GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Nominations closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meshuggah ain't half bad really, I can take them in extremely small doses. If I had five more picks I would've thrown in:
  • Obituary - Cause of Death
  • Death - Scream Bloody Gore
  • Possessed - Seven Churches
  • Mercyful Fate - Melissa
  • Bathory - Bathory
It seems like those would've been essential picks in the list I sent in, but it turns out there's a lot of good heavy metal out there lol
I was going to put in Chaosphere, but Koloss and ObZen are pretty good. Listening to any of their albums in full is the mental equivalent of a power wash.
Bathory seems interesting, and Melissa is the only Mercyful Fate album I listen to.
Death, on the other hand, I consider sensory abuse.
You probably wouldn't be a fan of my 'controversial' pick.

I've been pondering how to handle ties in the Metal Album Cup, so I'm thinking first a 12 hour overtime period and if that fails, penalty kicks. But I can't decide how to do kicks.

I was going to put in Chaosphere, but Koloss and ObZen are pretty good. Listening to any of their albums in full is the mental equivalent of a power wash.
Bathory seems interesting, and Melissa is the only Mercyful Fate album I listen to.
Death, on the other hand, I consider sensory abuse.
You probably wouldn't be a fan of my 'controversial' pick.
Those Meshuggah albums don't seem like half bad picks. If Death is sensory abuse then I probably wouldn't pick up any of Bathory's first 4 albums hahaha. To each his own. And Melissa is a wonderful album!

Those Meshuggah albums don't seem like half bad picks. If Death is sensory abuse then I probably wouldn't pick up any of Bathory's first 4 albums hahaha. To each his own. And Melissa is a wonderful album!
Eh, the only part of Death I despise is Chuck's vocals; everything else is superb.

I've decided to close nominations at the end of the day, Friday, April 10th. So if you haven't gotten me a list by then, your albums will not get to participate!

Already sent mine via PM but anyway here it is:
  • Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
  • Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
  • Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
  • Slayer - Reign In Blood
  • Voivod - Dimension Hatross
  • Sabbat - History Of A Time To Come
  • Metallica - .... And Justice For All
  • Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos (Slaves To Darkness)
  • Anthrax - Persistence Of Time
  • Judas Priest - Painkiller
  • Megadeth - Rust In Peace
  • Carcass - Necroticism (Descanting The Insalubrious)
  • Death - Individual Thought Patterns
  • Sepultura - Chaos AD
  • Entombed - Wolverine Blues
  • My Dying Bride - Turn Lose The Swans
  • Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
  • Fear Factory - Demanufacture
  • Strapping Young Lad - City
  • Devin Townsend - Infinity
  • Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding
  • Rosetta - Wake/Lift
  • Cynic - Traced In Air
  • Samael - Above
  • Cult Of Luna And Julie Christmas - Mariner

Old Wainds' Здесь Никогда Не Сходят Снега for sure, plus some Celtic Frost, Emperor, Darkthrone and maybe Gorgoroth.

What do you consider the best Gorgoroth and Darkthrone albums? Under a Funeral Moon is one of the first albums I ever bought but it’s been so long since I listened to any of that.

What do you consider the best Gorgoroth and Darkthrone albums? Under a Funeral Moon is one of the first albums I ever bought but it’s been so long since I listened to any of that.
For Gorgoroth - Destroyer.
Darkthrone is tough really, I love Panzerfaust, but Under A Funeral Moon and Transylvanian Hunger are so classic Black. Total Death was a very interesting and different (then) album... If you press me I'd go for Panzerfaust but can't provide a rational reason.

Please don't say that again. :)
To quote myself from the 1,000,000 replies thread a few days ago:
"Superb riffs, great drumming and well-written lyrics, but the pitch and texture of Chuck's growl is like a knife to the gut. I can listen to the beginning of the songs just fine, but then the growls set me on edge.
Then I become hyperaware of the rest of the music – the vocals, drums and guitar meld into one distorted blob of noise.
It feels like my insides are being gouged out with a cheese grater.

One of the worst ones for me is Symbolic, especially the chorus."

As you can clearly see, I find Chuck's vocals physically painful to listen to. "Despise" is not an exaggeration.

giphy.gif

For Gorgoroth - Destroyer.
Darkthrone is tough really, I love Panzerfaust, but Under A Funeral Moon and Transylvanian Hunger are so classic Black. Total Death was a very interesting and different (then) album... If you press me I'd go for Panzerfaust but can't provide a rational reason.

Aw man, Transylvanian Hunger, 10-year-old me loved the hell out of that song. I’ll try the stuff you mentioned to enjoy some BM nostalgia.
Were you ever a fan of Satyricon?

Aw man, Transylvanian Hunger, 10-year-old me loved the hell out of that song. I’ll try the stuff you mentioned to enjoy some BM nostalgia.
Were you ever a fan of Satyricon?
Yes of course, they were my favourite BM band when Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone were still the only albums they had released. Still my favourite two from them, with Shadowthrone best in my opinion.
Rebel Extravaganza was a fantastic album - even though I needed some time to get into it - and then I gradually lost interest, I'm sorry to say.
Still play the first four from time to time.

Yes of course, they were my favourite BM band when Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone were still the only albums they had released. Still my favourite two from them, with Shadowthrone best in my opinion.
Rebel Extravaganza was a fantastic album - even though I needed some time to get into it - and then I gradually lost interest, I'm sorry to say.
Still play the first four from time to time.

I remember Nemesis Divina being my favourite from them, and my overall favourite album at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back