Greatest Moments in Maiden History

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
This is specifically about songs, not events, concerts, etc. What's your favorite moment in any Maiden song?

Leaving out Empire of the Clouds, because the entire thing is perfect, these are my personal favorite moments, in a handy Top 10 form because otherwise I won't appease that bastard goddess CriedWhenBrucieLeft.

#10: "The Legacy"
The Final Verse - The second half of The Legacy is incredible, but they really fucking nailed the ending lines.
"But some are just not wanting peace
Their whole life is death and misery
The only thing that they know
'Fight fire with fire, life is cheap!'
But if they do stop to think
That man is teetering right on the brink
But do you think that they would care?
They benefit from death and pain and despair...."

#9: "Still Life"
The Opening Lines - After the beautiful guitar opening, Bruce's entry into the track is just absolutely incredible.
"Take a look in the pool and what do you see?
In the dark depths there, faces beckoning me
Can't you see them? It's plain for all to see
They were there, oh I know you don't believe me!"
#8: "Where Eagles Dare"
The Drum Intro - Nicko's masterpiece, the drumming kickstarts the track and foreshadows the epic riff coming next.

#7: "Sign of the Cross"
The Explosion - Right after that frantic guitar / drum bit during the instrumental section, the band suddenly explodes into an incredible piece of music followed shortly thereafter by solo.

#6: "Run To The Hills"
The Chorus - It absolutely makes the song. One of the band's best.
"Run to the hills!
Run for your lives!
Run to the hills!
Run for your lives!"
#5: "Powerslave"
The Solo - I can never decide if Alexander the Great or Powerslave has the better solo, but this one is a beautiful piece of music that absolutely uplifts an already awesome song. Just what a solo should be, only this one goes out and thrusts all others in the dust.

#4: "Paschendale"
The Final Chorus - The climax of one of the most epic songs ever hits the listener with more chills than thought possible.
"Home, far away from the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away, but the war, no chance to live again...."
#3: "Moonchild"
The Build-up - This is the single most perfect way to open an album. Ever. So many chills, Jesus.

#2: "Aces High"
The Chorus - Just so unbelievably good. Bruce's best vocal performance, certainly.
"Ruuuun!
Liiive to flyyyyy!
Flyy to liiiiiiive!
Aaaces Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!"
#1: "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
Rain et al. - Bruce's scream is tremendous, then build-up, then explosion, then an amazing solo... This is the best Maiden moment, hands down. So epic, so awesome, so fucking great.

So yeah, that's mine (for now). What're yours? (Post it in list form, too; just for Cried!!)

It's also worth mentioning the "Left to all our golden sons" bit in "The Legacy". Sends chills down my spine every time.

It's also worth mentioning the "Left to all our golden sons" bit in "The Legacy". Sends chills down my spine every time.
That's an incredible moment and gives me a lot more chills, but the ending bit is so awesome and such a perfect way to close the album that I prefer it just a wee bit more.

The first 3 minutes of Infinite dreams is the height of Maiden for me..... the build up has, by far, never been matched before or after that song's composition. The riff that follows the line "in heaven.... or in hell" is phenomenal and is so pleasing to the ears it's just incredible.

The twin guitar attack in Caught Somewhere in Time is likely IMO, the best one of Maiden's discography. The lead and rhythm is incredible but when Adrian leads and Dave does the rhythm, it's pure magic... the bridge riff that kicks off after each of the 2 verses leading to the chorus in that song is one of, if not the best riffs ever

The final 3 piece solo in Paschendale. Adrian kicking it off followed by Steve's heavy bass lines leading into the 3 piece attack is phenomenal! The rhythm in Adrian's part of the solo is just unmatched. It's like a theatrical composition.

The Final 3 minutes and 15 seconds of The Thin Line Between Love and Hate is some of the most beautiful music they have ever composed and by far for me, the best closing track of their career. You can feel the mood, the atmosphere, the power of those final moments with Bruce's long and well sung line "The Thin Line...…….. Between Love and Hate". Great closer to a solid fvcking album

The Intro to The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.... speaks for itself... an almost spiritual feel to it and was a pleasant surprise to me who discovered it by flipping my cassette tape over to the B side to hear it.

