GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

With just over 12 hours left, SSOASS has pulled ahead. Will there be more votes for Powerslave?!

Just thought of the word 'Fillerslave' and it amused me.
I've seen that term thrown around and I think it just shows how good those four tracks are. IMO those four middle "fillers" are in the better half of Maiden discography. It's just that the bookends are so damn epic that they set the bar too high for the rest of the album.
With just over 12 hours left, SSOASS has pulled ahead. Will there be more votes for Powerslave?!
Not to nitpick, but how did that happen?
I made a tie yesterday (17-17), there were 34 votes and I'm sure Confeos voted for Powerslave after me (which can be seen) and now it's 17-19? Huh?

*insert X-Files title theme here*

Not to nitpick, but how did that happen?
I made a tie yesterday (17-17), there were 34 votes and I'm sure Confeos voted for Powerslave after me (which can be seen) and now it's 17-19? Huh?

*insert X-Files title theme here*
I changed my vote.

200.gif

I thought that was indeed not allowed. At least, I thought other voters could not correct or change something.
= = =

Anyway... looks like I could not stay away long. I had a few good conversations and felt comfortable enough to start posting again, somewhat.

While I distance myself from running with the "middle of Powerslave is not great!"-pack, and while Powerslave has no less than 3 songs in my all time top 10, while it features Rime of the Ancient Mariner(!), my all time favourite song (by any band)....

.... Seventh Son of a Seventh Son has 4 songs in my top 20 (or 5 in my top 25). If I'd pick my favourite 7 to 12 tracks of these albums combined, the Seventh Son songs would outnumber the Powerslave songs.

Top 50 material:
- - - - - - -
01. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
03. Infinite Dreams
04. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

05. Powerslave
09. The Duellists
11. Only the Good Die Young
19. The Evil That Men Do
23. The Clairvoyant*
32. Aces High*
* These songs could be lower now, because I made this before TBOS came out.. But the order is still the same.

Outside top 50 material, in ranking order:
- - - - - - -
Moonchild
The Prophecy

22 Minutes to Midnight
Flash of the Blade
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Back in the Village
Can I Play With Madness

I'd love to vote for Powerslave, and then go against my own individual preference -as I teethgrindingly saw people go against theirs, so often in this game-, and I'd honestly love to stand up for this album. But when I look at that magnificent group: Infinite Dreams, SSOASS, Only the Good Die Young, The Evil That Men Do and The Clairvoyant.... to have these 5 on an album... holy shit. That simply does it. In the end I still love Powerslave a lot, and I think that for a number of years I liked it even more than Seventh Son. But one vote needs to be given.

Last edited:
I thought that was indeed not allowed. At least, I thought other voters could not correct or change something.
It is not allowed, unless there was a technical error that caused someone's intended vote to drop, which has happened once or twice.

However, with moderator powers, it is possible.

So, unfortunately, due to what is possibly a joke by @Night Prowler but might have happened based on the testimony of people watching the game, we have ended the GMAC with a significant controversy.

@Night Prowler seems to be offline, so I am left with a conundrum.

Do I strike his vote, at which point my deciding vote would be the victor? Do I wait to see if he was joking - if he was, then Seventh Son wins, but if he was not, then his original vote would count and Powerslave would win?

I am terribly torn and, quite frankly, really upset.

Serbia's Eurovision song was already so shit, let's not let the Serb get away with another shenanigan!
I would wait for NP to say if he was joking or not.

So, unfortunately, due to what is possibly a joke by @Night Prowler but might have happened based on the testimony of people watching the game, we have ended the GMAC with a significant controversy.

@Night Prowler seems to be offline, so I am left with a conundrum.

Do I strike his vote, at which point my deciding vote would be the victor? Do I wait to see if he was joking - if he was, then Seventh Son wins, but if he was not, then his original vote would count and Powerslave would win?

I am terribly torn and, quite frankly, really upset.
I guess this all depends on your vote.

Scenario 1: NP was joking
- You vote for Powerslave, the GMAC ends in a tie.
- You vote for SSOASS, it wins by two votes.

Scenario 2: NP wasn’t joking, you strike his vote, and your vote decides the fate of the game.

Scenario 3: NP wasn’t joking, you keep his original vote.

- You vote for Powerslave, it wins by two votes.
- You vote for SSOASS, the GMAC ends in a tie.

Regardless of the outcome, you should still vote. Personally, I think it’s pretty awesome that you would cast the deciding vote in a game that you’ve put so much work into.

Back