GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

It said 15:14 in favour of Gamma Ray when LC made his post. The counter probably hadn’t updated to 15 yet. It also said 16:15 for Firepower.

It said 15:14 in favour of Gamma Ray when LC made his post. The counter probably hadn’t updated to 15 yet. It also said 16:15 for Firepower.
The poll should be closed right now, but it's not. So the votes that came in after the deadline are invalid.

Reactions: Jer
Van_Halen_-_1984.jpg

Van Halen - 1984 (1984)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 64
Maidenfans Nominators: @Jer
League 5 - Match 29vs.
Iron_Maiden-Dance_of_Death.jpg

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (2003)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated King Diamond - Conspiracy 21-9.
League 13: Defeated Samson - Head On 21-6.
League 12: Defeated Ghost - Prequelle 15-7.
League 11: Defeated Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale 18-7.
League 10: Defeated Rammstein - Reise Reise 24-6.
League 9: Defeated Amaranthe - The Nexus 22-1.
League 8: Defeated Epica - The Holographic Principle 20-7.
League 7: Defeated Saxon - Unleash the Beast 21-6.
League 6: Defeated Blaze Bayley - Blood and Belief 20-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
UFOLightsOutalbumcover.jpg

UFO - Lights Out (1977)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 91
Maidenfans Nominators: @Poto
League 5 - Match 30vs.
Meliora.JPG

Ghost - Meliora (2015)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @LooseCannon
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Anthrax - Spreading the Disease 17-13.

Mot%C3%B6rhead_-_Inferno_%282004%29.jpg

Motörhead - Inferno (2004)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 62
Maidenfans Nominators: @Dityn DJ James
League 5 - Match 31vs.
Amon_amarth_oden.jpg

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side (2006)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler, @Saapanael
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Amorphis - Skyforger 17-11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To_Mega_Therion_-_Celtic_Frost.jpg

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion (1985)

How it got here

List entries: Loudwire 28, DigitalDreamDoor 26
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
League 5 - Match 28vs.
Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

Rush - Hemispheres (1978)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Midnight
Previous Rounds:
League 10: Defeated Rush - Permanent Waves 15-11.
League 9: Defeated Rosetta - Wake/Lift 19-3.
League 8: Defeated The Michael Schenker Group - The Michael Schenker Group 19-8.
League 7: Defeated Gojira - Magma 20-5.
League 6: Defeated Rush - Clockwork Angels 15-12.

I'm certainly going to vote for Ghost, my own nominee. I'm likely going to vote for Van Halen over Iron Maiden, because 1984 is a true classic that has earned its place. I'll likely vote for Amon Amarth, although that's not an album I rank near their top. It's the last matchup that is hard for me. Rush is a favourite, although Hemispheres is not, but man that Celtic Frost album fucking kicks. Like it really, really fucking kicks.

I can't vote against an album that has La Villa Strangiato on on, but Loosey is right. Celtic Frost may actually pull this one off.

Totally picking great Van Halen over mediocre Iron Maiden for reasons previously discussed. Also, own-nominee bias. Sorry, @Black Wizard. Winner: Van Halen

In the “damning with faint praise” match, we have this UFO album, which is perfectly serviceable dad rock that neither excites nor offends (though “Alone Again” is pretty cheesy). I totally wouldn’t turn it off if someone else turned it on. It’s up against an also decidedly non-exciting Ghost album, but I think Meloria’s music is a bit more interesting overall. Sorry, @Poto, but I have to go with LoosefedChick’s nominee here. Winner: Ghost

This Motörhead album is really simple and samey, and Lemmy has never been a very good singer. While some of their other material in the GMAC had an infectious groove and a certain amount of charm, I don’t get the same feeling from Inferno. The Amon Amarth album lapses into black metal musical tropes a bit too often, and of course the vocals are consistently terrible, but the songwriting and large portions of the music are generally a bit better than what Motörhead is offering up here. Sorry, @Dityn DJ James, but I slightly prefer Sight Praapanaeler’s choice overall. Winner: Amon Amarth

I give Celtic Frost credit for carving out a unique sound here, as that’s something that most thrash bands don’t accomplish. The vocals are typical bad thrash vocals with a hint of punk delivery, and I don’t know what’s going on with the occasional high-pitched female vocals getting thrown in, but the music’s pretty solid in general. Still, that’s nowhere near enough to take down one of Rush’s best albums. Gotta go with @Midnight ’s nominee this time. Winner: Rush

Man if Van Halen loses to Dance of Death I will have no further doubts that I am on an Iron Maiden forum.

Again, as with Dream Theater's shitty offering in the last round...we're putting Dance of Death up against truly lame music here. I'm sorry for the talent of Eddie Van Halen, but Paschendale, No More Lies, and the title track are better than anything David Lee Roth has ever sang on, ever. Iron Maiden

Lights Out is a good album. A really good album. I've listened to this album for probably 10-15 years. But, at it's core, it is not heavy metal and it is less interesting than Meliora. The title track is great, Electric Phase is great, but it's only about as heavy as Deep Purple, and there's nothing here as interesting as "Absolution" (which, admittedly, probably owes a lot to bands like Purple and UFO). Ghost

With Oden On Our Side is one of the greatest melodic death metal albums ever released, if not the greatest. Absolutely easy vote for Amon Amarth.

Celtic Frost is...not my favorite. That said, this album has a lot of cool moments. Circle of Tyrants is furious as hell (which I am mostly familiar with because of the Opeth cover) and (Beyond The) North Winds has a killer 6/8 groove. I can hear how this was ahead of its time. Contrasting this to Rush: whom I fucking love. Rush are amazing. But, ya know what, I'm gonna take a turn here. If Rush are metal, they certainly aren't on this album. Also, Hemispheres did not deserve to beat either Permanent Waves or Clockwork Angels, so down with Hemispheres! Celtic Frost

Last edited:
Back