GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I will vote for Killers.
Don't get me wrong but I think it's a classic album with a lot of very good songs on it. The sound is awesome . The last of an early Maiden era with Paul and the first album with Adrian. It's one of my favorites. 5th or 6th in the albums per person ranking thread.

Last edited:
I'm sure Killers will be destroyed.
By people who'll then play Empire of the Clouds several times in succession, in triumph.
Not many repetitions I guess. They have at least to take a break to take their medication* :)

*it's a joke... no offense intended to people who actually take medication for all PC thin skins out there

I was gonna say, "God, I hope not," but actually in this match-up I don't really care. If Reign in Blood was on the chopping block, that'd be another story. I don't care that it's a monotonous, one-trick, mish-mash of amateur guitarwork, shouted vocals, and blast beats, that album fucking slaps, man!

Am I the only one who thinks Dream Theatre suck serious balls? Like, all those sections highlighted by Judas, I think they all sound like shit. I do not get those guys at all. In fact, even the band members names annoy me. And their album covers. That band make my skin crawl.
Yes. You are the only person in the world who thinks that. In fact, you are also the first to use "Dream Theater" and "sucks balls" in the same sentence, outside of the many who have said "[insert band here] sure sucks balls compared to Dream Theater."

In all seriousness, I completely understand if you don't like their songwriting. Their singer has a knack for sounding like a dying bird, and their musical masturbation is not for everyone. I just think it's funny, because "sucks balls" gives the connotation that they're lazy oafs who fumble around their instruments, but in reality, they could outplay pretty much any band nominated in this contest at any time.

Yes. You are the only person in the world who thinks that. In fact, you are also the first to use "Dream Theater" and "sucks balls" in the same sentence, outside of the many who have said "[insert band here] sure sucks balls compared to Dream Theater."

In all seriousness, I completely understand if you don't like their songwriting. Their singer has a knack for sounding like a dying bird, and their musical masturbation is not for everyone. I just think it's funny, because "sucks balls" gives the connotation that they're lazy oafs who fumble around their instruments, but in reality, they could outplay pretty much any band nominated in this contest at any time.
Can we have a Dream Theater mashup with this? :D

Some interesting stats about our game to date (assuming the above remains true):

Leagues by lethality:
21 kills - League 6
17 kills - League 3
15 kills - League 13
14 kills - League 12 & 14
13 kills - Leagues 4 & 7
10 kills - League 5 & 15
8 kills - League 10, 11 & 16
7 kills - League 8 & 9
3 kills - League 17 (of 4 opportunities)

Deepest runs:
10 wins - Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good (League 17-8)
Faith No More - The Real Thing (League 17-8)
Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World (League 14-5)
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (League 14-5)
9 wins - Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (League 15-7)
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy (League 12-4)
8 wins - Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (League 11-4)
7 wins - Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes (League 14-8)
Opeth - Watershed (League 12-6)
Rush - Hemispheres (League 10-4)
6 wins - Death - The Sound of Perseverance (League 18-13)
Savatage - Gutter Ballet (League 15-10)
Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (League 13-8)
Atlantean Kodex - The Course of Empire (League 12-7)
Annihilator - Alice in Hell (League 8-3...at least)

Last edited:
Countdown_album_cover.jpg

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 33, Metal Rules 50, Metalstorm 95
Maidenfans Nominators: @MrKnickerbocker, @Yax
League 2 - Match 1vs.
SomethingWickedThisWayComes.jpg

Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 69, Metalstorm 52
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @FTB, @LooseCannon
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Mastodon - Leviathan 21-10.

[TR]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Machine_Head_album_cover.jpg

Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 62, Metalstorm 12
Maidenfans Nominators: @matic22, @Poto, @srfc, @Yax
League 2 - Match 2vs.
Superunknown.jpg

Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Lampwick 43, @mckindog
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Atlantean Kodex - The Course of Empire 15-9.
League 5: Defeated Metal Church - Metal Church 15-13.
League 4: Defeated Gojira - From Mars to Sirius 19-10.
League 3: Defeated Motörhead - Overkill 18-13.

