Greatest Maiden Epic

What is Iron Maiden's finest epic track?

• Phantom of the Opera

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Hallowed be Thy Name

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • To Tame a Land

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Alexander the Great

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

• Sign of the Cross

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • The Clansman

• The Nomad

• Paschendale

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • For the Greater Good of God

• Total voters
I didn't include anything from No Prayer or Killers, because they don't have a classic Steve Harris epic.

I haven't listened to Final Frontier so there's no option for in the poll yet.

I love all of these songs, but Sign of the Cross takes the cake for me.

Last edited:
How do you define an epic?
A very hard choice to make, 3 of the songs here are in my top 3, but went for Hallowed.
Shouldn't "Dream of Mirrors" be an epic?

I'm with @Saapanael. Especially in recent years, it has become harder and harder to define an Iron Maiden "epic."

...Dream of Mirrors, Nomad, Blood Brothers, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Dance of Death, No More Lies, Journeyman, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, Longest Day, Benjamin Breeg, The Legacy, Isle of Avalon, Starblind, The Talisman, and Man Who Would Be King...all could be considered epics, especially if we're mainly using song length as a determining factor.

I'd have to disagree at some songs but I know what you mean. I think the term 'epic' varies for everyone a bit.

Pretty much my problem with the "epic" polls. Everyone is going to have their own definition/qualifications for that title. I absolutely don't think Ben Breeg or Journeyman could be considered epics, but I can understand why someone would disagree. With that said, my favorite epic is also my favorite Maiden song: Isle of Avalon. Alex would be a close second I think.

Alexander with Rime very very close. Rime is the very first 'epic' I came to know since Powerslave was my first Maiden album.

Well my first choice would be When the Wind Blows, but since that isn't on here, Hallowed Be Thy Name

I've gone for Paschendale in the end. I generally prefer Seventh Son, but Paschendale ticks more 'epic' boxes for me.

Alright, I gave TFF a go! :p

And needless to say...WTWWB made my eyes water. Oh my god...the rest of the album didn't make that big of an impression on me except for "Starblind".

Alright, I gave TFF a go! :p

And needless to say...WTWWB made my eyes water. Oh my god...the rest of the album didn't make that big of an impression on me except for "Starblind".
That's great! When the Wild Wind Blows is an excellent song, I cried too. If you listen to the album again I bet everything else will grow on you, especially The Talisman and Isle of Avalon.

To me the first half of the album (I was listening to it on YouTube so sound quality isn't at its finest here XD) sounded awfully banal and uninspired, just nondescript rockers that went on for way too long then they should have. I was about to give up on it until Isle of Avalon and Starblind came on and I was thoroughly impressed, and of course the closer brought me to tears.

The first few songs are pretty bad but the rest is great. The long songs tend to get tiring when hearing the album as a whole but separately they are 'epic'. Especially The Talisman, imo, listen to the En Vivo version of it.

1- Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
2- Sign Of The Cross
3- Phantom Of The Opera
4- For The Greater Good of God
5- Heaven Can Wait (It clocks only a few seconds above 7 minutes and is a fast song but everything here is epic... the concept, the pompous details, the choir, oh... and the "Take my hand..." part .... Huge!)

Last edited:
And yes... songs like Powerslave, Heaven Can Wait, Mother Russia, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Fortunes Of War, The Unbeliever, Dream of Mirrors, Nomad, Blood Brothers, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Dance of Death, No More Lies, Face In The Sand, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, Longest Day, Benjamin Breeg, The Legacy, Isle of Avalon, The Talisman, Man Whou Would Be King, When The Wild Wind Blows (adding to the most recent If Eternity Should Fail, The Red And The Black, The Book Of Souls and Empire Of The Clouds) ...all these songs can be called epics if you take into account the word's definition.

Back