpg

:D

I've never understood why Nickelback are so strongly hated by so many people, yet still an extremely popular band.

I think it's a mix of jumping on the bandwagon and a bit of ignorance. People hear the soppy ballads (which I don't hate, but don't really like either) on the radio and think that's all Nickelback do, not realising that they have a lot of really good heavy songs.

Before I got into hard rock and metal, I liked a bit of Shakin' Stevens as a youngster, and I'm still partial to putting on his greatest hits every now and again. I see he is touring the UK next, I'm quite tempted ... This though is my favourite tune of his,

Back