Bruce_Dickinson_-_Accident_of_Birth_Extended.jpg

Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth (1997)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 61, Metalstorm 89
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Kalata, @KidInTheDark666, @LooseCannon, @Mosh
League 2 - Match 3vs.
IFtOS.jpg

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side (1995)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 74, DigitalDreamDoor 76
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard, @FTB, @LooseCannon, @Travis The Dragon
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Tool - Fear Inoculum 20-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Human_Album.jpg

Death - Human (1991)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 70, Loudwire 34, DigitalDreamDoor 16, Metal Kingdom 46
Maidenfans Nominators: @Mosh
League 2 - Match 4vs.
Moving_Pictures.jpg

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Forostar, @Jer, @mckindog, @Midnight
Previous Rounds:
League 5: Defeated Rush - A Farewell to Kings 22-4.
League 4: Defeated Carcass - Heartwork 19-9.
League 3: Defeated Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King 20-10.

Last edited:
Countdown to Extinction is a pretty good album. But Something Wicked This Way Comes fucking rules.

Soundgarden but I could kinda go either way.

Blind Guardian are fine but Accident of Birth is a truly astounding metal album. The fact that he managed to top it with The Chemical Wedding is amazing, because it’s already a contender for one of the greatest records ever on its own merits.

I think Moving Pictures is a really great album, but just like Pearl Jam a little while back, it’s time for some casualties in the rock department, especially when up against a state-of-the-art death metal album like Human. Death pushing the boundaries of what you could do with a seemingly one-trick genre (riffs, growls, and gory lyricism) starts here. To those who dislike harsh vocals but are willing to give it a chance, try this instrumental:

EDIT: Also, LC’s sample song has a very Maiden-inspired feel to it. Certain parts are really reminiscent of “Phantom of the Opera”.

What we have here is 20 people that didn’t bother to listen to Still Life by Opeth.
Look, I haven't listened to the entire album, and I nominated it! As a matter of fact, there are two nominations of mine I haven't listened to in full: Still Life and BABYMETAL.

One of the easiest rounds yet.

After Megadave saw the dollar signs from Metallica’s black album sellout, he wanted to get some of that sweet, sweet radio fan money for himself. While Countdown To Extinction was obviously simplified compared to Rust In Peace, it never felt quite as lobotomized as Metallica’s cash-in did to me. Sure, you’ve got your hooky numbers like “Skin O’ My Teeth”, “Symphony Of Destruction”, “Foreclosure Of A Dream”, and the title track, but you’ve also got the ranty swing of “Sweating Bullets” and the decidedly radio unfriendly “Architecture Of Aggression” and “Ashes In Your Mouth”. While Countdown isn’t among my most favorite Megadeth albums, it’s still a strong collection of pretty well crafted and very well executed metal songs with most of the sharp edges sanded down. While this Iseditionist Earth album is certainly one of their best in the GMAC to date, the songwriting quality gap between these two albums is deep and obvious. IE is lucky to cobble together a couple of well-written songs across an entire album, while the Megadeth record is pretty well written all the way through. And I’d much rather listen to Mustaine’s vocals than the bad half of Barlow’s vocals. While Schaffer has clearly one-upped Mustaine in the QAnon cred department this year, Mustaine beats him in pretty much every other category. Sorry, LoosianaFTBannon, but MrYaxerbocker’s choice takes this in a walk. Winner: Megadeth

Deep Purple is a bit too dad rock for my tastes, but the odd-numbered tracks on Machine Head are pretty strong and “Lazy” is OK, and nothing on here is bad. Let’s say 5 out of the 7 songs are worth my attention. Compare that to a Soundgarden album with 3-4 great songs and 11 that suck balls (in a bad way), and the math does itself. Sorry, Marianawickindog 0.318, but Potomaticsrfax5.5’s nominee wins the “damning with faint praise” match. Winner: Deep Purple

