Gangland

How good is Gangland on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
6/10 THE MOST forgettable song ever, by the time its finished i cant think how to rate it. ... just 6

This one along with Invaders are the unlucky ones of this album.I like the drum intro again.The instrumental parts really stand out. 9/10

6/10

"Dead men tell no tales" is such a promising lyric for a chorus, but the melody is a bit lost on this one.

8. This is another song that I have recently started to finally apreciate. It is a great rocker that can really get you pumped up. The chorus is not that great though.

5/10. Pretty forgettable song, and the parts that I can remember for any length of time, I don't particularly care for.

Woah, I'm a bit surprised at the hammering this song is recieving from most on here!

Only 2 things about this song bring it down slightly for me. The "Where the jailbirds die" lyric sounds a bit silly and lets the chorus down a bit. The "Dead men tell no tales, in Gangland, murder's up for sale" is a fantastic line though. The other thing, is the solo section sounds far too short, H's solo in particular. So I'm not surprised to hear that the song actually did have a longer solo section originally. Overall though, this is a great song, with powerful drumming, a very intense vocal by Bruce, and the music sounds grimy and gritty, very befitting for the lyrical content. "Total Eclipse" definitely should have been on the album originally, but not at the expense of "Gangland". They both should be on it!

Reading "30 years of the beast" by Paul Stenning the other day in the bit about NOTB, he mentions Gangland as being instrumental... I am assuming he was just being rather dumb, or was Gangland once released as an instrumental?

Never released as an instrumental, and I also don't recall having read that it was meant to be an instrumental either.

Mmm, thats what I thought. There was no other mention of it being instrumental in the book it just said (offhand, books in the other room and I'm lazy) "The throwaway instrumental Gangland" or something similar when going through a description of the tracks.

Another filler track that is neither bad nor good, but fun. As far as the solo question re: Bruce's comment, it absolutely sounds like something is missing on the record. Perhaps that little bit after the big shriek was meant as an intro to H's solo, because it sounds awfully empty after that short lead part.

Whaat!? I didn't know so many Maiden fans hated this song. Sure it's not the best on the album but it's solid and really enjoyable. I never skip it while listening to NOTB.

I see this as a fascinating metal-jazz experiment, especially in the chords and rhythmic patterns. Clive's drumming is phenomenal, and I really like Bruce's aggressive singing that still contains those beautiful soaring vocals. The machine gun like bass line gets me really pumped up, and there are some funky jazz chords in there that spruce it up. Not to mention that chilling modulation in the middle that leads into Adrian's kickass solo, which I've always really loved. The whole song is chock full of awesome melodies.

Sure, the lyrics aren't incredibly deep by any stretch of the imagination but they work perfectly for the song structure as well as atmosphere. Iron Maiden has plenty more songs with poetic and poignant lyrics if you want.

9/10, Idgaf.

Wow I don't understand the hate for this song. There are far worse songs on the Di'Anno albums that preceded NOTB. This is a weaker song on this album, sure, but it's far from bad. The gangland chorus does get repetitive.

8/10

This feels like the second Invaders on the album for me. Well played and well executed filler. Bruce's power in this one is sick!

6/10

Adrian seems to be the only member willing to co-write songs with the drummer.

The lyrical concept of this song is fantastic but the actual lyrics are a little underwhelming.

Gangland was poorly positioned (hidden) in the tracklist and may have been received more welcoming if situated towards the end of side 1. In fact, I've always felt that side 2 should have been side 1 and the title track the album opener.

The Number Of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Gangland
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Invaders
Children Of The Damned
The Prisoner
22 Acacia Avenue

Back