"Gotta Have" Vinyl Albums

Wästed The Great

Minister Of Chicks, Metal&Beer; Cool & Froody Dude
Staff member
My son has recently decided that vinyl is the next coming of awesome. Yeah, he may be a few decades late on that one :) However, we were talking albums and I was giving him a list of 'Gotta have on vinyl'. Here is what I came up with so far-- anyone want to list their top 10-12 'gotta have on vinyl' albums? (these are in no particular order)

1. Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of The Moon
2. The Who- Tommy
3. Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive
4. Jethro Tull- Aqualung
5. Deep Purple- Machine Head
6. Led Zepplin- Led Zepplin IV
7. Boston- Boston
8. Iron Maiden-Live After Death
9. Rush-Moving Pictures
10. Queen- A Night At The Opera

"Gotta have" in terms of "these albums are more special on vinyl"?

Maybe more in a 'romanticism' way. Like if you are going to start collecting vinyl, because you want a cool collection, what do you feel is necessary. So, maybe from the aspect of 'these albums are special and I want to see them on my shelf'?

I know that isn't very clear, so feel free to just go with what you feel. :)

Cheap Trick's At Budokan is a favorite of mine and it has a cool package. I'll post more after giving it some thought.

As for vinyls, I'd highly recommend getting the Japanese editions because they mostly contain some bonus material (track, sticker or sometimes even a poster). I've also been told that the sound quality is superior to any other editions.

Powerslave is a good vinyl album to have because of the textured cover.
London Calling on vinyl is an essential part of any "cool" record collection
Agree with Pink Floyd DSOTM, but be sure you get one with the poster included (I lost mine years ago)
Ditto Jazz by Queen (well, maybe not for your son, but for yourself, for reasons that will be obvious once you see the poster)
Sticky Fingers with the zipper cover
Led Zeppelin III with the wheel cover
The White Stripes (best rock band of this millennium) need to be heard on vinyl. Sound is much better than the CDs.
Early Sabbath pressings on Vertigo

Frampton Comes Alive should not be purchased in ANY format. :p

My copy of Jazz doesn't have any poster. :(

On top of Dark Side, The Wall is also really good on vinyl. Also, agreed about Frampton. :D

My copy of Jazz doesn't have any poster. :(

Here you go. NSFW, incidentally, so beware when you click the spoiler tags:

queen01.jpg

I figured that's what it was as I've seen the video clip a bunch of times.

Having some Beatles in a collection can be pretty cool. I'd say Sgt. Peppers, Let It Be, Abbey Road and maybe even Rubber Soul would be must haves.

:eek: How could I forget those! No wait! I didn't forget them....I just wanted to give someone else to honors of saying them... :innocent:

For The Beatles, a copy of Yesterday and Today with the original cover might have some coolness value.

The White Stripes (best rock band of this millennium) need to be heard on vinyl. Sound is much better than the CDs.

Agree with this. I don't collect vinyl, but if I did, this would be high on my list.

Last edited:
I am a big vinyl fan and I would have a hard time limiting it to 10 or a select list. In general, I would say just get music you like. Go to places like Half Priced Books and you will be surprised what you can get for under $5

I guess, mostly, I was curious as to what people thought were cool vinyl albums to have, for what ever reason-- cool covers, pics, bonus tracks, picture disks, or some sort of 'back when I was young, this was my fav album'.

I am a big vinyl fan and I would have a hard time limiting it to 10 or a select list. In general, I would say just get music you like. Go to places like Half Priced Books and you will be surprised what you can get for under $5
The most I've spent on vinyl was $20, but that was a new pressing of the first Foo Fighters album. Besides that, I rarely spend anymore than $10, vinyl is pretty cheap nowadays.

For artwork, some of the early Genesis and Yes albums have really cool gatefold sleeves.

Back