General fan vibe during the Blaze days

I agree that Sonisphere was indeed a good performance. But I maintain my position. He can sing the original key. He's still a great singer. For consistency though, he should tune down half a step, because his upper register technique is different than it was pre 2005. He would do I remember you better that way I think. Less strain, more power. Besides, his natural voice is also about half a step lower than when he was in Skid Row.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=I remember you sonishphere&page=2

vs

For any Bach fan:

Ridiculously good project Bach sang on. Over the top vocal performance through and through.

Last edited:

I agree that Sonisphere was indeed a good performance. But I maintain my position. He can sing the original key. He's still a great singer. For consistency though, he should tune down half a step, because his upper register technique is different than it was pre 2005. He would do I remember you better that way I think. Less strain, more power. Besides, his natural voice is also about half a step lower than when he was in Skid Row.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=I remember you sonishphere&page=2

Nice find :) I didn't know anyone had recorded it.

I'm sorry for bumbing this, But I think this is a very intresting subject. I was 8 at the time and and was mesmerized by the TAATG video. I didnt even know they had a different singer with Bruce when I saw them in 1999.

What do you remember of the reaction to the Blaze era songs the following year? The Clansman to me was very natural with Bruce, but what about Man on the Edge and Futureal?

The one thing that I remember from this era is that Maiden was completely and utterly anonymous in the States (at least where I live in Northern CA). They were largely relegated to the back pages of Kerrang and Revolver, were almost never referenced by any major rock artists, and were never mentioned in the same breath as Metallica and Sabbath (like they are now). It truly was a dark time to be a Maiden fan where I live. I fully expected them to fold as I simply saw no way out for them. Of the few fans that I ran into, we essentially waxed nostalgically for the 80s. To be honest, Maiden wasn't really big at all in the States in the early 90s as they were completely overshadowed by grunge and the behemoth that was Metallica's Black Album, but it got even worse when Bruce left.

For me personally, I was quite enamored with bands like Nine Inch Nails and Type O Negative at the time, so I quite liked the darker/moodier approach of TXF. I thought they lost the plot completely on VXI and only bought the album out of loyalty.

It completely blows my mind that Maiden rebounded so spectacularly with the reunion. I still do double takes when I see them get top news billing on places like Blabbermouth, get name dropped by mega pop acts like Lady Gaga, and get put on the same level as Metallica in terms of influence/reach....none of that was happening in 1996. I think some newer fans take their current profile for granted. They are more popular now than I remember them being in the 80s.

Last edited:
Great posts and an important topic. It is truly miraculous when I think of it. So true Maiden was sunk popularity wise in the nineties. It was heart wrenching to be a loyal fan and see them pushed to the back burner of the music world.
I remember sticking up for them as people were convinced they were washed up and would never be relevant again.
I'm ashamed at my view of Blaze back then. Being an immature teen, my friends and I hated Blaze and kinda blamed him...? Sucks I know. And stupid.
And when the clues started accumulating that a reunion was coming? Then it did? It was freaking bliss. It was our prayers answered. And now to experience this last 17 years? It's a miracle. What a band.

Yeah, the rise of grunge then britpop had a lot to answer for, both those genres were flashes in the pan, and none of those bands stood the test of time. Never follow fashion.

Yeah, the rise of grunge then britpop had a lot to answer for, both those genres were flashes in the pan, and none of those bands stood the test of time. Never follow fashion.

I see a general theme in people judging bands in terms of popularity. I wouldnt care if I grew up with the Iron Maiden 80's era, 90's era, or during the pub days in East London. I like to belive I would love the band no matter what, popular or not. Most of my favourite bands still play in pubs for that matter. Gandalfs Fist, Freak Kitchen, Praying Mantis and Remous Down Bouleward are/were tiny bands but I love them just as much as Maiden.

For me it was more about their viability as a business and the likelihood that they would continue in the 90s. There were quite a few rumors swirling that they would throw in the towel before the reunion.

It also does suck to see your favorite band go from arenas to pubs and not get the respect that they deserve.

It also does suck to see your favorite band go from arenas to pubs and not get the respect that they deserve.

Agree to disagree on this part. I dont care what other people think of the bands I listen to. I dont think respect correlates with popularity, not in my book anyway :)

Agree to disagree on this part. I dont care what other people think of the bands I listen to. I dont think respect correlates with popularity, not in my book anyway :)

It definitely sucks for the band. Huge difference in energy, artistic gratification, and (most importantly because music is a job) payment between arenas and pubs.

Oh, I completely agree with that. But I don't see how it wouldn't suck for any massive, word-wide band to sink back to the pub stages after arena stages. It must feel like you don't have respect. Also, fun doesn't put food on the table and there's not a single successful, professional band out there that would tell you that what they do is "fun all the time" instead of "a business."

Money and fame allow Maiden to do giant tours and albums on a regular basis. Dunno why it's a bad thing to want your favorite band to be successful.

Money and fame allow Maiden to do giant tours and albums on a regular basis. Dunno why it's a bad thing to want your favorite band to be successful.

Is it a bad thing if your favourite band likes the color blue? To me, just as with the case of popularity, it doesnt matter. I just dont see the connection between popularity and ones intrest in the band. To be honest with you, I would pay more money to see Iron Maiden play Cart and Horses in 1976 than a big tour.

I just dont see the connection between popularity and ones intrest in the band.
I don't think anyone is arguing that. But I can definitely say if Maiden were a pub band I wouldn't get to see them live.

Oh, I completely agree with that. But I don't see how it wouldn't suck for any massive, word-wide band to sink back to the pub stages after arena stages. It must feel like you don't have respect. Also, fun doesn't put food on the table and there's not a single successful, professional band out there that would tell you that what they do is "fun all the time" instead of "a business."

Well I wouldnt play music to pay the bills in the first place. But each to their own. I play music because I enjoy writing music and to connect with musicians. But I would not like to have it as a job, if I could choose in what business I had success, music would not be it. Just look at youtube when Steve Harris is having a walk trough Moscow... Let the man be.

I don't think anyone is arguing that. But I can definitely say if Maiden were a pub band I wouldn't get to see them live.

Fair enough. To some its all about the show. Most of the material from the first two records were played in 1976-77. I would love to see a show from that era. And also one in 1979, an early Paul show. I would love it!

To connect this discussion to the topic, I would love to have seen the Gothenburg 1995 show live. The band and Blaze sounded amazing on the b-sides. The last four Gothenburg shows with Bruce has been in Ullevi, a venue that holds 55000. The 1995 Gothenburg show was attended by 800..

Back