GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I'll be the sole voter for As I Lay Dying if I have to. Each round I'm startled by how well those Black Sabbath albums are doing. I just don't get them. they don't move my mind an INCH. Actually that's The Headless Children, this moves it one inch the. AILD are kinda fine, I guess.

Dethklok ain't bad but that's totally the sound I'd expect from an imaginary death metal band with that name.

IE is a pretty solid Blaze album. I really didn't have to nominate it as it's merely a top 4 Blaze solo album, but at the same time I kind of did because I know no other artists. Some words on it: Very consistent in quality. The only filler is the annoying interlude that is The Dreams of William Black (are you there?) Stars are Burning. Solar Wind. The title track. Epic songs with catchy choruses. One may say, the BEST choruses.:ninja: ;) What Will Come features a sick violin-guitar duet. This album has aggression, this album has the melodies, it has the hooks and the coolness factor, it has everything EXCEPT for normal phrasing.
Vote Infinite Entanglement 2020.

Moonsorrow: There's probably a time and place where I like this, but it's not today. Going with Symphony X.

Even more resumed this time:

As I Lie Dying's generic metalcore stuff going against a solid album by Black Sabbath. Easy choice.

Dethklok is a funny fictional band sidekick that got his lifetime transcending the boundaries of the Metalocalypse TV show. It is funny for what it is but offers little more than that. Opeth's debut is on another level.

A meh! album by Iced Earth competing with not the most sharp of Blaze's records. Still I'll stick with Blaze Bayley.

Symphony X does square nothing to me and while Moonsorrow has released way better records IMO, they easily get my vote.

Pleasantly surprised by As I Lay Dying, it's not all singsong choruses, I can live with listening to that. However, Sabbath are more to my taste and generally the more slick and professional outfit with some better and more varied songwriting, even this isn't one of Sabbath's better moments.

For a band playing a tongue-in-cheek OTT cartoon band, Dethklok are pretty good. Still Opeth, though.

Not a terrific Blaze album, although he's such a nice bloke I can't say a bad word about him. There are some nice snippets of music in here, just nothing amazing, and no real stand out track. Incorruptible is the best thing to happen to Iced Earth in ages, meanwhile. BLACK POWDRRRR.

I always think I should like Symphony X for some reason, but just can't get excited about their music. I'll give this to moody and dark Moonsorrow. I could do with more music and less of the tramping through snow noises, though.

To be resumed.

Portuguese. You're right... resumed in English means to continue and I was betrayed by Latin etymology (Resumo: it derives from Recolo + Summa) while writing in a rush.
English
bad Saxon
is
acceptable Saxon
notorious
bad Latin
for
acceptable Saxon
taking
bad Norse
various
bad Latin
languages
really bad French
and
let's say Saxon
twisting
bad Saxon
them
bad Norse
into
Old English invention
something
ditto
completely
bad Latin and French
different
ditto
[See https://en.wiktionary.org]

Well just 12 hours left - two blowouts, one solid win, and one where a tie has slowly started to break to the incumbent. Will we see momentum swings!

I always think I should like Symphony X for some reason, but just can't get excited about their music.
They were the kind of band that had to grow on me very slowly (still are). Currently, my favourites from The Divine Wings Of Tragedy are the first three songs (which are getting better) and Pharaoh (which is losing its sheen).

Great round for the incumbents.

Black Sabbath vaporizes As I Lay Dying, who are eliminated entirely. The metal stalwarts challenge Overkill next.
Opeth dominates Dethklok, removing the parody band from the game. Next for them is Motörhead.
Iced Earth comes back in the back half to beat Blaze Bayley. The ex-Wolfsbane singer returns in League 6.
Symphony X flies past Moonsorrow, who are toast. We'll see how the Americans hold up against Primordial in League 9.

Down_to_Earth_%28Rainbow_album%29_coverart.jpg

Rainbow - Down to Earth (1979)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Poto
League 10 - Match 9vs.
IntoTheMirrorBlackAlbnumCover.jpg

Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black (1990)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog 14-8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cynic_-_Traced_in_Air.jpg

Cynic - Traced in Air (2008)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @karljant
League 10 - Match 10vs.
Ayreon_-_The_Source.jpg

Ayreon - The Source (2017)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Sabaton - Coat of Arms 12-10.

Back