Ghost of the Navigator

How good is Ghost of the Navigator on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Daily Song: Ghost of the Navigator

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Ghost of the Navigator

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

They didn't play around with BNW. It just ramps up over the first three songs to an epic plateau, and this song does the most to get it going. It drives, it rocks hard. I love the lyrics, and Bruce is fantastic on it. The instrumental section is wonderful, and the chorus just resonates!! 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: Ghost of the Navigator

LooseCannon said:
They didn't play around with BNW. It just ramps up over the first three songs to an epic plateau, and this song does the most to get it going. It drives, it rocks hard. I love the lyrics, and Bruce is fantastic on it. The instrumental section is wonderful, and the chorus just resonates!! 10/10.

Spot on, bull's eye and amen to that.

After watching the "Visions of the Beast" DVD over and over, for some inexplicable reason I could not fathom what tune was used as the little green light flew around the East End only to end up knocking on the window to Eddies apartment. Yet, I still would listen to the album and think that this song is so bloody good (good enough for an 8 ). Amazing.

Yup - the guitars are practically shining here. The verses are little weak.

Good enough for a 9.

Lyrics are ok, they are well written but the theme isn't appealing for me. Intro is pure gold with buildup leading to main riff, everything is great, but when first chorus passes, the thing just repeats itself. I'm not fond of solo either. But the riffage after the solo, and Insane McBrain Drumming(TM) kicks ass once again, and then the thing repeats itself again.

My subjective opinion is that those parts aren't overly catchy or short enough for that level of repentance. Never the less, this song is nowhere filler-class, so it's a straight 8.

9/10. Great song, the instrumental sections are awesome.

HOLY ...

When did we moved to Brave New World album?  :eek:

I`m not going to post since this is my all-time favorite album, all the songs will get a 10 from me.  :yey:

Hey, if that's what you think it deserves. Go nuts.

It rocks hard and fast, the build up to the first verse is honestly one of Maiden's best build ups ever.
Awesome solo by Janick too. 10/10

Farhang said:
I`m not going to post since this is my all-time favorite album, all the songs will get a 10 from me.  :yey:

As you might remember, that's what I did with The X Factor. Well, almost.

Anyway, onto the song. I have always loved the melody played in the intro and reprised in the chorus. The song evokes strong images of stormy seas and deadly cliffs even if you don't have the lyrics to go with. The lyrics are among the band's most beautiful. My heart missed a beat when they started playing it at Knebworth last year. I bloody love this song, what can I say? 10/10.

10/10 this is the absolute highlight of this album for me.  I love the buildup, the main riff is solid (if not lifted from Can I Play With Madness) the chorus is glorious, and feature the last section of a Maiden song that totally shifts gears and surprises the hell out of the listener all the while totally fitting the nature and theme of the song.

This along with Paschendale and Starblind are the 3 major highlights of the current incarnation of the band.  Classic, classic song.

A top 10 song of the six-member era (I dislike the term reunion-era, because the band never broke up, and it is a new line-up).

This song has a mighty beginning, raising the hairs on many backs as soon as the gentle guitars spread over the concert venue. The studio version has the same effect: what a great tension, creating a feeling of mystery.

Then, when the drums kick in, the tension gets even more exciting and the journey begins. The mid piece is one of the heaviest Maiden moments, due to the insane bass drum work by Nicko. Awesome.

I shouldn't forget to mention that it has one of my favourite Janick Gers solos, with its sharp and moving tones, piercing straight through the heart.

Very high 9

Wow. This song took me awhile but when I finally got it, it hit me hard. The intro and buildup and the way Bruce sings into the chorus is absolutely amazing. And one of Janicks better solos. A solid 10

9. This is one that when started, I immedeately saw Ian Anderson, in my mind, playing that melody on his flute. This song has the most exciting crescendo that I can think of! When it bursts into the galloping, and Bruce comes with his vivid though metaphorical lyrics, it's pure magic! A new Maiden, but still Maiden! The part 'There is no other way!!! Mysteries of times, clouds that hide the sun...And I know..." is breathtaking! The second chorus "Take my heart and set it free" recalling the intro melody is just brilliant, genius. The only thing keeping it from 10 is the instrumental section, after the solo, which although great, should've been more intricated and melodic, but still is destroyer! Oh, dear, the day I listened to BNW entirely is one of my fave memories! Great days!!! :edmetal:

10 out of 10... I think this is my second favorite tune on the album. It's one of my favorites to sing along with at the top of my lungs, usually when I'm on a highway trip. Much to the displeasure of my lovely wife...

9/10 for me as well. This is one of those songs in the past 12 months that has really been elevated into the upper echelon of songs. I think feel like it lacks a tiny thing that stops it being an immortal classic along with the other 10s.

If Jan had never contributed anything to the band except the first 35 seconds of this song, he would still be in my personal hall of fame. One of the best openings ever, and it’s a crying shame it was never reprised later in the song. That grievous error aside, it’s a fantastic song with great musical imagery, well-matched with some solid metaphorical lyrics. See Zare's last line (I'm pretty sure he meant repetition) for my reasons for it not being at elite status. But very solid eight.

Yes, i meant fucking repetition....

A pretty good song, never been a huge fan of the chorus but the intro is just great. 8/10.

mckindog said:
If Jan had never contributed anything to the band except the first 35 seconds of this song, he would still be in my personal hall of fame. One of the best openings ever, and it’s a crying shame it was never reprised later in the song.

Isn't it? That very same melody forms the basis of the chorus ... would you prefer an exact repetition of the intro?

Back