Accident Of Birth. Not as unique as The Chemical Wedding, and doesn’t reach perfection quite as often, but it still kicks ass from start to finish. When “Welcome To The Pit” is the weakest thing you have to offer, how can your album be anything less than classic? “Freak”, “Starchildren”, “Taking The Queen”, “Darkside Of Aquarius”, “Road To Hell”, “Man Of Sorrows”, the title track, “The Magician”, “The @GhostofCain ”, “Omega”, “Arc Of Space” — this is pretty much the definition of “all killer, no filler”. And while it’s up against one of Blind Guardian’s best albums, Blind Guardian is frankly out of their depth here. Accident Of Birth has better vocals, better guitar work, and better (though not always more complicated) songwriting throughout. Sorry, FTBlack Woozi The Cannon, but Dieseleddie’s MooseKalidianaInTheDarkman7arrival’s choice just kicked the sand in Hansi’s face and put André in his place. Winner: Bruce Dickinson

This Death album has the same pro and con as their other stronger albums in this game — great music, but terrible vocals. (Not surprisingly, I liked “Cosmic Sea” the best.) If you’re into that style of vocals, I can see why you’d like this a lot, but it’s not for me. Plus it’s up against one of the very best albums by one of the very best hard rock bands of all time, which I co-nominated. Sorry, @Mosh, but this is a slam dunk for Jerckollinmidnightdogstar’s nominee. Winner: Rush

Megadeth - The album that was out when I was getting into music, so another one that I have a soft spot for. Such bias aside, it's one of their very best albums anyway. Symphony and Sweating Bullets seem to be the tracks that have held up in terms of the live set down through the years, but there's a lot of very good stuff on here too, Ashes In Your Mouth, Architecture of Aggression, the title track, Foreclosure of a Dream and Skin o' my Teeth are all great with High Speed Dirt (the cheeky clean tone blues solo :edmetal:) and especially This Was My Life being what @Kalata might call "hidden gems". Psychotron is a bit rubbish, and Captive Honour is on the iffy side, plus the production and general tone of the album ain't the Mae West.

Iced Earth - opinion given before

Megadeth with the win

Deep Purple - another flawless album, nominated by my good self, among others, @matic22 better show up and vote for it this time! Smoke on the Water and Highway Star don't need any introduction from me, nor would I even be capable of delivering the levels of praise they deserve. But the rest of the tracks are all great too, Never Before was the track they went with as the first single and it's about as perfect a single as a Metal band could release, the requisite levels of catchiness with no dillution of the Metal. Picture of Home maybe even be better again with the driving groove and melodic riff. Maybe I'm a Leo and Lazy are a bit more straightforward but no less great. Closer Space Truckin' rocks like a a truck that's in space, I much prefer this version to the expanded jam live version, "we've got music in our solar system" #scream

Soundgarden - opinion given before

Deep Purple with the win

Bruce Dickinson - I wasn't too interested in Bruce solo, until one day in school a mate played me the "new Bruce Dickinson track" on his walkman. It was the single Accident of Birth. Now this was Metal:edmetal: There's no need to discuss the songs in any great detail on this forum, but the Chemical Wedding gets the praise as the Bruce solo album, but I think that's purely due to the coherence of the theme because the songs on AOB are not in any way weaker.

Blind Guardian - opinion given before

Bruce Dickinson with the win

Death - Intro sounds like Hot for Teacher, this is pretty decent probably the best that's been from them in the game, production is the same guy that did a couple of Sepultura albums I like which is probably why it strikes a chord with me. Drummer is also just as technical as the other stuff they've had but isn't trying to dominate and steal focus and is just that bit classier.

Rush - opinion given before

Rush with the win

Last edited:
Back