GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

And honestly, there are at least 2 or 3 really good Shakira albums and at least one great Carrie Underwood album that I'd rather see crowned as a greatest metal album than any given Rush album. But we'll see, maybe I'm not being fair to y'all.
giphy.gif

Shakira is okay, actually, I'd be fine with her being in this game. I'm sure I read she's a Maiden fan anyway

If Opeth and Nightwish are still tied in 2 hours, I'll switch my vote to Opeth to progress the round. I don't really care for Nightwish or Opeth

if a Maiden album won't win the cup, a Rush album will
I think the most likely artists to upset Maiden in this game are Sabbath and Metallica. (On a non-Maiden forum it wouldn’t be an upset.) Painkiller and Rainbow Rising each has a puncher’s chance, and I would certainly bet on Rush (Moving Pictures in particular) to make a very deep run.

The results of the last round ain't surprising, though they're disconcerting nonetheless. Considering the general Rush bias everywhere, I suspect there's a strong possibility that if a Maiden album won't win the cup, a Rush album will.

And honestly, there are at least 2 or 3 really good Shakira albums and at least one great Carrie Underwood album that I'd rather see crowned as a greatest metal album than any given Rush album. But we'll see, maybe I'm not being fair to y'all.

Anyway, voting for Amorphis and Opeth, of course. Absolutely stellar albums, both of them. Let's hope that at least Watershed won't get eliminated by friggin' Nightwish.
Shall we tone down this ever ongoing anti non metal or anti Rush or whatever it is campaign. It is has worn out.

A Maiden album will win anyway.

Last edited:
Despite the band simply being a legendary institution, if their albums back in the day weren't "actually that good", we wouldn't be playing this game on this forum at all. And I doubt we'd be huddled together on a Krokus or Tygers of Pan Tang or Diamond Head forum in the current year if those albums (Iron Maiden's) didn't have the success and recognition that they do. (no disrespect to those bands, but I think your album really, really had to be worth a damn back in the 80's to make it big and persevere).

Do you care to elaborate on this?
Iron Maiden isn't one of the bands where I'm too keen on the front-to-back album experience. They either have a few clunkers, they lose steam somewhere, or they're just far too long (although that last one is definitely a "me" problem). There's also the fact that they're a very story-oriented band, where every song is its own experience, and switching from story to story isn't very effective.

The ones I would call call good album experiences are:
Powerslave (Losfer Words is too long)
Somewhere In Time (ATG feels a little out of place)
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (The Prophecy destroys the flow of the previous four songs, but everything else is excellent)
A Matter Of Life And Death (okay, this one is quite possibly their best album - it's just that I don't have the patience to listen to it in one go.)

So, yes, it's a highly personal thing, and most of you probably have better attention spans than I do.

Piece of Mind is one of the greatest front to back heavy metal experiences to my ears
Personally, I think it starts to lose some cohesion during the last four songs, and To Tame A Land is best enjoyed outside the context of the album.

Back