Great production, poor live sound

SirRobbins

Ancient Mariner
Metal is a genre that usually amazes live more than the studio versions but it's not always the case.

So, we know as Maiden fans that Somewhere in Time and likely Seventh Son are the best productions in terms of studio quality that the band have ever done but live, it's another story....

Somewhere in Time needed live synths for their tracks and in CSIT, a third guitarist for the bridge of the song. Unique nonetheless

Seventh Son had live synths (an actual keyboardist) but the live tone didn't work much IMO but they are still unique live just as SIT was

what other albums from other bands had great studio production but could never be pulled off live?

Here are my choices..

Def Leppard - Hysteria (1987)
the vocals are insane on the album and clearly never obtainable live regardless of their condition.

Whitesnake - Whitesnake (1987)
It's not what many call "metal" but it's a solid album that disappointed live to me at least.

Dokken - Back for the Attack (1987)
Great studio production but again, the high vocals of Don couldn't be reached anywhere near the level live that he and the backing vocals achieved on the record.

So, we know as Maiden fans that Somewhere in Time and likely Seventh Son are the best productions in terms of studio quality that the band have ever done
Speak for yourself, to me that's Piece of Mind (fav production) and Powerslave.

I think that Iron Maiden's self-titled debut album that could never be truly 100% replicated live. The sound of that album is so distinct and raw, giving all the songs a real punch. Phantom Of The Opera is probably the best example of this, but Transylvania is also really telling of why this sound works so well for the album.

^ oddly enough, it's the most hated of their albums by Steve because of the production... I think it sounds like a 70s album which makes sense since they were written and played then

Dokken - Back for the Attack (1987)
Great studio production but again, the high vocals of Don couldn't be reached anywhere near the level live that he and the backing vocals achieved on the record.

Feel like there's too little recorded evidence to make these claims. He sounds mighty fine on Beast from the East and this:

(Compressor on distorted guitar = weird but cool)

Back