General fan vibe during the Blaze days

Well it did feel like this in 95. Fortunately, thanks to No Prayer and Fear I was already used to being disappointed by my favourite band, and besides I was so deep into the Norwegian black metal scene then that it didn't really affect me much.

it really is shocking how poor Blaze's performances are at times - he could sometimes handle his own material, but on almost every other track, he has next to no range, strains for notes so often, has real problems with pitch.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I will never understand what went throught Harris's mind when he replaced such a technically great singer with Blaze. Still always enjoyed Blaze's studio vocals and some of the bootlegs, plus the live B-sides.

I think part of the issue was the inevitable comparison between Maiden's output and Bruce & Adrian's output during the same timeframe. For many people, 1995-1998 showed Bruce & Adrian putting out some of the strongest work of their career (minus Psycho Motel's State Of Mind) while Maiden put out some of the weakest work of theirs. This, combined with Blaze's performance issues and poor album sales, made late 90s Maiden look like a shell of the band they used to be.

In situations like this, people's opinions tend to be formed by either loyalty or merit. Some people genuinely enjoyed the new twist Blaze brought to the group, and they liked the dark vibe on The X Factor. Some people didn't like Blaze very much, but they were loyal Iron Maiden fans, so they actively defended the choice and tried to find ways to enjoy the new music anyway. Some people hated Blaze irrationally because they were loyal Bruce fans and he wasn't Bruce, and those people would have rejected him regardless of how well he sang. And some people like myself gave Blaze a fair shake, but were heavily disappointed by his performance and couldn't find a way to enjoy most of the new material.

..Don't you think I'm a saviour, Don't you think I could save you, Don't you think I could save Your life, Don't you think I'm a saviour, Don't you think I could save you, Don't you think I could save Your life, Don't you think I'm a saviour, Don't you think I could save you, Don't you think I could save Your life, Don't you think I'm a saviour, Don't you think I could save you, Don't you think I could save Your life,Don't you think I'm a saviour, Don't you think I could save you, Don't you think I could save Your life....arghhh!

Something tells me Martin Birch wouldn’t have put up with that nonsense.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I will never understand what went throught Harris's mind when he replaced such a technically great singer with Blaze. Still always enjoyed Blaze's studio vocals and some of the bootlegs, plus the live B-sides.

My perception is that Harris was big into the "feel", "dedication", and "vibe" more than technical prowess. Blaze had the chemistry and unwavering commitment that Harris was looking for in that particular time period (his lower register was also a good fit for the X Factor material).

In retrospect, it wasn't a good business decision given the struggle with the older material...but as Bruce and Adrian had both left because their heads weren't fully in the game, Harris probably loved Blaze's steadfast loyalty to the cause. Even after the split, Blaze was pure class.

My perception is that Harris was big into the "feel", "dedication", and "vibe" more than technical prowess. Blaze had the chemistry and unwavering commitment that Harris was looking for in that particular time period (his lower register was also a good fit for the X Factor material).

In retrospect, it wasn't a good business decision given the struggle with the older material...but as Bruce and Adrian had both left because their heads weren't fully in the game, Harris probably loved Blaze's steadfast loyalty to the cause. Even after the split, Blaze was pure class.
Agree, If Blaze had something it was feel, dedication and vibe.

I really do not like the Blaze era. It was something completely different than Iron Maiden and it should have been called something else. If that was the case I would have maybe appreciate it a little bit more and I think this is one of the main reasons that the fans reacted the way they did. When you have something as sacred as Maiden and you put something out that is completely different, fans will react. That's just the way it is.

Having said that , I think that "Sign of the Cross" is one of Maiden's best songs (especially when sung by Bruce Dickinson during "Rock in Rio". I also like "Virus" a lot.

All in all it was just a period the band had to go through I guess.

Blaze taking over from Bruce wasn’t all that different from Bruce taking over from Paul, except fans having unrealistic standards after all that time with Bruce.

Some people didn't like Blaze very much, but they were loyal Iron Maiden fans, so they actively defended the choice and tried to find ways to enjoy the new music anyway.
That was me (among others). ;)

By the way, your entire post can be turned into an interesting poll: "what kind of Blaze-years IM fan were you?" with extra entries for those who discovered this period after the reunion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Here's what Harris and the boys+ management were thinking. Blaze era = lost revnue + fan disaapointment, reflected in record sales and concert attendence. It was a brilliant decison to ditch Blaze and MAKE MAIDEN GREAT AGAIN!

In 3 , 2, 1 ...here comes the army of name callers to call me a troll...LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Here's what Harris and the boys+ management were thinking. Blaze era = lost revnue + fan disaapointment, reflected in record sales and concert attendence. It was a brilliant decison to ditch Blaze and MAKE MAIDEN GREAT AGAIN!

In 3 , 2, 1 ...here comes the army of name callers to call me a troll...LOL
Nobody ever argued that the Blaze era was a poor era for Iron Maiden in terms of record sales and fan disappointment, they merely pointed out that there was a lot else going on at the time. Of course, you didn't really respond to fekso's actual point, which was that he didn't understand what Steve was thinking at the time. And hey, that's fair - if you don't like that era, you don't like the era.

I will, however, ask that everyone uses the appropriate tone of respect when it comes to talking about the era. Even if you don't like Blaze's contributions to the band (which is perfectly fine), I'm sick and tired of seeing people act disrespectful and then being falsely surprised when they're called on it. There will be moderation going forward as needed. Thanks.

It was something completely different than Iron Maiden and it should have been called something else.
I don't think that's true, and if it were true, then Blaze era songs like Sign of the Cross and The Clansman wouldn't have gotten the rave reviews they got when Bruce sang them. Iron Maiden remains simply Steve Harris's heavy metal band, so his direction is what dominates what Iron Maiden is - you don't have to agree with Steve that he's taken good directions at times, of course. Purely up to you to like what you do or don't. But yeah, I don't think there's a good argument for considering it "something else" other than to try to pretend it didn't happen. The Blaze years had dividends that paid off in terms of the longevity of the band, the development of Janick as a songwriter and as an integral member of Iron Maiden, and providing a solid break allowing Bruce and Steve to come to terms with each other - even if you don't like the music that much.

If I have to accept that the same band that came out with brilliance like Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Phantom of the Opera, and Paschendale also turned out crap like The Apparition, Chains of Misery, Gangland and New Frontier, then I think it's okay for you to accept that they did some stuff you also didn't like!

Here's what I think Harris and the boys+ management were thinking: Blaze era = lost revenue + fan disappointment, reflected in record sales and concert attendance. It was a brilliant decison to ditch Blaze.

Have you ever wondered if it’s your delivery as opposed to your opinion that people have trouble with?
Why not the above, rather than what you originally posted?

Back