GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

One of the most unique bands ever versus every song sounds the same...Primus, easy choice.

Death Magnetic is a mid-tier Metallica effort at best. Wishmaster is a mid-tier Nightwish effort at best, but it has more cohesion.

Blind Guardian. Once again, the style of the competition is not for me.

I will vote for anything over the album that killed Symbol of Salvation.

I didn't know what I'd think of Primus 'cause I only ever heard My Name is Mud. I really liked it... I love Gojira as well but this was very interesting. Probably wouldn't win over From Mars to Sirius though.

Not too big on the Nightwish album, but I still listened to some of it. Then I gave DM a listen and enjoyed The Day That Never Comes as I always do :) Loudness problems aside, the songs here are not bad at all (most of them...) What's there not to like about the opening to All Nightmare Long?

Blind Guardian is meh to me, Galeere is very good thoroughly, sad it's getting stomped like that.

For the last one I was tempted to choose FNM... Obsolete was more flavour of the month, it'd probably be the first to get replaced on my list. But in the end I'm sticking with it. Hi-Tech Hate and Freedom or Fire are a little filler, but the peaks here are high, talking about Ressurection, Shock and Descent.

Third clash brings Black Metallions Eis and man do these guys know how to create an ambiance. They toss 8 minutes plus long tracks without sounding boring and the use of keyboards is absolutely cunning. This is especially noticeable during the long intros that really resemble the first strokes of a drawing being done and really makes you plunge into their universe. As for the vocals they sound like Ihsahn singing in German and IMO that's great because a) Ihsahn has a really good BM shriek and b) the German idiom gives an even raspier feel toit. So Galeere starts and once the intro ends a mid pace simple yet strong riff repeats itself while the drum work offers us various interesting patterns. Then Eis go blast beat mode and normally they become way more predictable but overall this is a great opener. The second track also builds momento in a masterful way but I think the guys insist too much on the blast beat thing on this one. Nevertheless things get interesting when the orchestral interlude enters (is that an accordion?) followed by one of the most furious and melodically eerie uptempo blasts I've listened to in years. But still this one could be way shorter. By now it's unnecessary to say Durch Lichtlose Tiefen also starts with a spine chilling intro. What follows is a slow well marked riffage that somehow reminds me of early Samael until it speeds up into another blast beat section but this time the band has something really exciting up their sleeve: somewhere in the middle a major scale guitar riff that seems less dislocated in a Post Rock track starts to drag the song to half its tempo. And man... this sounds strange but at the same time amazing! The remainder of the song is also something: the variations between these weird tones, classic BM and near melodic Death Metal are really something. Helike once again as certain avant garde taste to it as a synth supports another near Avant Garde metal melodic riff as the speed rises and slows with various hues revealing a more melodic line than the previous tracks. The middle section presents us some cutting triplets until the whole thing explodes into a near Emperor roller coaster till it returns to that beautiful initial melodic guitar lead hovering above the chaotic fury below. Unter Toten Kapitanen closes the album: a 15 minute epic that gathers all the ingredients above and toss them upon us in a masterful last display of originality, great composition notion and diversity regarding the extreme metal universe. I also like Blind Guardian's album but this Eis' album was a sweet surprise (especially coming from a genre that is normally dislike) so it gets my vote. Nevertheless I messed up and checked the wrong square. It doesn't matter for the outcome anyway since Blind Guardian is so far ahead but nonetheless my apologies to Perun.

I'm a Fear Factory die hard fan and Obsolete is not even in my top 3 favorite albums (Demanufacture, Soul Of A New Machine and Archetype get the podium) but even with that in mind it's one heck of a record. Opening this futuristic conceptual album Shock is a pure detonation of energy and one can immediately marvel with the out of this world sampling/ keyboards/ production by Mr. Rhys Fulber that boosts an already anthem of a track to even higher standards. Edgecrusher follows and although I kinda dig the Nu-metalish main riff, the stand up bass part is really out of place here. Smasher / Devourer is your meat and potatoes Fear Factory and Securitron is kind on the same line although a bit better built. By now the album seems to lose a bit of balance when the somehow commercial but soul snatching introspection and beautiful frailty pictured in Descent can't help but grab your attention. Hi-Tech Hate follows and this is what I consider to be by far the best track from the lot: a sci-fi barrage of riffing fury that makes way through break beats and machine gun bass drum till it flows into a glorious chorus. And once again the sampling on this thing is one of the best things I've ever listened to (if not the best). Freedom Or Fire is one of the weakest tracks where the band try to do a wanna be Sepultura Roots like song. On the other hand Ressurrection is an orchestral industrial metal composition that is nothing short of impressive. The sense of melody, the way aggression and almost angelical beauty iterate is off the charts on this fan favorite classic. The record closes with a stunning beautiful melodic mantra with solely keyboards and Burton's voice bringing the story to its epilogue. So there you go: one hell of a strong album and absolutely dissimilar from The Real Thing. Which one I like the most? I really don't know but since I believe Obsolete will lose (even if it doesn't FNM will still have a future entrance with Angel Dust) this time it goes to Fear Factory.

Last edited:
Any time I listen to Primus, I enjoy the experience. It's just never enough to convince me to become a Primus fan and dig into their discography. Frizzle Fry was the same way. Les Claypool can play bass, though, let's give credit where it's due, yeah? Gojira's music is far more my style, even if the vocals aren't. Then again, Primus doesn't have great vocals either. Gojira.