The middle section of Sea of Madness.... Adrian's beautiful solo leads into what can be heard as both beauty and sadness depending on your mood in this mid section. The lyrics are very saddening and depressing but the music is amongst the most beautiful ever heard from them. Steve's bass lines are a highlight as are the leads and rhythm.

The solo in Deja Vu. The band join together in perfect harmony in this song and this section to be precise. The drumming, bass and guitars all play the same line before one guitar leads out to start one of the most harmonic riffs of their career with some of the best bass lines Harris has presented. After a few moments, the 2nd guitar joins the lead for a twin power attack of the same riff with synths heard in the rhythm.

The mid section and solo of The Man of Sorrows... so much moodiness here and the guitar riff complements Bruce's extended vocals very well. Powerful song musically and lyrically and this mid section that starts around the 3:15 mark is incredible.

The intro to For the Greater Good of God.. powerful lyrically, very deep and surreal. The bass opening and melodic harmonies complement so well the opening of this song. It's my favorite from the album and one of my all time favorite openings to a song.

The solo in Powerslave… pretty self explanatory

The beginning of the long instrumental section of Phantom.
The harmonies at 9.39 in TRATB.
The second half of TBOS.

The "Longest Day" intro is truly magnificent. I also love the 3:17–4:03 bit in "Paschendale", the crash (14:24–15:11) in "Empire" and the awesome harmony (3:43–4:11) in "Age of Innocence".

- The Thin Line Between Love and Hate's outro. Bruce absolutely nailing the final line followed by the "Oh, I fucking missed him" easter egg at the end is absolutely great.
- Where Eagles Dare's drum intro.
- Bruce's scream in The Number of the Beast.
- When the main theme in Aces High starts following the opening.

No particular order, but:

-Dreamers may die, but the dreams live on, Empire Of The Clouds
-Guitar solos, Powerslave
-Sliding we go, only fear on our side... part, The Longest Day
-Last chorus, when the backing vocals come in, Paschendale
-RAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIN, Rime Of The Acient Mariner
-First half of the song, Infinite Dreams
-Adrian's solo, Dance Of Death
-Chorus and 2nd half of the song, The Book Of Souls
-Drum intro, Where Eagles Dare
-The high parts during the calm part, The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

Just missing out:
-Guitar solo, Stranger In A Strange Land
-The ending instrumental part, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
-Scream, The Number Of The Beast
-Fly as high as the sun, Flight Of Icarus
-Calm intro, FTGGOG
-7/8 solo section, Alexander The Great

Of the top of my head.

I think all of those 16 are interchangable. Depends on the day you ask me.

The whole middle section of Phantom of the Opera.
The SSOASS solos.
The Smith solo leading back to the main Riff of CSIT.
Intro into main riff on To Tame A Land.

Wow so many to choose from. I mean you could have a great moments list on Mariner alone. Give me the albatross begins with "ITS VENGEANCE!!!" Bit. BRUCE just murders this line. The most powerful , greatest Maiden moment for me.

The intro to For the Greater Good of God.. powerful lyrically, very deep and surreal. The bass opening and melodic harmonies complement so well the opening of this song. It's my favorite from the album and one of my all time favorite openings to a song.
I.... fuck, I was gonna add the ending line to my list but forgot. :facepalm:

I always maintain that the ending of TTLBLAH is one of Maiden’s finest moments. The atmosphere of the last 2 minutes appears to be of a band that have settled back together and enjoying playing as a group! The playing is so relaxed. Plus Bruce’s voices, the guitar harmonies and solos are all amazing.

