General album artwork appreciation

I have a few of my records in frames on the wall and this is one of my favourites, though it confuses my children.491AA5CC-FCDA-4C48-9A29-45996878CD0E.jpeg

Attachments

• DCAA146B-D079-4A90-9896-EE15F09D2525.jpeg
    DCAA146B-D079-4A90-9896-EE15F09D2525.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 5
2 Saxon covers this time:

The first one is from the compilation album Heavy Metal Thunder - the dark colours are perfect for the setting, the knight and the horse are drawn great and rocks/mountains/fog is probably the most fitting background for this cover. I'm a big fan of album covers with knights. Honestly, this cover would have been great for their Killing Ground album, but I guess it would be similar to the Crusader album cover.

The second one is from the cover of the box set Eagles And Dragons - castle, eagle, dragon... perfect cover for a heavy metal album. The blue colour is rightfully chosen and the view of the artwork is awesome.

heavy metal thunder.jpg eagles and dragons.jpg

Can't even remember how or when I discovered this one, Paradise Gallows by Inter Arma.

a1569848030_10.jpg

Staggeringly beautiful colours, but with an eerie feel from the sun setting behind the tower looming in the background and the hanged man. The colours of the sky also makes it appear otherworldly, bit of a contrast to what looks like a ship from our world's past. The music's a little extreme for my liking but I wish I could get into it just so I could plaster this masterpiece on my wall.

I know that Priest themselves don't think very highly of it, but I've always liked this one. It derives an unsettling effect from its subtlety, and I can't detach it from the time it was made: Back in 1981, people actually were afraid of nuclear war and were afraid to see something like this in the sky some day. To me, it looks like a view taken from a window on a plane, and as a frequent flyer, I do occasionally think back to this cover and what it would be like if I'm sitting in a plane while nuclear holocaust is starting. Very effective.

I've never seen it as a nuclear explosion myself, though that's an interesting way of looking at it. I have always quite liked this one too, despite the simplicity and how un-metal it is. I especially love the colours, they remind me of a low sunset and I think that compliments the melancholy tone of the album perfectly.

It's a road trip album for someone driving through the desert, not knowing where they're going but in their heart knowing it's going to be alright. I know that's basically describing the lyrics of Heading Out to the Highway, but that feel carries through the rest of the album. Except Hot Rockin'. God knows where that fits in.

I've never seen it as a nuclear explosion myself, though that's an interesting way of looking at it. I have always quite liked this one too, despite the simplicity and how un-metal it is. I especially love the colours, they remind me of a low sunset and I think that compliments the melancholy tone of the album perfectly.

Not really a nuclear explosion, I just always thought of it as an ICBM headed for its target or something like that.

OS0zMTM4LmpwZWc.jpeg
Just...wow! Vintage Andreas Marschall, never heard a single song by this band but this cover is so intriguing I want to check them out.

Gamma Ray are on tour now and there's one new artwork (a reworked version of Somewhere Out In Space?) they're showing on screen - I mean, a favorite of mine. The theme, the colors, the ancient temple, the sci-fi touch... everything is so cool and fitting for a metal band. I can imagine Maiden having such a cover, slightly different though. Love it. I want a proper picture of it.

grl24.png

Gamma Ray are on tour now
I had no idea -- too bad it's only South America, and half the band is benched with injuries.

I seriously thought Gamma Ray was toast, since we haven't gotten a new album in 10 years and Kai is clearly off in Helloween land for the foreseeable future. Interesting.

Back