Death Magnetic sucks. It's not a good album. Just because it's "moderately heavier Metallica" doesn't make it good, neither by comparison to its predecessors nor by comparison to the albums coming out at the same time. Drums suck, bass sucks, guitar is meh, Hetfield sounds crappy, and the album is made stupid loud. Is Wishmaster top shelf Nightwish? No, but I'd take that over bleh Metallica trying to pretend like they never sold out. Nightwish.

Geist/Eis has decent music, really. And I enjoyed it. But tracking them down to figure out if they were the right band? That was a pain in the ass and I'll probably vote against them just because of that. Meanwhile, Blind Guardian is one of my favourite bands, and this is a classic album from them. Yeah, easy pick for me.

I don't like Fear Factory very much, nor do I like Faith No More, but I guess the latter is the better. FNM.

Better mastering or not, Nightwish is pretty much my favorite band behind Maiden right now and I genuinely like every song they’ve put out, and love every album they’ve released. No way Metallica will beat that.

Gojira barely avoids being frizzle fried and moves on. Primus is done in the GMAC, and next up for the Frenchmen is Oranssi Pazuzu.
Metallica squeaks past Nightwish, suggesting this album might not go too deep. However, you never know. Nightwish returns next league.
Eis/Geist is blasted away by Blind Guardian. They're done in the tournament, and the victors are next facing Thin Lizzy.
Faith No More makes Fear Factor obsolescent. Next up is Lamb of God.

Alice_in_Chains_Jar_of_Flies.jpg

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies (1994)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @phantomoftheicarus
League 11 - Match 25vs.
Judas_Priest_Nostradamus.jpg

Judas Priest - Nostradamus (2008)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti 16-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hammerfall_-_Crimson_Thunder.jpg

HammerFall - Crimson Thunder (2002)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Kalata
League 11 - Match 26vs.
220px-Rainbow_-_Ritchie_Blackmore%27s_Rainbow_%281975%29_front_cover.jpg

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow (1975)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 49
Previous Rounds:
League 15: Defeated Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory 12(ET)-11.
League 14: Defeated Tony MacAlpine - Maximum Security 20-3.
League 13: Defeated Powerwolf - Lupus Dei 21-8.
League 12: Defeated Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation 14-12.

Helloween_-_Gambling_with_the_Devil.jpg

Helloween - Gambling With the Devil (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
League 11 - Match 27vs.
Borknagar-The_Olden_Domain.jpg

Borknagar - The Olden Domain (1997)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated System of a Down - Hypnotize 15-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Papa_Roach_Infest.jpg

Papa Roach - Infest (2000)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @KidInTheDark666
League 11 - Match 28vs.
The_Headless_Children_%28W.A.S.P._album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 42
Previous Rounds:
League 15: Defeated Savatage - Edge of Thorns 12-10.
League 14: Defeated Warlord - And the Cannons of Destruction Have Begun 15-5.
League 13: Defeated Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi 22-5.
League 12: Defeated Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill 18-8.

Alice in Chains - I briefly owned a dubbed copy of Dirt when it was out and never got into it, other than that I'm not familiar with their material. This track isn't bad, not anything I'd be rushing out to buy though. The old saying "time heels old wounds" applies, I used to be hostile to Grunge when it was out as it made pariahs out of a lot of the bands I was a fan of, but every grunge band that's been in this game is better than I remembered and definitely preferable to a lot of the music that came afterwards

Judas Priest - opinion given the last round, recap, not the best priest album by a good way but they get kudos for even trying such an album and not turning it into some cliche, I'd expected lyrics like "Nostradamus, he foresaw heavy metal!"

Judas Priest with the win

Hammerfall - I own this album, I reckon the first album is the only one that holds up, but the following couple of albums have a few decent tracks each, although I hate the term, they are "guilty pleasures" if you will. Hearts on Fire falls into that category, although I hate when bands put the live breakdown sing-a-long part onto the album version

Rainbow - opinion given before

Rainbow with the win

Helloween - Nice guitar sound on the intro sounds like Hootie and the Blowfish:lol:, heavier guitar sound isn't great though, keys in the chorus are awful but the vocal/words are hooky and memorable, solo section onwards just seems like a collection of different parts that bear no connection to each other or the rest of the track until it gets back to the verse/chorus part.

Borknagar - Is this the right track? The video has a picture of Asphyx on it? Think it's just a bad video though as I had a look on youtube and there's other tracks with the correct picture and they play the same song. Wasn't expecting the vocal when this kicked in, was good when he was singing properly, there's a kind of an old school mainstream groove to the whole thing, like they are covering an old school song in a black metal style, it's definitely holding my attention more than an average black metal track. The blast beat puts paid to that though:lol:Section around the 5 min mark sounds like Rush. Outro solo sounds good

Borknagar with the win, not a huge fan of either and I could have voted either way but give the vote to Borknagar as usually I would never have lasted more than a minute or two on a track in that style.

Papa Roach - Intro riff sounds like Dedication by Thin Lizzy even the bass kicks in in the same style. The vocal isn't great but the music is not bad at all. I saw these open for Maiden in 2007 and they weren't awful. My little sister was into these when this was out so I'm somewhat familiar with the whole album.

W.A.S.P. - Opinion given before, The Real Me one of the all time great covers.

W.A.S.P. with the win

Last edited:
Back