Chronologically... and as of today ;) :

- "Phantom of the Opera": the break ("keep your distance...", including Dennis Stratton's vocal harmonies) and the "torture me back at your lair" repetition with flanger at the end;
- "Killers" : the passage from "I could see..." to "to foresee, see, see and the ensuing solo
- "22 Acacia Avenue": from "you're packing your bags, you're coming with me" to the end
- The end of the instrumental section of "2 Minutes to Midnight" leading to the riff again and the last verse - especially the moment when the drums "get angry" :)
- the chorus of "Wasted Years"
- the football chant part in "Heaven Can Wait"
- the closing guitar harmony in "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
- the last line of "Fear of the Dark"
- the opening verse of "Brave New World"
- "Dreams live on" ("Empire of the Clouds")

Spontaneous list:

#3 For the Greater Good of God
[A Matter of Life and Death] - "Please tell me now what life is..." Beautiful part. Brooding, and repetitive - yes, but a brilliant moment that sums up one of their best records well.

#2 Lord of the Flies
[Death on the Road] - Just when they get going on the verse riff. They might speed up... but it feels so good when Nicko hits that fill and gets the band going. The song is great on the record, but what makes this special is the intensity.

#1 Sign of the Cross [The X Factor] - The melody just before the last chorus. Brilliant melody, some beautiful clean chords, exceptional drumming and Steve's trademark bass. This is how you hit home with an epic. Slightly understated, but so much better for it. Truly my favourite moment on any Iron Maiden-record.

There are so so many greatest moments in Maiden history, but I will list the ones that I think are the best:

- Bruce's scream in The Number of the Beast
- the twin-lead guitar harmony in The Trooper
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner (the whole song)
- the intro in HBTN
- SIASL solo
- the melody on Dance of Death
- the drum intro in The Prisoner
- the chorus in Aces High
- the gallop rhythm in Run to the Hills
- the main riff of Phantom of the Opera
- the sound/vibe of the Killers album
- all melodic harmonies in Sign of the Cross + the bass intro in BOTWH
- the intro and twin guitar harmonies in The Clansman
- the whole Brave New World album
- Nicko's drumming in the Powerslave album

And the list goes on and on and on.... :innocent:

Last edited:
I don't know that I can rank them, but here's some of my favourites:

The opening fast rift to Phantom of the Opera. It's killer, it makes me want to air guitar every single time.
Oh god of earth and altar, bow down and hear my cry...
Running, scrambling, flying! Rolling, turning, diving...doin' it again!
Powerslave-everyone-gets-a-solo-section.
The instrumental after "then down in falls comes the raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin".
That killer gallop in Alexander the Great. You know the one I mean.
Fear of the dark...fear of the dark, fear of the dark...fear of the daaaaaaaark!
Eleven saintly shrouded men...
The final "Freedom!" chorus in Clansman.
The opening riff of The Wicker Man. Fuck. So good.
My absolute favourite moment in Iron Maiden history: Blood is falling like the rain, its crimson cloak unveils again, the sound of guns can't hide their shame...and so we die at Paschendale.
The end of the soft intro of BTATS, when the sound just explodes into this much bigger, brighter thing - it always FELT like I was watching video of a nuclear blast.
The SOS.

I don't know that I can rank them, but here's some of my favourites:

The opening fast rift to Phantom of the Opera. It's killer, it makes me want to air guitar every single time.
Oh god of earth and altar, bow down and hear my cry...
Running, scrambling, flying! Rolling, turning, diving...doin' it again!
Powerslave-everyone-gets-a-solo-section.
The instrumental after "then down in falls comes the raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin".
That killer gallop in Alexander the Great. You know the one I mean.
Fear of the dark...fear of the dark, fear of the dark...fear of the daaaaaaaark!
Eleven saintly shrouded men...
The final "Freedom!" chorus in Clansman.
The opening riff of The Wicker Man. Fuck. So good.
My absolute favourite moment in Iron Maiden history: Blood is falling like the rain, its crimson cloak unveils again, the sound of guns can't hide their shame...and so we die at Paschendale.
The end of the soft intro of BTATS, when the sound just explodes into this much bigger, brighter thing - it always FELT like I was watching video of a nuclear blast.
The SOS.

So nice to read your bit on PFD. Some just don't get' this song, I guess. The emotion / atmosphere is captured here like no other song. I'm transported to those fields of WW1 every listen. Powerful stuff indeed.

Back