"Gotta Have" Vinyl Albums

New albums/new releases can be pricey depending on the album. But for the older albums, they can be had cheap. Frampton Comes Alive! is almost always in the $1 bin. Mainly because everyone in the universe had that record.

I was under the impression that 'Brothers in Arms' by Dire Straits was a traditional vinyl purchase, but that may just be me >.>

I had that on vinyl once. :)

Mine was a cassette tape.
Think I gave it to my sister, many, many years ago.

On topic, the pebbled Powerslave is definitely a good choice, as is the gatefold AC/DC For Those About to Rock with the raised cannon.
And the original gatefold sleeve Live After Death with the tour booklet, liner sleeves with lyrics, and all those great photos is awesome. :wub:

My Live After Death doesn't have a tour booklet....:( But it does have the sleeves with lyrics and all the great pictures. :D

Most of my favourite bands release their albums on vinyl, so that is of course a given. Got my all time favourite, Dreamin In A Casket (Gain 2007) by Hardcore Superstar on vinyl. Don't care much for owning these widely considered classics everyone is raving about - no matter the impact they have had.

I'd say - get the albums he likes. There are no "Gotta have" when dealing with such subjective things as music.

I disagree with Maturin and think that you will have better luck collecting vinyl for older releases -- assuming they are in very good condition and not scratched to hell. For newer releases, one thing to consider is how the album was recorded. If it was recorded digitally in the first place, then you may be better off getting a CD or lossless download. Why get an analog format for a digital source? That said, there are some releases (e.g., Black Sabbath's 13) that reportedly have greater dynamics on vinyl, even though recorded digitally, because the CD/download mastering is so bad. (Yes, I keep coming back to the loudness wars. The world must know!) Even more silly is newly released vinyl that was recorded from a digital remaster of an originally analog recording. That's just absurd. An example of this is the new Beatles LP Box Set, which I believe used the 2009 digital remasters prepared for the CD reissues. Better to get the older vinyl pressed from the original analog tapes -- unless you like the beefed-up sound of the CD mastering, in which case, just buy the (much less expensive) CD instead.

By the way, Brothers in Arms was recorded and mixed digitally, IIRC, whereas the White Stripes, though more recent, recorded on analog tape.

Last edited:
Similarly, the latest Foo Fighters album, Wasting Light, was recorded on analog. And they made a big deal out of that.

Back